!@#%ing Hogs!

and IME you can usually drop 2 or 3 before they figure out what's going on....

The thing is that animals learn. If some of herd dies every time they go to one particular location, well, they learn to not go to that location.

I've seen two guys with SKSs and lots of beer take out an entire herd from a porch.

I have an SKS and I'm not that good ... or fast.

They must not have had any cover nearby.

My go to gun for sport shooting hogs is the .220 Swift on top with an ND-3 laser designator. You hunt at dusk or night because they stay in cover during the day. You can kill maybe one or two, but they catch on quick and take off then they're gone the rest of the night. The .220 round will not ricochet and kill your cows ... :)

The thing is that animals learn. If some of herd dies every time they go to one particular location, well, they learn to not go to that location.

naw, hogs aren't that smart. We used to mix deer corn in with kool-aid and put it in the same spot every night and get a few. sometimes they even came back an hour later right where their dead compatriots lay.

I have an SKS and I'm not that good ... or fast.

They must not have had any cover nearby.

My go to gun for sport shooting hogs is the .220 Swift on top with an ND-3 laser designator. You hunt at dusk or night because they stay in cover during the day. You can kill maybe one or two, but they catch on quick and take off then they're gone the rest of the night. The .220 round will not ricochet and kill your cows ... :)

Where I used to hunt them we didn't have any livestock to worry about, just hogs to blast. It was a maximum firepower scenario. As far as I know, no one was using anything bolt-action.

naw, hogs aren't that smart. We used to mix deer corn in with kool-aid and put it in the same spot every night and get a few. sometimes they even came back an hour later right where their dead compatriots lay.

damn, even antelope are that smart...

I

My go to gun for sport shooting hogs is the .220 Swift on top with an ND-3 laser designator]

What is the laser designator for ? Guiding air-strikes ?

A neighbor uses an AR-15 with a suppressor. That sounds like the right tool for the job.

Hogs are tough! Up to 125 yards: Marlin 45-70.
Longer range?: .300 Win Mag. They don't even take a step!

Hogs are tough! Up to 125 yards: Marlin 45-70.
Longer range?: .300 Win Mag. They don't even take a step!

I was surprised by some of the posters choosing smaller rounds. We consider the .308 a good starting point, the .300 win mag. or .338 Lupua is an excellent choice especially if you want to reach out there over 1,000. Of course that gets pricey, so we have been sticking with a 175 grain .308 in an AR-10 platform with a Nightforce setup for low light. Loaded right you can stay supersonic at 1,000 yards so it seems to be a good balance point.

To the OP: I see that you are in my state. If you'd like, PM me your approximate location, I will load a box of my .308 match-grade stuff and I can maybe fly out to your place and we can have fun one weekend. Hogs don't usually run for just any clap, crack or pop half a mile away.

To everyone eager to hunt my hogs, what do YOU have that I can hunt?

My go to gun for sport shooting hogs is the .220 Swift

I much prefer my old Remington 700 / .244 with hand loaded 85 grain nosler partition.

I was surprised by some of the posters choosing smaller rounds. We consider the .308 a good starting point, the .300 win mag. or .338 Lupua is an excellent choice especially if you want to reach out there over 1,000. Of course that gets pricey, so we have been sticking with a 175 grain .308 in an AR-10 platform with a Nightforce setup for low light. Loaded right you can stay supersonic at 1,000 yards so it seems to be a good balance point.

The old saying goes, big guns are for bad shots

I've never had one run away from a good hit with the .220 swift.

The muzzle velocity is so fast, I think the bullet explodes or mushrooms on impact.

And it won't ricochet. You want to see a rancher get upset, just start putting holes in his cows. Or anything else for that matter.

Are you sure you haven't? I know of some bbq places that smoke wild hog in addition to farm raised and nobody even knows the difference.

Are you sure you haven't? I know of some bbq places that smoke wild hog in addition to farm raised and nobody even knows the difference.

They say hogs are relatively clean, but you couldn't tell it by the way they stink.

I don't want to touch the bastards.

Buzzard's gotta eat too ... :yesnod:

Well Tom come on out and we'll make it interesting. Say $100 a hog?:)

We'll be down later in the spring. does Tx have a hog hunting season or is it open year around?

We'll be down later in the spring. does Tx have a hog hunting season or is it open year around?

No season. It is now even legal to shot them from helicopters (pork chopper law). You do need a hunting license though.

No season. It is now even legal to shot them from helicopters (pork chopper law). You do need a hunting license though.

What's a license for an out of state military vet cost?

No license necessary for Texas to hunt hogs...or Prairie Poodles or anything considered a pest...

Plenty of Californians here in the New California republic, if you're interested. It is still illegal but the state government is working on an exception. LOL

Seriously, though, PM me with a price and I can come out, take some down, haul them off and process, no inconvenience for you. Well, except a few touch-n-goes on your turf. And a beer or two. :)

Ummm.....quit putting out corn on your runway :)

Got to wonder what he has in that runway that interests the hogs. Digging up sugarbeets and ripping out cornstalks makes sense, but digging up a runway just sounds like spite. Maybe he has truffles growing in the runway ?

Large population of feral snipes around these parts. No bag limit, you can take every one you see. When ya coming over?

Got to wonder what he has in that runway that interests the hogs. Digging up sugarbeets and ripping out cornstalks makes sense, but digging up a runway just sounds like spite. Maybe he has truffles growing in the runway ?

The runway is like a bowl. Higher on each end than in the middle.

I think they're going after grub worms in the green spot where the water runs through there to a pond down lower. :dunno:

Ducks

1383084_10102327647861939_5084933374180332647_n.jpg

(these were taken legally by several hunters over a few days)

Man, that's beautiful, but every time I've ever duck hunted, I froze my cods off.

I'll take a rain check. :redface:

Been there done that.

Give me $450 and a Cabelas catalog. I'll get you well insulated chest waders, hunting jacket (liner and shell), gloves, insulated face mask and hat.

Saturday afternoon was hunting on the chesapeake in 20kt winds and snow. Was I cold.. Nope! Did we shoot a limit? Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No ranch owner I know including myself considers hogs in Texas an exotic...anything you have to remove 70% of the population each year to maintain what you have....is more like a cockroach...one of the biggest problem was 20 years ago when people were trapping and rereleasing them all over to hunt. We are now paying for our sins.. I routinely have out of state people over to hunt hogs and Coyotes and there is not a game warden in Texas that's going to ask for a license...during deer season its a common practice for many to shoot the big ones in the gut so they will run away and not die under a feeder...60 pounds and under they are fantastic table fare.

Back