In to Canada! What do ya need from me, EH!?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I believe I have met all the requirements for a trip into Canada.

I paid the $65 for my FCC radio operators license [RR]
I paid the $165 for the Airplanes FCC license [AC]
I paid the $27.50 for the annual Customs Decal
I signed up for the eapis site to file the nessesary stuff when departing and arriving
I have the required insurance
I have my passport
I have all other required aircraft documents etc..

My question is, What does Canada need from me?

Is there any annual Decals I need to purchase from them?

Do I need to contact anyone up there for the trip in and out or does the eapis process handle all that on the Canada side as well?

Surely they must want something from me.. :dunno:

WOW....

What a pain in the ass it is to go to Canada....:mad2::mad2:...

Just makes it one less place for me to visit and spend my hard earned money..:yes::rolleyes:

Rental car when you get there and a hotel reservation, Canadian currency. You may pay landing fee, depending on airport $25.00 or so. Don't they require 406 MHz ELT?

File flight plan at least one hour prior to flight. Canadian customs use (888-CAN-PASS) or (888-226-7277). Call at least 2 hours before flight.

In White Horse, Yukon were I go. You call customs and they either come visit you or give you a entrance number. Write it done and leave.

The only time I was delayed was when we brought our 10 yr old son with use. Customs asked Matt our son if he was here of his own free will. Guess they were checking for child abduction or something. Had to wait 1 hour by plane before customs showed up.

Customs coming back in US, have the paperwork filled out in advance. Don't exit plane till customs shows up.

Last edited:
The only time I was delayed was when we brought our 10 yr old son with use. Customs asked Matt our son if he was here of his own free will. Guess they were checking for child abduction or something. Had to wait 1 hour by plane before customs showed up.

Customs coming back in US, have the paperwork filled out in advance. Don't exit plane till customs shows up.

That could go bad if your kid has something against you that day! :rofl:

Second the don't exit until customs shows up. When I was an intern at the local major airport I could talk to the pilots as long as they stayed on the steps and we didn't exchange anything. I couldn't even take their extra meals from them as it had to be incinerated. :rolleyes2:

WOW....

Just makes it one less place for me to visit and spend my hard earned money..:yes::rolleyes:

Sounds quite normal for international travel these days. Even traveling via commercial means I still have to pay ~$50 depending on where I'm leaving from. Some of it is included in your plane/train ticket now days. Plus countries like Russia and China require Visas before you even arrive.

It's quite easy to leave the U.S. as we don't have exit control. Coming back is the b**ch. However, since I've done it for most of my life it doesn't bother me anymore. "Yes officer, my name is....." "Yes sir I stayed at....".

Now since getting Global Entry I don't talk to anyone, I just scan my hand and answer three computerized questions. Easy pezzey

Into Canada is easy, I've done it dozens of times, all but two times have just been a phone call after landing. One time we actaully landed at an airport with Canadian Customs on the field, I think it was Windsor. The other time we had a landing gear issue on take off and rescheduled our arrival time twice, so the had an officer meet us in Port Elgin. Still an easy deal. US customs are a crap shoot, it's 50/50 whether you get a great officer or Paul Blart mall cop!:mad2: Go enjoy Canada!

The only time I was delayed was when we brought our 10 yr old son with use. Customs asked Matt our son if he was here of his own free will. Guess they were checking for child abduction or something. Had to wait 1 hour by plane before customs.

You're lucky they didn't ask for more documentation. We ran into a situation with some passengers where the mother's last name was different than the kids' (she kept her maiden name) so they were not going to let them enter Canada without speaking to the other parent. They called him on his cell phone. They suggested that she carry a letter from the father next time. I don't know what they do when the other parent is deceased or absent.

WOW....

Not one of those items is required by Canada, including the passport. They're all required by Uncle Sam.

You're lucky they didn't ask for more documentation. We ran into a situation with some passengers where the mother's last name was different than the kids' (she kept her maiden name) so they were not going to let them enter Canada without speaking to the other parent. They called him on his cell phone. They suggested that she carry a letter from the father next time. I don't know what they do when the other parent is deceased or absent.

A court order granting custody works.

Parents absconding with kids across international borders is more common than you may think. When my wife takes our daughter to visit family in Canada, she has a letter from me every single time.

That could go bad if your kid has something against you that day! :rofl:

Second the don't exit until customs shows up. When I was an intern at the local major airport I could talk to the pilots as long as they stayed on the steps and we didn't exchange anything. I couldn't even take their extra meals from them as it had to be incinerated. :rolleyes2:

Sounds quite normal for international travel these days. Even traveling via commercial means I still have to pay ~$50 depending on where I'm leaving from. Some of it is included in your plane/train ticket now days. Plus countries like Russia and China require Visas before you even arrive.

