Inner Tube Choices

Corton750

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Carl
Ive replaced a tube before on my Zenith Cruzer. Egads! $108 for an Air Classic! Bit the bullet and all has been well.

It’s Christmas list season, so I thought I’d put a tube on my list - just something to throw in the back to have on hand on x-c’s. Family members will balk at paying that price for a present so the thought struck: why not use a generic tube from Amazon.

ok. Nomex is now on for the scathing remarks. Let me clarify: this would be used only in an AOG situation when away from home base. It’s an experimental. One time use (well ok, may be a fuel stop or two to get home…).

Which got me to thinking: how foolish would that be? Why would it be foolish? I land at 50-55 mph, so it’s not like I’m landing a much heavier and faster plane. Aside from likely bleed down in pressure, what are the risks? Serious question; looking for knowledge to support future discussions.

Don't know about your wheels but on my lancairs tiny wheels if the pressure bleeds down the tubes tend to pinch and fail. Avoiding the hassle of a flat is worth the cost of a better tube.

If you can order from vans they had cheap leakguard tubes last I checked.

Those are good prices! I thought I checked Desser in the past; I wonder if they lowered prices?

I guess the question becomes ... why put in a cheap tube to get you home and then put in a high dollar replacement? If you need a tube might as well only have to change it once.
yes, good logic. My main thought was that for something to hold onto just as a backup, with no intent to use, why spend $80-100?

yes, good logic. My main thought was that for something to hold onto just as a backup, with no intent to use, why spend $80-100?
Especially for a tube that’s (hopefully) gonna sit in a box in the back of the airplane until you have to throw it away because it is dry rotted.

Back