Incident at Tampa International

markab

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
markab
Flying over Tampa International today my wife noticed the emergency responders out on the runway. Did anyone hear anything about what had happened? I've not seen anything on the local news... she snapped a picture from 3500. Looks like there was foam out on the runway, maybe a gear up landing?

Attachments

• IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 147
Tampa a nice airport,glad everything turned out fine .

Could it be the plane that blew a tire on departure?
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/149563298-story

Happens when they abort the takeoff (usually no greater than 80 knots or V1 speed, depending on the particular airline's SOP. Any faster they continue takeoff and return for landing. They get on the brakes, which can get very hot and can blow a tire or tires, sometimes catching fire, which apparently is what happened here. FD will spray the tire w/ a retardant to put it out.

Glad it wasn't worse and everyone is safe.

Last edited:
I was on the line with Tampa Approach w/VFR flight following and i never would of known an incident had just occurred. Really happy to see that everyone got out of the fire without harm.

I flew over TPA today also but didn't see anything, what time was this?

Happens when they abort the takeoff (usually no greater than 80 knots or V1 speed, depending on the particular airline's SOP. Any faster they continue takeoff and return for landing. They get on the brakes, which can get very hot and can blow a tire or tires, sometimes catching fire, which apparently is what happened here. FD will spray the tire w/ a retardant to put it out.

Glad it wasn't worse and everyone is safe.
Fuse plugs also will let go with high brake assembly temps and subsequent high wheel Temps. Prevents explosive failure of the high PSI tires.

The trucks roll at major airports far more than the average person realizes.
Yeah, I've witnessed several at Oakland.

I haven't seen them blow foam yet, but they roll every time some bizjet radios in with a faulty gear indication, which seems to happen with some regularity. That's pretty disruptive, since there has been construction on the North Field and one runway is frequently closed.

Back