In the next 24 months...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I hope to do a lot more flying than I did in the past 24 months. Today, May 1st (the anniversary of my PP checkride in 1998), I got signed off on my Flight Review (I guess it's not technically called a "BFR" anymore).

It's been 25 months (April 2008) since I last flew as PIC, and 30 months since my last BFR. Way too long. Time, finances, kids going to college--all added up to flying getting reluctantly pushed to the back burner.

Earlier this week, I renewed my renter's insurance with an effective date of May 1st, and scheduled my flight review out of NW Regional (52F) with Gilbert Barth at MarcAir Aviation, in their G1000 C172 with the GFC700 autopilot. All week long, thunderstorms were forecast for today, and I was worried the flight would get scrubbed. We've also been dealing with really strong westerly gusty winds all week. Just to show how fickle weather can be, today dawned with 7000' ceilings, light and variable winds, and cooler temps--and all convective activity off to the east. The scare of thunderstorms must have held many pilots at bay, though, as the airport and skies were quiet.

I have to say that Gilbert gave me what was, by far, the most enjoyable and instructive flight review I've experienced to date. We spent 1.2 hours on the ground, and 1.9 hours in the air--more than the minimum, but time well spent. Knowing I'm instrument rated and fly the G1000 a lot, and have done little with VFR in a long time, Gilbert suggested we "get back to basics"... what fun that was!

After the typical oral review of basic part 91 regulations, we pulled out paper and pen, the POH, and he had me do a weight and balance for today's flight (no issue), then we turned to the charts hanging on the wall behind me for airspace review. We did scenario based questions about a possible cross-country flight from 52F to Amarillo, TX, about 260 nm to the west-northwest.

At the end of that exercise, he had me do a quick-and-dirty flight plan for that trip: he wanted some checkpoints, headings corrected for winds aloft and magnetic variation, fuel burned, and fuel remaining.

We then got in the airplane, and after refueling, we departed 52F and started off on that trip much like you would on a PP checkride, climbing westbound out from under the shelves of DFW's class B airspace. Our target altitude for the trip was 6500 (though we never got that high), and I had to watch my altitude under each ring before climbing. He made it fun (really!), by zooming in the GPS so I couldn't use it to see when I was passing each ring of airspace. No DME, so it was "refer to the chart" in my lap, figure out where I was based on what was on the ground, and when it was safe to continue my climb.

He asked for my estimate of when I'd hit my first checkpoint (the north end of Lake Bridgeport), and that's when I realized I'd forgotten to note my departure time as we took the runway--Lesson #1. He showed me how the Aux 2 page of the G1000 has that information. Using the departure time from that page, plus my nav log, I estimated we'd hit that checkpoint at :47 after the hour. And, we did.

He then asked for a diversion to Stephenville, and asked me to use the GPS to accomplish that one, and to take up that course and let him know how far it was, when we'd get there, how much fuel it would take, and what our reserves would be when we got there.

That was easy. So now, headed southbound, he said "Change of plans... we want to go to Oklahoma City instead. Do that one, and provide me with the same information, without using the GPS." This was fun--OKC is on the same sectional, but on the other side of the page. He also had told me on the ground he likes to see the pilot get the plane going in the correct direction early and give the answers to the questions in not more than a minute or two.

I did some quick figuring and estimated a heading of due north to get there, and turned left to 360. Quick counting of quadrangles (30 nm each) gave me a figure of 127 nm to OKC, and I estimated 1:15 minutes (we now had a headwind with the change of direction) and 12.5 gallons of fuel would be used. He cranked the MFD over to the flight plan page, did Direct KOKC, and it said the course would be 001, 1:14 minutes, and 12.3 gallons of fuel, so I passed. It was fun to do it "the hard way".

We then did the normal steep turns, power on and power off stall series, and then an emergency landing (lost the engine at 4500' over Bridgeport KXBP). I ran through my flow, briefed him for the emergency landing, and circled down over a key position abeam the downwind/final turn, and made the runway. Although I'd done really well with checklist usage up to this point, I learned during the post-flight debrief that I'd have gotten my engine back if I'd had used that extra time descending from 4500' to pull out and do the checklist... I'd left the "aux fuel pump ON" off my flow! Lesson #2. During debrief, he said he suggests, when time allows, that the emergency engine failure checklist be ran three times; first as a flow, then again with the checklist to be sure you didn't miss something, then if the engine doesn't start, a third time, this final time as a "secure the engine" checklist, turning things OFF instead of ON. Lesson #3.

