In Hot Water

Meh, I only need it to last a month. To me, avoiding a month of cold showers is worth $114.

You weren't kidding about low cost, low tech. Looks like it'll do the job you want anyway. I put in a tankless about 3 years ago and am very happy. I had propane to the furnace about 12 feet away, so running the pipe and the vent wasn't much work. Saves elec too.

Enjoy! ;)

Good idea - but do your arithmetic first. A 120 Volt shower head water heater has quite a current draw. For example, do a search on eBay as follows: SHOWER HEAD-INSTANT HOT WATER HEATER-ELECTRIC 120V. One unit I came up with operates at 3500 watts at the low setting and 5500 at high. That translates to a draw of around 29 and 46 Amps respectively. Not many household wiring systems will tolerate that.

What I did in a pinch was to buy an electric water heater element (1200 watts IIRC) at Home Depot, mount it in a metal outlet box on a length of 1 X 2 wood, then put the assembly across a plastic bucket full of water (with the element loop submerged). About ten minutes operation produces agreeably hot water, with which one can take a "splash shower". You could pour the water into a camping shower if you must have a continuous flow. Not fancy but cheap (about $10) and effective. For convenience I added a timer switch I had laying around.

Dave

Now we're talking!

Could you describe the set up in more detail and maybe provide pictures if avail. Feel free to PM if you prefer. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Being avail from Home Depot is a MAJOR plus.

Well if you're going to do that, why not just warm a large pot of water on the stove? I'm assuming you have some sort of cooking facility or hot pot, correct? That's a no cost solution.

Do not buy anything with the Bosch label on it unless you want to be on a first name basis with the repairman.

You mean, like almost every car or truck with electronic fuel injection?

To the OP, playing with electricity is a really bad idea if you don't know what you're doing. It's very much like jumping into a plane you've never heard of with no instruction and no POH.

And I severely doubt exposed wiring in a shower is consistent with code anywhere in the US.

In fact, contemplating this in a public space is SO stupid that it begs a singular question. Are you pflemming?

Last edited:
There is nothing patently unsafe about running wiring for a device designed to operate in a wet or underwater environment to a location outside of the area. It's actually fairly common in Southeast Asia to have POU water heaters installed in a shower and plugged in to an outlet installed somewhere above the shower head. I've never got fried, nor am I aware of it being a problem.

You mean, like almost every car or truck with electronic fuel injection?

To the OP, playing with electricity is a really bad idea if you don't know what you're doing. It's very much like jumping into a plane you've never heard of with no instruction and no POH.

And I severely doubt exposed wiring in a shower is consistent with code anywhere in the US.

In fact, contemplating this in a public space is SO stupid that it begs a singular question. Are you pflemming?

There will be no exposed wiring in a shower area, I assure you. The pictures on the last page with a wooden stick activation are not in my possibility bucket. An electric heat element to heat 5 gallons of water to be poured into a camping shower bag may fit the bill. But in that case there will be no exposed wires, just an exposed heat element.

I have training in electricity. It'll be safe.

There is nothing patently unsafe about running wiring for a device designed to operate in a wet or underwater environment to a location outside of the area. It's actually fairly common in Southeast Asia to have POU water heaters installed in a shower and plugged in to an outlet installed somewhere above the shower head. I've never got fried, nor am I aware of it being a problem.

There sure can be. Connecting an underwater device with wire nuts to anything would no longer be water safe. There is more than the device itself to consider.

And I know both of us have been to SE Asia, so I'm more than a bit shocked to hear that place used as a model for safety. That's a place where platoons of hookers "greet" you at the airport, people haul around yards of bricks on bicycles, the "taxis" are 100cc scooters with one seat and as many as four passengers (usually, only one or two), all traffic direction is routinely ignored, and so on.

all those electric cords would give me the willies

There sure can be. Connecting an underwater device with wire nuts to anything would no longer be water safe. There is more than the device itself to consider.

And I know both of us have been to SE Asia, so I'm more than a bit shocked to hear that place used as a model for safety. That's a place where platoons of hookers "greet" you at the airport, people haul around yards of bricks on bicycles, the "taxis" are 100cc scooters with one seat and as many as four passengers (usually, only one or two), all traffic direction is routinely ignored, and so on.

Yes obviously the connection would have to be terminated properly or if you were to wire nut it, it would have to be done in a safe location.

I would not use the propane water heater unless I had a window or something where the heater can be just outside and vent. One of the biggest challenges with gas fired tankless heaters is venting and combustion air. You DON'T want to fire one of those up in a closed bathroom for those reasons.

Using an electric element hanging down into a bucket of water will work. Obviously you have to remove the element before you move the bucket or use the water, but hey it's really cheap. Plenty of days I want more than a splash shower.

