Inspecting Composite Airframes

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
If one were looking to purchase a Glassair what would be the best way to inspect the fuselage to confirm proper construction? I know nothing about fiberglass construction except how it is done, I've never worked with it. Too many thumbs.

Well delamination would be the biggest thing to look for. The good thing about a Glasair though is that it’s a kit and the layups are already done. The wings and fuse are essentially putting two halves together. Now, there’s always the chance of a flaw at the factory and a chance of hidden damage, but rare for a Glasair. I’d be more concerned about a plans built aircraft as far as delam.

Crack in the finish is normal. That’s either the paint or the gel coat beneath that has cracked over time. Even on the Glasair, you’ll see common areas of cracks. I had a so called “fiberglass expert” sand some cracks off the finish because he was concerned about the fiber glass. The fiber glass was fine and he made a mess of sanding off the gel coat.

There is generally a lack of inspection plates on composites but the Glasair in particular isn’t bad. I’ve got two inspection plates on the bottom of each wing. Really not much to look for though. No corrosion to worry about unless it’s controls / hardware. Glasair did a good job of powder coating because mine doesn’t have a speck of rust on the push pull tubes.

There’s cautionary tales about UV damage with composites but again, I’d worry more about plans built. There’s the slight risk on extremely hot ramps, the airframe could get to glass transition temp (Tg). That’s when the resin gets liquified again. If you’ve seen the old Diamond Katanas, they have a temp indicator warning of this condition. Never actually heard of a plane getting into it. Most of your kit planes are built with in a controlled environment and some are autoclave so the odds of getting into Tg are slim.

Outside of all that, I’d just look at the same things you’d look at in a metal aircraft. Airframe wise, just look for any visible damage.

Well delamination would be the biggest thing to look for. The good thing about a Glasair though is that it’s a kit and the layups are already done. The wings and fuse are essentially putting two halves together. Now, there’s always the chance of a flaw at the factory and a chance of hidden damage, but rare for a Glasair. I’d be more concerned about a plans built aircraft as far as delam.

Crack in the finish is normal. That’s either the paint or the gel coat beneath that has cracked over time. Even on the Glasair, you’ll see common areas of cracks. I had a so called “fiberglass expert” sand some cracks off the finish because he was concerned about the fiber glass. The fiber glass was fine and he made a mess of sanding off the gel coat.

There is generally a lack of inspection plates on composites but the Glasair in particular isn’t bad. I’ve got two inspection plates on the bottom of each wing. Really not much to look for though. No corrosion to worry about unless it’s controls / hardware. Glasair did a good job of powder coating because mine doesn’t have a speck of rust on the push pull tubes.

There’s cautionary tales about UV damage with composites but again, I’d worry more about plans built. There’s the slight risk on extremely hot ramps, the airframe could get to glass transition temp (Tg). That’s when the resin gets liquified again. If you’ve seen the old Diamond Katanas, they have a temp indicator warning of this condition. Never actually heard of a plane getting into it. Most of your kit planes are built with in a controlled environment and some are autoclave so the odds of getting into Tg are slim.

Outside of all that, I’d just look at the same things you’d look at in a metal aircraft. Airframe wise, just look for any visible damage.

Great info, thanks.

I would get on with the chat forums for the type and sit back & read.
Find out which shops are the gurus for that type, or there may be some individuals who have built a dozen and have a solid background & willing to inspect.
If there is a type club, ask your question of the leadership.
When I bought my Lancair, (pic <<<) it became clear very early who was the leader in airframe knowledge, turned out to be a very valuable resource.
Many of these used exp's, where the total numbers out there is small, will have their history well known to the crowd. When I was shopping, I could send an N-number to a couple people and know tons about it within a day, by email, from people who actually knew the builder, his quality, the problems of that particular bird.

I've read about trouble with the gear and parts availability issues.

Tap on ‘em with a quarter, if I remember the Airbus procedure correctly.

Back