In need of a time machine

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
I bought a second-hand Redbird TD2 that was last updated in 2012. It would be nice if I could find a source for historical approach charts of that era for reference. The paper ones I kept for old times sake are too old by about ten years. The manufacturer doesn't recommend updating the TD2 software, I presume because it wouldn't play with the old hardware. Does anybody know where I can access archived charts?

It should hypothetically be possible to update the navaid database. I believe Redbird simply runs a version of Prepare3D. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Redbird to know for sure, or exactly how to do it.
https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

You would also need to update the databases for the simulated GPS navigators, that should be possible as well but the data isn't free.

Well lookie here.... Had no idea I still had this. It is 890 pages so I sure as heck ain't gonna scan it for you. :eek:

14736.jpeg

Maybe the ID information on the back of this can help...

FAA Product ID: BTPPNW1
NSN: 76410115059586
TERMXFAABTPPNW1

Just so happen to have the A/FD to go with it...

14741.jpeg

Are those your asking prices in the corner?

Hahaha... Those were the going rates in 2013. BEFORE they became collectables. :p

I am now away from home for a couple days but on my drive out here and I put myself in your place. Sitting there with a new toy and likely very few IAPs that match the data installed.... That would make me pretty bummed. I am guessing First Quarter 2013 data would probably pretty closely match what you got.

So..... Here's the deal, PM me an address and I will mail them to you. Cannot be much more than five bucks.

It should hypothetically be possible to update the navaid database. I believe Redbird simply runs a version of Prepare3D. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Redbird to know for sure, or exactly how to do it.
https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

You would also need to update the databases for the simulated GPS navigators, that should be possible as well but the data isn't free.

There are lots of ways to update Xplane or P3D, but doesn't that invalidate the LOA of the Redbird?

Talk to the MindStar Avionics folks, they'll help you get the data updated, I'm sure. There are plenty of TD2's out there.

Talk to the MindStar Avionics folks, they'll help you get the data updated, I'm sure. There are plenty of TD2's out there.
Thanks, but an email I sent them one month ago went unanswered, so I called them yesterday. The person answering the phone sent me to a recorded message that was over-modulated and unintelligible. So I called back and was received by a different recording, no human, so I left a message. A while later, I got a call back from someone who connected me to tech support. It was after a long conversation that I realized I wasn't talking to MindStar support, but RealNav. And who the heck are they? RedBird! I gather. Y'know, it shouldn't be a mystery who's answering the phone and who, exactly is calling you back and how they fit in the big picture. I feel like a cat chasing his tail, unable to catch it.

Bottom line, the sim engine has vintage navaid locations and frequencies stored with vintage "scenery data". Updating the GPS data wouldn't update those. They (who? RealNav? MindStar?) offer an expensive GPS update schedule for "professionals" ($500 for 4x/yr). Mindstar's site has a "Home" version for $40. Good luck figuring how to install it on a TD2.

I sent RedBird a suggestion that they ship new TD2s with a set of digital approach charts synched to the sim engine's scenery files. That would prevent the machine from turning into a White Elephant as it ages. Owners would be able to sell the device for more money and be motivated to upgrade to newer devices, imo.
[/rant]

Thanks, but an email I sent them one month ago went unanswered, so I called them yesterday. The person answering the phone sent me to a recorded message that was over-modulated and unintelligible. So I called back and was received by a different recording, no human, so I left a message. A while later, I got a call back from someone who connected me to tech support. It was after a long conversation that I realized I wasn't talking to MindStar support, but RealNav. And who the heck are they? RedBird! I gather. Y'know, it shouldn't be a mystery who's answering the phone and who, exactly is calling you back and how they fit in the big picture. I feel like a cat chasing his tail, unable to catch it.

Bottom line, the sim engine has vintage navaid locations and frequencies stored with vintage "scenery data". Updating the GPS data wouldn't update those. They (who? RealNav? MindStar?) offer an expensive GPS update schedule for "professionals" ($500 for 4x/yr). Mindstar's site has a "Home" version for $40. Good luck figuring how to install it on a TD2.

I sent RedBird a suggestion that they ship new TD2s with a set of digital approach charts synched to the sim engine's scenery files. That would prevent the machine from turning into a White Elephant as it ages. Owners would be able to sell the device for more money and be motivated to upgrade to newer devices, imo.
[/rant]

Apologize for the delayed response. Our customer support team was shorthanded during the height of the COVID crisis. You can update your nav data on a TD2 with the Professional Edition of RealNav Data. RealNav works with the Redbird Avionics which are Mindstar Aviation products. If you need assistance installing it please contact us at: support@MindstarAviation.com. I'll look out for you. Thank you.

Apologize for the delayed response. Our customer support team was shorthanded during the height of the COVID crisis. You can update your nav data on a TD2 with the Professional Edition of RealNav Data. RealNav works with the Redbird Avionics which are Mindstar Aviation products. If you need assistance installing it please contact us at: support@MindstarAviation.com. I'll look out for you. Thank you.
Thanks. I replied to your support address two days ago, no answer.

Back