Another option is to just replace the large water heater with a Home Depot 30-40 gal. electric. The pipes are there, power is presumably there, no venting, and the cost is a couple of hundred or less. Just as easy as rigging something a lot of times and a lot better no matter how you look at it. Obviously that size heater won't support a massive amount of user, but it will work for a couple of people.

The majority I have seen here (SE Asia) are properly installed. My home has 3 of them, Panasonic models.

And I know both of us have been to SE Asia, so I'm more than a bit shocked to hear that place used as a model for safety. That's a place where platoons of hookers "greet" you at the airport

What this has to do with hot water in a shower I have no idea :dunno:.

BTW, I travel SE Asia extensively, where are these places?? :dunno:

, people haul around yards of bricks on bicycles, the "taxis" are 100cc scooters with one seat and as many as four passengers (usually, only one or two), all traffic direction is routinely ignored, and so on.

And your point is?? :dunno:

And your point is?? :dunno:
His point is that individual safety is not a major concern in SE Asia. I'd have to agree based on my experience in southern Asia. Bare electric wires in the shower were just one of many examples of lax standards. As always YMWV.

His point is that individual safety is not a major concern in SE Asia. I'd have to agree based on my experience in southern Asia. Bare electric wires in the shower were just one of many examples of lax standards. As always YMWV.

Funny thing is here you never hear of accidents happening with the electric shower warmers. In the US I could understand it as every PI attorney within a 100 miles would sweep into a home if the first shock ever happened.

Car wrecks? Every now and then, usually fender benders. Motorcycle wrecks? Yea, every once and a while some numbnuts pulls out in front of a car and gets whacked.

The US takes personal safety to an extreme and has the warped legal profe$$ion to swoop in for "justice". Here people are responsible for their own actions. What a concept huh? :rolleyes:

Now we're talking!

Could you describe the set up in more detail and maybe provide pictures if avail. Feel free to PM if you prefer. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Being avail from Home Depot is a MAJOR plus.

Here ya go... Everything except the heating element came from my junkbox. The wooden spreader bar is missing because I used it for something else. The metal outlet box is screwed to the middle of the bar, and the heater assembly is placed across the bucket with the element protruding down into the water (adjust the level of the latter carefully to submerge the loop). When all is ready, plug it in and set the timer.

Like you, this was for a short period when I had no hot water. It has since been consigned once again to my junkbox (never got around to disassembling it).

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 21
Here people are responsible for their own actions. What a concept huh? :rolleyes:

Sure, maybe we should go ask the folks who were smashed in the building collapse in Bangladesh?

Go to the ship salvage operation south of Bhavnagar and get back to me on safety. I know exactly what I'm talking about when I say that standards are lax compared to the US and it has nothing to do with personal responsibility.

Sure, maybe we should go ask the folks who were smashed in the building collapse in Bangladesh?

Go to the ship salvage operation south of Bhavnagar and get back to me on safety. I know exactly what I'm talking about when I say that standards are lax compared to the US and it has nothing to do with personal responsibility.

I thought we were talking about hot water showers??? :dunno:

I thought we were talking about hot water showers??? :dunno:

Nice try at deflection. Personal safety standards were brought in and I have seen some very good examples of lax standards in Asia. The Bhavnagar hotel I lived in had exposed wiring (220v) on the shower heaters. I was always very careful when showering. Anyway you look at it, Asia presents examples not to follow when it comes to personal safety either in the shower or out of it.

Nice try at deflection.

Not a "deflection", just trying to stay on topic. I notice you do have a problem in that area. :rolleyes:

Personal safety standards were brought in and I have seen some very good examples of lax standards in Asia. The Bhavnagar hotel I lived in had exposed wiring (220v) on the shower heaters. I was always very careful when showering. Anyway you look at it, Asia presents examples not to follow when it comes to personal safety either in the shower or out of it.

Again, I live in SE Asia and no one ever hears of accidents with these and I have used them in several areas as this is the norm. If they bother you, then simply don't use them.

Novel concept huh? :rolleyes:

Not a "deflection", just trying to stay on topic. I notice you do have a problem in that area. :rolleyes:

Yup, the best thing to do when someone shows that you are wrong is to accuse them of something. That is "deflection" and you practice it well.

All I can say is good luck.

Yup, the best thing to do when someone shows that you are wrong is to accuse them of something. That is "deflection" and you practice it well.

All I can say is good luck.