We did short and soft field takeoffs and landings, with the short field landings to a designated touchdown spot (accuracy landing), then headed back towards 52F. On the way, we dialed up the Bowie VOR so I could hear HIWAS (I mentioned during the oral that I knew what HIWAS was and how to get it, but had never seen a VOR that had it). He knew that Bowie is the only local VOR with it, so we made a point to listen to it. Lesson #4.

Then, on the way back, he briefed me on all the modes of the GFC700 autopilot, and we tried each of them, including VS and FLC altitude change modes and using CWS (control wheel steering) to set pitch or rate of climb.

Two more landings back at 52F, one full flaps and one sans flaps, and the flight was done.

A good debrief, where he went over the "lessons" above from the notes he'd taken during the flight. He said I'd had good instructors, and for 25 months of rust, flew quite well. I was pleased with my performance too, but more so with Gilbert's instruction techniques, and how he used the BFR to bring me back to basics and help me remember some of the stuff that can be so easily forgotten.

Man, it felt good to be back in the air!

Nice story, good job, and......isn't it great to know you 'still got it'?
Here's hoping you get a couple hundred hours in the next 24 months, Troy!
(dang, nailed the eta to the minute! I need to practice!)

Nice story, good job, and......isn't it great to know you 'still got it'?
Here's hoping you get a couple hundred hours in the next 24 months, Troy!
(dang, nailed the eta to the minute! I need to practice!)

I need more work. I was a minute off on that ETA. ;-)

You can be my co-pilot anytime. In fact, you should probably be the pilot, as I have gotten rusty myself! Dec 4th was my last flight....

You can be my co-pilot anytime. In fact, you should probably be the pilot, as I have gotten rusty myself! Dec 4th was my last flight....

Give me a call, Barry; let's split the costs on an hour or two and go fly!

I just remembered another "lesson" he gave me. While I was trying to reconcile where we were via the sectional (to see if we could continue our climb under the concentric class-B rings), I was looking at this little snippet of chart:

attachment.php

We were westbound, just south of Ponder. You can see the next Class-B ring ahead, with Hwy 287 running NNW-SSE. There's not a lot of good landmarks there to visually identify, and he was challenging me to do it without using DME or GPS. You'll notice that our route was supposed to cross right over two grass fields, Rhome and Heritage Creek. Once past those, we could continue our climb.

I was having trouble locating them on the ground; the instructor pointed out that the map shows a "river" running between them, from the NW to the SE. I looked down, saw no water way. He said "don't look for the river... look for the ribbon of trees that always seem to grow alongside the river."

LESSON #5. Immediately the "creek" or "river" became visible, and drew my eye to the two grass airports to the east of Hwy 287. Once past those, we continued our climb.

Little things... those are the gems good instructors give you!

Attachments

• ScreenShot023.jpg
    ScreenShot023.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 89
Wow Troy, sounds like a great lesson! So much more valuable than "okay, we'll do one hour of ground and one hour of air and then you'll be good to go!" Or even worse, "we'll say you did one hour of ground and one hour of air and you're good to go!":yikes:

Neat!

Another nice feature of all the panel Garmins is the "Flight Timer" feature.

:yesnod:

It's found in the Aux pages. I'm not sure what the default is, but if you set it for >30 knots it will start the count as soon as you start rolling for takeoff.

I was having trouble locating them on the ground; the instructor pointed out that the map shows a "river" running between them, from the NW to the SE. I looked down, saw no water way. He said "don't look for the river... look for the ribbon of trees that always seem to grow alongside the river."

LESSON #5. Immediately the "creek" or "river" became visible, and drew my eye to the two grass airports to the east of Hwy 287. Once past those, we continued our climb.

Little things... those are the gems good instructors give you!
That's a good one TW! One of my favorite fly-in dinner spots is a little airpark in Flushing, 3DA, that can be pretty hard to spot coming from the SE. I've been right on top of it several times before seeing it. But after taking a walk around the perimeter I realized that the Flint River runs just south of the field. Like in your case, you can't see the water from the air... but the trees that line the river are a perfect reference. Knowing the right landmarks to look for can really make all the difference.

It sounds to me like you got a GREAT review. Fantastic CFI to fly with. Good tips throughout.

Liz,

Another good tip (like the river/trees one) that I received some years ago from a CFI...

We were approaching what appeared to me to be a solid overcast; we were slightly above the height of the clouds (1000' for sure. ;) ) As I was VFR at the time, I was very concerned about getting stuck on top. The CFI said "look ahead, UNDER the clouds... what do you see?"

I didn't see what he saw, until he pointed it out... the "blotches of sun" on the landscape ahead gave me a really clear indication not only that the clouds were not a solid overcast, but also the amount of coverage. We continued, over the top, and descended through one of the many large holes that were obviously there.

Back