In the spirit of wrestling - my old notebook[NA]

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
While packing for my move today, I found my old wrestling notebook. I'm done packing for the night, and reading this is bringing back a whole bunch of memories. I thought maybe some of y'all might be interested in some of the stuff I went through. Rather than bore you all with 300+ pages of wrestling how-tos, I figure I'd pick the most interesting stuff and type it. Who knows, someone might find it interesting:

Jan 18, 2002.
Wow, what a day. I finally got to step foot in a ring for the first time, even though it didn't last very long. Mike Hollow, one of my instructors, yelled at me for being in the ring without earning it. For punishment, he made me do 150 push ups. I don't think I've done 150 pushups total in my entire life. By the end, my arms felt like spaghetti. There are 3 other people just starting with me, and even though my arms were useless, we practiced the collar and elbow tie up, which is the most basic wrestling move ever. To do it, you lunge at each other, placing the left hand behind the other person's neck, and the right hand on their elbow (they do the same). I punched Mike in the face about 5 times trying to do it right before he punched me back, really hard. It wasn't fake.

Feb 3, 2002.
After spending the last week learning chain wrestling, Mike and Dukes [Dukes Dalton, one of my other trainers] finally let me step into the ring to practice my back bumps. They hurt, really badly, and my neck is so sore right now. To bump, you have to bend your legs down and act like you stepped on a banana peel. You try to make your hands hit the mat at the same time as your shoulders, and KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. I hit my head so many times my brain feels like jello right now. I literally feel a bit punch drunk. We practiced back bumps for about an hour before we moved on to chain wrestling in the ring including a few bumps as well. My headlocks are starting to feel right and my hammerlock reversal actually looks good according to Mike.

Feb 17, 2002.
I got to do a mini match tonight. Well, sort of, let me explain. After our training sessions, Mike and Dukes set up a few little practice matches for a select few people to perform, while the rest of us sit and cheer and boo at the wrestlers. I got matched with John [John Cena, he was back from Ohio Valley Wrestling for a while before signing with WWE a few weeks later], and he whopped my ass pretty good. I botched a few moves, and nailed my head pretty good on the mat, but I rolled with it. John's an amazing wrestler, and his brother is good too. He is supposed to be working a dark match for the WWF soon. Oh, I lost my first match, so that makes me 0-1 so far (assuming stats matter).

Mar 3, 2002.
I almost killed Mini ["The Mighty Mini", a Chaotic Wrestling star] today. We were practicing small package roll ups, and I kept nailing his head into the mat. It is hard to actually roll and not drop, but Mini was a pretty good sport about it until I had too strong of a grip on his neck and literally drove his head into the mat, straight down. Watching Mike Hollow run into the ring like that sent shivers down my spine and its something I'll probably never forget. Mini didn't move for a good while, but he's ok, just a little dazed. Hurricane John Walters was a trooper though, even seeing Mini get hurt, he was still willing to work with me on it, and I actually got them down right by the end. Maybe the fear of disabling another wrestler is all it takes.

Jun 1, 2002.
I'm Nick Nitro! 100 Octane Blood coursing through my veins, baby! Yeah, its cheesy, but it was a collaborative effort between Hurricane John Walters, Brian Buffet and myself. Even Cena liked the gimmick. He said its a good starter and gives me plenty of material to ad lib from for my gimmicks. Cena just got signed to wrestle with the WWF (ugh, gotta remember to "Get the 'F' out!") soon, and hopefully someday I'll get to join him, but that's a long ways away. He promises to come back and work with us when he's back in town.

Ok - I'm tired of typing, and I don't even know if anyone is actually reading this, so I'm gonna stop for now and hit the sack. If anyone's actually interested in some more (Including the prep work for my first real match and the eventual storylines around the wrestling, and the final decision that wrestling is not for me), I'll type 'em up. If not, this thread will just die a natural death.

Yup, I'm reading it. But it isn't late at night in Hanoi. I'm just killing time before checking out of my hotel and heading for the airport to kill a bunch more time before my 11:30 PM flight to Seoul.

Now, get some sleep young man. It's way past your bedtime. :D

Thanks, Nick. You just gave me the new nickname for my plane...hammerlock reversal. Now I have to figure out what it means.

BTW: I think it shouldn't be just the wrestlers who have cool nicknames like that....

Hey Nick, you were wondering what you should go do after Havasu....

Hey Nick, that's really interesting. I followed wrestling in the late 90s when I was in high school, but not so much afterwards. I have a friend who is into wrestling now though, and I'll probably send him a link to this post, so keep it up! It's always interesting to hear how it all works "behind the scenes".

Hey Nick, you were wondering what you should go do after Havasu....

Heh, I'm no where near the kind of shape I'd need to wrestle again. I'm fatter, older, a heavier smoker, and already dealing with some back and neck issues (neck directly related to wrestling before, back from softball).

So instead, I get to be the 65 year old man that goes "Hey sonny, let me tell you about the 3 years I wrestled professionally!"

Back