Indianapolis CFI or Training Schools

KramerK

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Damon
I appreciate the feedback from my other thread. Does anyone have any experience with the training facilities in Indianapolis (I'm on the north side of town)? I would also consider a standalone CFI (prefer CFII but whose picky) that's looking for more hours and has a plane.

Thanks!

I do my training out of Indianapolis Metro (KUMP). Tom Wood Aviation is the FBO. I’m on the north side of Indy too, and the airport is only about 10 min drive for me, which is a huge convenience factor.

I started in July and have had great experiences there so far. Nice group of people who were very patient with me when I first started and had no clue how things worked. Plenty of nice, well maintained airplanes to choose from. Costs seem reasonable and pretty much on par with other local flight schools. CFI time can be a bit tough to schedule as they are pretty busy, but once you get in with a CFI you like and get a routine schedule going, it seems to work out.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Always happy to connect with other local student pilots.

I trained at Indy Metro (KUMP) about 5 years ago. They have a nice fleet for training including 2 162s, 1 brand new 172 (nice!), 1 newish g1000 172, and an older 172 with steam gauges. All planes are in near new or very good condition and well maintained. You won’t be flying old rat traps. They also have a citabria for tail wheel training, a brand new 182 for HP, and a 172rg for complex. Everyone is friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend Indy Metro.

I do my training out of Indianapolis Metro (KUMP). Tom Wood Aviation is the FBO. I’m on the north side of Indy too, and the airport is only about 10 min drive for me, which is a huge convenience factor.

I started in July and have had great experiences there so far. Nice group of people who were very patient with me when I first started and had no clue how things worked. Plenty of nice, well maintained airplanes to choose from. Costs seem reasonable and pretty much on par with other local flight schools. CFI time can be a bit tough to schedule as they are pretty busy, but once you get in with a CFI you like and get a routine schedule going, it seems to work out.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Always happy to connect with other local student pilots.
If you see 172 N8050E in the pattern at KUMP, that would be me. I try to get out there a couple of times a week.

I trained at Indy Metro (KUMP) about 5 years ago. They have a nice fleet for training including 2 162s, 1 brand new 172 (nice!), 1 newish g1000 172, and an older 172 with steam gauges. All planes are in near new or very good condition and well maintained. You won’t be flying old rat traps. They also have a citabria for tail wheel training, a brand new 182 for HP, and a 172rg for complex. Everyone is friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend Indy Metro.
They’ve also recently added a 2018 Piper Archer, if low wing is your thing. Haven’t taken a ride in it yet, but looking forward to giving it a try. I’m training in the 162s and have a blast flying those.

If you see 172 N8050E in the pattern at KUMP, that would be me. I try to get out there a couple of times a week.
Very cool. I’ll keep an eye out for you. I’m sure we’ve already crossed paths at some point. I’ve been out there 1-2 times per week since July and most recently just doing laps in the pattern to fine tune my landings.

Although I don’t have any experience with them, your other options outside of KUMP would most likely be KTYQ (near Zionsville), KMQJ (just east of Indy), or KEYE (Eagle Creek - northwest side). May be helpful in case you want to try different airports or CFIs.

Thanks. I've looked at KUMP and KTYQ (it's 10 min away from me). Will look into KEYE. Thx.

I also did my training for my private at KUMP. I started before it was Tom Woods, but it became Tom Woods by the time I finished up. The maintenance department is very well respected, and we take our Cardinal there for work, even though we hangar it at KEYE. No complaints with Tom Wood. Obviously, your personal experience is going to mostly depend on if you connect with your instructor. But no reason not to start there if the location is convenient, and the prices seem acceptable. I never felt that that they tried to rip me off by running up hours, and setting up endless pointless stage checks. I got my private right around 50 hours, so they obviously weren't trying to milk me for money by running up the hours needlessly. I went back there earlier this year for a flight review, and did have some difficulty getting on the calendar because they seem busy. Last I checked, virtually all of the instructors had their CFII, and I think some have their MEII.

I also did a little bit of training for my instrument rating with an independent CFII that also trained out of the FBO a KTYQ. I ended up not clicking totally with the CFII (mostly due to scheduling and location issues), and went to another independent that was closer to where I hangar my plane to finish up. Nothing against that instructor. I know he would be a great instructor for most students.

If you want a referral for an independent CFII, I can give you a couple. Just PM me.

I know of a high school age student at Tom Wood now that had a bit of an issue with his medical certificate. I was able to give his mom some guidance to help him through that minefield. It seemed that he was going to be blindsided when he got to that phase, but we managed to avert that disaster. I am not sure the instructors there really give good proactive advice about that issue. So, don't count on them to do so. Be sure to read up on the medical issues section of this board. You are likely to get much better information and advice here.

Back