What was I wrong about??? :dunno:

What did I "accuse" you of other than your inability to stay on topic?? :dunno:

The thread is about hot water and water heaters. You go into an inane rant about building collapses and shipyard safety. :rolleyes2:

What was I wrong about??? :dunno:

What did I "accuse" you of other than your inability to stay on topic?? :dunno:

The thread is about hot water and water heaters. You go into an inane rant about building collapses and shipyard safety. :rolleyes2:

Son, the question brought up was safety standards. You claimed that personal responsibility outweighed safety standards and I pointed out that claim was wrong and used examples. You obviously have a problem keeping up. Sorry about that. Good luck in your future pursuits and have a good evening.

Son, the question brought up was safety standards. You claimed that personal responsibility outweighed safety standards and I pointed out that claim was wrong and used examples.

:dunno:

You obviously have a problem keeping up. Sorry about that. Good luck in your future pursuits and have a good evening.

:rolleyes2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Son, the question brought up was safety standards. You claimed that personal responsibility outweighed safety standards and I pointed out that claim was wrong and used examples. You obviously have a problem keeping up. Sorry about that. Good luck in your future pursuits and have a good evening.

Son??? You do know using obvious degrading speech just makes you look dumb, right? If'n you're gonna get all disrespectful how's about you try to stick to a with facts?

I started this thread and I'm pretty darn sure the question brought up was how to heat water cheaply for a short duration.

Sheesh. You're fourth and long here. I suggest you punt.

Last edited:
In Mexico they put big black plastic barrels on the roof. They stay warm for quite a while after the sun goes down. Kind of luke warm in the morning. Don't know where you live, but I've always thought that was a good idea.

Another no-cost solution is to leave a long garden hose (full of water, of course) lying in the sun for awhile. Then pull the nozzle end to where you shower and have at it (use the water judiciously). I did that at a remote camp site one time where a hose and running water (but nothing else) were available. It worked great. Of course it only works in warm weather when the sun is shining.

Dave

Son??? You do know using obvious degrading speech just makes you look dumb, right? If'n you're gonna get all disrespectful how's about you try to stick to a with facts?

Name something that wasn't a fact. The boy is wrong and can't deal with it.

Well, Captain has received many excellent solutions. I'm sure he will figure out what works best for his mission and he will move forward. Probably without electrocuting himself in the process.

I look forward to hearing how he solves the problem. He's a smart guy. He'll figure it out.

Just keep shuffling around in the dark....

giveadamn.gif

Well, Captain has received many excellent solutions. I'm sure he will figure out what works best for his mission and he will move forward. Probably without electrocuting himself in the process.

I look forward to hearing how he solves the problem. He's a smart guy. He'll figure it out.

Let's just hope a building doesn't collapse or their is a lack of safety in a shipyard.......

Clark, please show what I was "wrong" about. We are discussing hot water and heaters.

And by the way, I'm hardly a "boy". :rofl:

You are wrong about safety standards in Asia. I've already given examples which included mentioning bare wires in Bhavnagar hotel. Bhavnagar is in India for those who don't know and can't be bothered to check. I also gave examples which indicated a broad personal safety standard which is much less than most western countries. Buildings rarely collapse in Europe and the US but seem to be much more common in Asia and Africa. Whatever else you might claim, standards such as building code and electrical code we use in the west are not used in Asia. I haven't even gone into PPE or cultural expectations in the workplace.

You may think you aren't a "boy" but when you deflect and deny without basis then you fall into that category with me. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

Let's just hope a building doesn't collapse or their is a lack of safety in a shipyard.......

Oh come on, it's not like you wouldn't simplify the Philippine airman rating and medical process if you could, right?

You are wrong about safety standards in Asia. I've already given examples which included mentioning bare wires in Bhavnagar hotel. Bhavnagar is in India for those who don't know and can't be bothered to check. I also gave examples which indicated a broad personal safety standard which is much less than most western countries. Buildings rarely collapse in Europe and the US but seem to be much more common in Asia and Africa. Whatever else you might claim, standards such as building code and electrical code we use in the west are not used in Asia. I haven't even gone into PPE or cultural expectations in the workplace.

?????:dunno:

We're discussing hot water heaters. Yes, Asia is not consumed with over regulation zealotry that is predominate in the west and personal responsibility is the norm over here.

But we're discussing hot water heaters. Is it really that hard for you to grasp?? :dunno:

You may think you aren't a "boy" but when you deflect and deny without basis then you fall into that category with me. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

I could give a flying **** less of what "category' I am with you.

In my book you're a bunch of hot air with a keyboard. :loco:

Put me into the "use the stove" group, failing a kitchen a hot plate. Heat your water and your dinner!

No kitchen, no stove, no hot plate.

I'm still curious about the application after reading the whole thread. Crew crash pad? LOL.

Mmm. The FO smells like rotisserie chicken! :)

Back