!@#%ing Hogs!

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
Maybe you can see the hog holes just left of dead center in the picture right in the middle of our farm strip.

They made me say some bad words today.

But what a beautiful day to fly! :)

Last edited:
you want them hogs shot? I've got some time available... :D

nobody will hear a thing and we'll have ourselves some carnitas...

naw, just an 8mm x 06, a 2 liter coke bottle or three and a lot of time...

Looks pretty good to me....nice pavement, 30 ft wide.....that curve at the end could be dicey though....

naw, just an 8mm x 06, a 2 liter coke bottle or three and a lot of time...

We trap them 24/7/365.

I went to a hog symposium and they said even if you remove 60% of the hogs, you're just treading water. :mad2:

The big one's get real smart and are very hard to trap.

Looks pretty good to me....nice pavement, 30 ft wide.....that curve at the end could be dicey though....

That's what we call a farm to market road.

There's big trucks flying down that. :yikes:

We trap them 24/7/365.

I went to a hog symposium and they said even if you remove 60% of the hogs, you're just treading water. :mad2:

I live between 4 WMA areas that are overrun with hogs. Guy running the WMA says we need to kill 80% of them every year just to keep the numbers stable. Friend from MT is flying in in a few weeks and we're going to see how many we can get.

We trap them 24/7/365.

traps, hell, I'm talking 235 grains on target at better than 2,000 fps. Hog ain't gonna like that one bit...

Heck ,if you are talking about the paved county road.. That curve is very gentle.. Any of us could land or take off from it...:yes:

That strip was too long. The hogs adjusted it down to appropriate size.

traps, hell, I'm talking 235 grains on target at better than 2,000 fps. Hog ain't gonna like that one bit...

So you shoot one, then the rest of them run off in the woods and you're done.

Not very effective. :nonod:

My hog trapper hates the helicopter and hunters especially with dogs. He says it just scatters them out and ****'s them all up and makes them harder to trap.

So you shoot one, then the rest of them run off in the woods and you're done.

not just one...they'll learn that when they enter that field they die

If you can take care of our hog problem totally, I'll buy you a keg. :goofy:

What do you do with them after you shoot em? On my friends ranch in cotulla we'd just let the buzzards take care of them. I've got jumpseat privs - could be a fun weekend activity.

What do you do with them after you shoot em? On my friends ranch in cotulla we'd just let the buzzards take care of them. I've got jumpseat privs - could be a fun weekend activity.

We make dog food out of them.

Hey, look on the bright side at least you can see the dirt, it isn't covered in this funny white stuff we have been shoveling up here.

I don't know about Texas hog, but back home in Arkansas, there's little I can think of that tastes better than wild hog!

:confused: That is some fine eating for dog food, but I'm sure the dogs appreciate it. I'd share it with them.

Probably so. The ones out here in the sticks are probably fine to eat but the ones around Savannah are not something I'd consume.

What affect does them eating domestic garbage have on their meat? We have some really high quality food in our garbage in America. :dunno:

Sows....sure. Boar? Shoot and leave where it falls. Piglets? Perfect for the BBQ!!!

If they're shot out in the pasture, I'll drag them off into a ditch so the bones won't punch a tire later. Bones last forever and they float on top of the ground and never subside into the soil it seems.

Our hog trapper takes them to Franklin or Mexia to a market where he gets money.

It's the funniest thing, but they want big hogs. The bigger the better. They even pay a premium for huge old hogs. Ship them off to Europe is what I heard. He knows a lady who makes tamales with them, and he says they're delicious. But she uses shoats not old bull hogs.... :redface:

Interesting array of opinions. My Texas neighbors and family might use small ones for sausage but don't process the big ones. As much time as I've spent there I've never even seen one.

It's the funniest thing, but they want big hogs. The bigger the better. They even pay a premium for huge old hogs. Ship them off to Europe is what I heard. He knows a lady who makes tamales with them, and he says they're delicious. But she uses shoats not old bull hogs.... :redface:

So it sounds like his interests and your interests dont really coincide. It seems like he uses your land to raise wild hogs :)

Where're you located? Dad has a 45-70 that needs to be used more than once.
And his 50cal needs to be worked some as well.

Way up north, (south side of RR) there was a bad hog problem, as well as turkeys. Every vehicle you saw on the road had either a smashed front end (hog), or a busted windshield (turkey). and they just drove 'em because there was no point in fixing them (would just happen again).

Last edited:
You just have to yell "HOG!! GET AWAY FROM THAT!!"
Wait...never mind...that's for helicopters, not strips. :)

Probably so. The ones out here in the sticks are probably fine to eat but the ones around Savannah are not something I'd consume.

If you guys shoot one... call me and I will pay to Fed EX the whole hog to Redtail in NJ.....:yes:.....:D...........;)

So it sounds like his interests and your interests dont really coincide. It seems like he uses your land to raise wild hogs :)

Calvin (our trapper) removes everything he traps. Big ones, little ones, all of them. He is not catching and releasing anything. The place he takes them pays for them all, just more for the big ones. So no, he is not counter to my interests.

It's a symbiotic relationship. I let him trap as many hogs as he can off my land for no payment to me, only to him when he takes them to the processing station. Otherwise you couldn't find anyone to do it. It is not big money. So the more he traps, the more he get's paid.

A wild pig will gestate and put out a litter of maybe up to fifteen piglets every three months, three weeks, and three days or 333 as it's known in the biz. If half those piglets survive, and half of those are female, you can do the math and it is an explosion of pigs in no time.

A wild pig will gestate and put out a litter of maybe up to fifteen piglets every three months, three weeks, and three days or 333 as it's known in the biz. If half those piglets survive, and half of those are female, you can do the math and it is an explosion of pigs in no time.

You might have more hogs than I have bullets...

You might have more hogs than I have bullets...

The only effective way to shoot hogs is with a helicopter. Because a chopper can circle on top and stick with them until they've killed pretty much the whole herd no matter where they go.

When you try to hunt them like you're talking about, you get one shot then they take off like lightning and bury themselves in the deepest cover they can find.

Trapping is much more effective because you try to trap the entire herd all at once. :wink2:

Last edited:
The only effective way to shoot hogs is with a helicopter. Because a chopper can circle on top and stick with them until they've killed pretty much the whole herd no matter where they go.

When you try to hunt them like you're talking about, you get one shot then they take off like lightning and bury themselves in the deepest cover they can find.

Trapping is much more effective because you try to trap the entire herd all at once. :wink2:

I've seen two guys with SKSs and lots of beer take out an entire herd from a porch.

Back