In preparation for the coming election season...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
As an introduction to the attached image, the Commissioner of Public Lands in the state of Washington is responsible for generating income from public lands to help finance education in the state. It is an important position in our state government.

In 1968 the incumbent, Bert Cole, a Democrat, was "challenged" in the general election by the Republican candidate, Richard A. C. Green. Green had entered the primary as a joke, and by the time the general election rolled around had moved to Hawaii and was no longer a resident of the state of Washington. You would see pictures of him in the paper showing him lying on an air matress, smoking a pipe, with the caption, "Richard A. C. Green, hard on the campaign trail." :D

The state, as do others, publishes a voters pamphlet in which the candidates list their qualifications and platform trying to convince you that you should vote for them.

With that, I give you a page from the 1968 Washington State Voters Pamphlet. And as you read this, remember that Green got about a third of the vote in the general election. :D :D :D

Attachments

• 1968 WA State Voters Pamphlet 001.jpg
    1968 WA State Voters Pamphlet 001.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 29
Now, I think he's contradicting himself. He wants to build a covered bridge to Whidbey but then he says Whidbey should be replaced. I disagree. Leave things as they are. There's great heritage in that old ferry ride.

:goofy:

Besides, that ferry ride was a good place to sober up on the ride home after a night of drinking down in Seattle. :D

Back