It's quite easy to leave the U.S. as we don't have exit control. Coming back is the b**ch. However, since I've done it for most of my life it doesn't bother me anymore. "Yes officer, my name is....." "Yes sir I stayed at....".

Now since getting Global Entry I don't talk to anyone, I just scan my hand and answer three computerized questions. Easy pezzey

We don't have exit control? Then WTF is eAPIS?

WOW....

It's not Canada that requires all that crap. 100% of pain in the ass is here in the land of the free. I've flown into Canada a few times, I've never seen a Canadian customs officer in my life.

Will the eAPIS response include what/who I need to contact in Canada or is there a Canadian version of all this I need to figure out?

If someone has done this before, could you give me a little insight as to the steps I will take getting in and out of Canada?

also, Once I fly into Canada and clear customs, can I fly around to different airports freely?

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Will the eAPIS response include what/who I need to contact in Canada or is there a Canadian version of all this I need to figure out?

If someone has done this before, could you give me a little insight as to the steps I will take getting in and out of Canada?

also, Once I fly into Canada and clear customs, can I fly around to different airports freely?

Thanks. :)

This has most if not all of what you need.
The eAPIS reply is automated, confirming receipt and nothing else.
I've been doing this about a dozen times per year over the last few decades. It's all pretty painless.

Last edited:
Also be sure you have the aircraft registration in your name and not a pink temp.

As for the radio stuff, most folks don't bother and aren't asked, not much authority over there for busting you on it anyways.

I bought the decal after crossing back.

Just be sure your normal travel stuff is straight, passports are all good, names all match up etc.

Call canpas before you leave

The 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277) toll-free line is only available in Canada and the United States. If a flight originates outside Canada or the United States, the 1-888 number is not available and the pilot must call the TRC directly (long-distance charges may apply).May 6, 2013

A court order granting custody works.
The parents were not divorced. The misunderstanding was that the wife kept her maiden name while the children had the father's last name. They may have been questioning whether she was even their mother. Kids were not that young, maybe 12 and 15.

Last edited:
Just be careful of where you plan to clear customs. Most ports of entry are ok, others hit you with a (sometimes outrageous) fee.

Check out the "Comments about fees" in this link.

Once you clear customs in Canada you are free to fly were ever you want. You will need to file a flight plan for each flight that's all. I flew 3 days in Canada on my way from Juneau, AK to Chicago, IL.

Call CANPASS to enter and on flight plan returning to USA request customs. I always call US customs myself to be sure the information was passed on from FAA controllers.

Last edited:
This has most if not all of what you need.
The eAPIS reply is automated, confirming receipt and nothing else.
I've been doing this about a dozen times per year over the last few decades. It's all pretty painless.

RotorDude's link to AOPO "This" says it all

Don't they require 406 MHz ELT?

Nope. The government was all set to force it on us about six years ago, but it was sent back to committee for more discussion, where it is presumably still under discussion. By the time they get around to legislating it, the 406 satellites might be out of service.

ELTs only work about half the time, anyway. If that. If the airplane lands upside-down and sticks the antenna in the dirt, the signal will be weak. If it lands in water and sinks, or if it burns, or if it scatters itelf across a rocky mountainside, the ELT ain't gonna work.

Dan

I believe I have met all the requirements for a trip into Canada.

I paid the $65 for my FCC radio operators license [RR]
I paid the $165 for the Airplanes FCC license [AC]
I paid the $27.50 for the annual Customs Decal
I signed up for the eapis site to file the nessesary stuff when departing and arriving
I have the required insurance
I have my passport
I have all other required aircraft documents etc..

My question is, What does Canada need from me?

Is there any annual Decals I need to purchase from them?

Do I need to contact anyone up there for the trip in and out or does the eapis process handle all that on the Canada side as well?

Surely they must want something from me.. :dunno:

Call ahead to CANPASS. They'll want the same stuff eapis wants. Passport number for pilot and all pax, aircraft information. Departure point, arrival airport and ETA, reason for visit. Don't be late.

Depending on the airport you might be met by a customs person, or just another phone call.

I went from lower 48 to Alaska and returned, only contact with Canadian customs was by phone. You don't need to tell them you are leaving, unlike US CBP.

Once you clear customs in Canada you are free to fly were ever you want. You will need to file a flight plan for each flight that's all. I flew 3 days in Canada on my way from Juneau, AK to Chicago, IL.

Call CANPASS to enter and on flight plan returning to USA request customs. I always call US customs myself to be sure the information was passed on from FAA controllers.

Not for VFR you don't have to. You have to file a flight plan or "flight itinerary"

The difference is, a flight itinerary is left with a "responsible person", not with flight services.

Call ahead to CANPASS. They'll want the same stuff eapis wants. Passport number for pilot and all pax, aircraft information. Departure point, arrival airport and ETA, reason for visit. Don't be late.

