Industry: GA vs Commercial hours flown

MetalCloud

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MetalCloud
Anyone know the breakdown here? Commercial flights accounts for how many hours and GA accounts for how many?

Poorly phrased but I'm tired and coffee hasn't kicked in yet

I dare say its about 10-1 just assuming private pilots fly 100 hours a year.

I can only speak for my own logsbook, but 80% paid hours to 20% my plane in the nice months, 100% just work time in the winter

Mine are about 99% GA and 1% airlines but I doubt I'm typical...
250-300 hours in my Cirrus
50-100 hours in company Falcon 2000s (Part 91)
~1-2 international trips on the airlines

Man, I got to step my GA game up!

How exactly are you defining "GA" ?

In this scenario I'm thinking this:

Commercial: air carriers. Southwest, delta, etc
GA: everything else, including corporate jets, trainers, recreational, etc

I just mean in general. How many hours do commercial carriers fly vs non-commercial?

If you include cargo, like UPS, FedEx and a lot of smaller cargo carriers in your definition of GA, GA may win.

If you include cargo, like UPS, FedEx and a lot of smaller cargo carriers in your definition of GA, GA may win.

Why would you count them as GA? Why not count Southwest since they only fly "light twins"?

That's what I got from a cursory glance of the statistics. There are vastly more GA pilots, and even though most of us fly many fewer hours, it appears to be enough to make GA bigger, flight hour wise. Passenger count, obviously not.

I think "airlines" should be defined as part 121 operators (including cargo ops). Everything else should be GA.

But, this is exactly why I brought up how to define GA. Everyone defines it a bit different.

According to this, "revenue" aircraft hours for US carriers are about 17 million per year. That is if I'm reading the chart correctly.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/acts#MonthlySystem

View attachment 45377

Then there are these statistics for various types of GA.

https://www.nbaa.org/business-aviation/fact-book/business-aviation-fact-book-2014.pdf

View attachment 45376

Of course, these numbers are from different sources, with different methods of data collection. I'm not even sure how they go about figuring out the number of GA hours.
So, if I'm reading that right, it's roughly 3:1 GA?

So, if I'm reading that right, it's roughly 3:1 GA?
Not sure how you came up with that. From the charts it looks like it's airlines 17 million, and GA 24 million. But that doesn't seem correct to me. Not sure how these numbers were derived. Maybe someone else can come up with other charts.

Not sure how you came up with that. From the charts it looks like it's airlines 17 million, and GA 24 million. But that doesn't seem correct to me. Not sure how these numbers were derived. Maybe someone else can come up with other charts.
Right... Somewhere closer to 3:2

In this scenario I'm thinking this:

Commercial: air carriers. Southwest, delta, etc
GA: everything else, including corporate jets, trainers, recreational, etc

Ok, well that changes things, in that case it's about 98% GA for me, 2% random airline flight.

Ok, well that changes things, in that case it's about 98% GA for me, 2% random airline flight.
I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the OP doesn't give a rats butt about your logbook and personal habits. I believe he wants to know, in general, the total number of GA hours vs Airline hours being flown in a given time period.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the OP doesn't give a rats butt about your logbook and personal habits. I believe he wants to know, in general, the total number of GA hours vs Airline hours being flown in a given time period.

Yeah. Unfortunately I haven't been able to phrase it that way lol. Yeah. Just wondering what the overall comparison is. I figured it'd be a LOT more GA at first.

Any idea what number of PPLs get instrument rating? I'm guessing less than half but I don't know.

.... And where are you going to get that info??

I'd think the best bet is to average out some random folks, like asking this question on here, last I checked there is no real hours flown by GA tracking system.

.... And where are you going to get that info??

I'd think the best bet is to average out some random folks, like asking this question on here, last I checked there is no real hours flown by GA tracking system.
See Everskyward's post a few above yours. Thats the type of info needed.

Personal experiences won't even be close. 200 people could count the same hour per airline flight.

That stat looks like total garbage, no one tracks GA hours.

Well, we know the number of planes in the GA fleet. Obtain an average number of hours flown a year (poll owners and IA's). Then multiply. Could get some idea based on some fairly accurate assumptions. 200,000 planes times 100 hours is 20 million. I dunno.

Back