Depending on the airport you might be met by a customs person, or just another phone call.

I went from lower 48 to Alaska and returned, only contact with Canadian customs was by phone. You don't need to tell them you are leaving, unlike US CBP.

Did you land in Canada on the way, if not and just flying in their airspace what did you need other than file a flight plan?

The parents were not divorced. The misunderstanding was that the wife kept her maiden name while the children had the father's last name. They may have been questioning whether she was even their mother. Kids were not that young, maybe 12 and 15.

It's amazing how much 9/11 changed international travel. We traveled to Canada by car with our kids in Feb. 2002. No documents at all except state IDs (and nothing for the kids). They let us in with some admonition. Basically... how do we know these are your kids? And then, come on in!

VFR Flight Plans

A flight plan must be filed with Air Traffic Services (ATS) for every flight except when:

• the flight is conducted within 25 nautical miles of the airport or departure or;
  • a flight itinerary is filed with ATS or a responsible person
A Flight Plan (see copy, P. 208) must be closed by way of filing an Arrival Report with ATS no later than the Search and Rescue Action Initiation Time (SRAIT) specified in the flight plan, or, in the event an SRAIT was not specified by the pilot, no later than 60 minutes after last reported estimated time of arrival (ETA). After these times search and rescue action is started.
Flight Itineraries can be used instead of Flight Plans. The Flight Itinerary can be filed with ATS or left with a “responsible person”—i.e., any person who agrees to notify ATS if the aircraft does not arrive within the required time limits. Where a Flight Itinerary is used, the pilot must report his or her arrival prior to the SRAIT (where an SRAIT has been specified) or within 24 hours of the last reported ETA. The SRAIT or 24 hours is also the time at which the responsible person must report the overdue status to ATS. The content of a Flight Itinerary is identical to the content of a Flight Plan. Note that the responsible person must be advised how to advise ATS of overdue status.

WOW....

When we landed in Penticton for customs they didn't even come to the airport, just talked to us on the phone. When we landed in Northway Alaska we were not allowed to get out of the aircraft until the customs officer came to us and then had to have our passport and additional photo ID visible in our hands as we stepped out.

The biggest hassle of going to Canada is getting back into your own country.

VFR Flight Plans

A flight plan must be filed with Air Traffic Services (ATS) for every flight except when:

• the flight is conducted within 25 nautical miles of the airport or departure or;
  • a flight itinerary is filed with ATS or a responsible person
A Flight Plan (see copy, P. 208) must be closed by way of filing an Arrival Report with ATS no later than the Search and Rescue Action Initiation Time (SRAIT) specified in the flight plan, or, in the event an SRAIT was not specified by the pilot, no later than 60 minutes after last reported estimated time of arrival (ETA). After these times search and rescue action is started.
Flight Itineraries can be used instead of Flight Plans. The Flight Itinerary can be filed with ATS or left with a “responsible person”—i.e., any person who agrees to notify ATS if the aircraft does not arrive within the required time limits. Where a Flight Itinerary is used, the pilot must report his or her arrival prior to the SRAIT (where an SRAIT has been specified) or within 24 hours of the last reported ETA. The SRAIT or 24 hours is also the time at which the responsible person must report the overdue status to ATS. The content of a Flight Itinerary is identical to the content of a Flight Plan. Note that the responsible person must be advised how to advise ATS of overdue status.

Good info fellas!

So, does this mean that once I am in Canada, as long as I let my wife know my route, I do not have to file flight plans? (while VFR ofcourse)

That's the way I read it. Flight plans are easy to file, that's what I do.

Did you land in Canada on the way, if not and just flying in their airspace what did you need other than file a flight plan?

Multiple stops for fuel and overnights. Abington to Fort St George, Ft Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse going north to Northway AK. Back through Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Ft Nelson, Grand Prairie, Edmonton to Cut Bank MT.

Filed VFR flight plans for each leg. Canada FSS considers you airborne on your proposed departure time. Class D towers automatically close flight plans. CARF do not.

That's the way I read it. Flight plans are easy to file, that's what I do.

What method do you use for filing your flight plans? I'm currently using Foreflight here in the USA.

Anyone here have both the USA and CANADA services through Foreflight? If so, is there any trick to filing in CANADA through Foreflight?

So to summarize the process.. What am I missing?

Going to Canada with all the required documents, stickers etc..

1. EAPIS - Create a new "Notice of Departure" and traveler manifest at least 1 hour prior to departing.
2. Contact CANPASS before I leave: 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277)
3. Fly to destination in Canada and then call CANPASS again to deal with customs.
4. File flight plans with CANPASS for my routes within Canada.

Coming back to the USA

1. EAPIS - Create a new "Notice of Arrival" and traveler manifest at least 1 hour prior to departing Canada.
2. File flight plans with CANPASS for my route back to the USA.
3. If I need to update my arrival or destination I can contact FSS in the air
3. Contact the number on the EAPIS and stay with airplane when back in the USA on the ground

Good info fellas!

So, does this mean that once I am in Canada, as long as I let my wife know my route, I do not have to file flight plans? (while VFR ofcourse)

As long as she agrees to notify search and rescue if you do not check in at each destination.

I used FSS and filed each leg. I also carried a SPOT that my wife and others could track on the computer. I programmed my spot that I could send a "landed safe" message from spot to txt phone message at the push of a button.

What method do you use for filing your flight plans? I'm currently using Foreflight here in the USA.

Anyone here have both the USA and CANADA services through Foreflight? If so, is there any trick to filing in CANADA through Foreflight?

So to summarize the process.. What am I missing?

Going to Canada with all the required documents, stickers etc..

1. EAPIS - Create a new "Notice of Departure" and traveler manifest at least 1 hour prior to departing.
2. Contact CANPASS before I leave: 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277)
3. Fly to destination in Canada and then call CANPASS again to deal with customs.
4. File flight plans with CANPASS for my routes within Canada.

Coming back to the USA

1. EAPIS - Create a new "Notice of Arrival" and traveler manifest at least 1 hour prior to departing Canada.
2. File flight plans with CANPASS for my route back to the USA.
3. If I need to update my arrival or destination I can contact FSS in the air
3. Contact the number on the EAPIS and stay with airplane when back in the USA on the ground

No, CANPASS is for inbound customs/immigration only.
You call NAV Canada (equivalent to FSS, called FIC) for flight plans while in Canada, see https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp15048-menu-5859.htm

And I don't know what "Contact the number on the EAPIS" means -- there is no number there to contact, afaik.

Last edited:
As long as she agrees to notify search and rescue if you do not check in at each destination.

I used FSS and filed each leg. I also carried a SPOT that my wife and others could track on the computer. I programmed my spot that I could send a "landed safe" message from spot to txt phone message at the push of a button.

Good Idea!

No, CANPASS is for inbound customs/immigration only.
You call NAV Canada (equivalent to FSS, called FIC) for flight plans while in Canada, see https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp15048-menu-5859.htm

And I don't know what "Contact the number on the EAPIS" means -- there is no number there to contact, afaik.

Ok, thanks. I watched a slideshow/video that acted like there would be a number to call on whatever paperwork you get sent after filing EAPIS. I must be confused :dunno: , so how do I know who to contact after landing back in the USA?

Good Idea!

Ok, thanks. I watched a slideshow/video that acted like there would be a number to call on whatever paperwork you get sent after filing EAPIS. I must be confused :dunno: , so how do I know who to contact after landing back in the USA?

For your flight back, you need to pre-coordinate the arrival with US CBP at your airport of entry. This must be done verbally by phone, after the inbound eAPIS is filed, to be sure there are no misunderstandings about any detail. They will verify your estimated arrival time and tell you exactly where to park on the field while waiting for the CBP agent. Do not exit the aircraft (or let any pax exit) before the agent gives you the green light.

For your flight back, you need to pre-coordinate the arrival with US CBP at your airport of entry. This must be done verbally by phone, after the inbound eAPIS is filed, to be sure there are no misunderstandings about any detail. They will verify your estimated arrival time and tell you exactly where to park on the field while waiting for the CBP agent. Do not exit the aircraft (or let any pax exit) before the agent gives you the green light.

Thanks! So basically, I need to call the US CBP office at my airport of entry after filing eAPIS and prior to departing Canada and they will inform me as to what I will need to do.

How long do those guys make you wait in the airplanes?

Thanks! So basically, I need to call the US CBP office at my airport of entry after filing eAPIS and prior to departing Canada and they will inform me as to what I will need to do.

I have heard horror stories....:(

Just to make this more fun both ways. Anyone take a rifle with them into Canada? I was thinking I may be flying over some pretty remote territory at times. I heard you can bring Hunting or survival guns somehow, just haven't looked into it yet.

Welcome, and yes.
The typical waiting time is short. Over many years and hundreds of entries I have never waited more than a few minutes. If they don't show up after a few minutes, you can always call the same CBP number on your cell phone.

Welcome, and yes.
The typical waiting time is short. Over many years and hundreds of entries I have never waited more than a few minutes. If they don't show up after a few minutes, you can always call the same CBP number on your cell phone.

:thumbsup:

It depends. Most of the time not long. Where are you planning to make your port of entry?

Going into Canada, I was thinking just north of Idaho. Maybe here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offices-bureaux/548-eng.html

Not sure where to come back in yet.. Any ideas?

Back