In hospital this am

B

Bad day

The right side of my body went numb yesterday right after I getting light headed and dizzy for a few seconds. The numbness lasted for about fifteen minutes. CT Scan, EKG, chest X-ray all were fine. Getting MRI and ultra sound this am. My blood pressure was elevated, highest was 160/100. I am assuming I'm grounded awhile but what should I expect. I will probably leave this hospital on blood pressure meds. I never even thought my health would ever be an issue, so I know nothing of process from here.

Sounds like you may need to wear a recording device to check for intermittent atrial fibrillation, which may have triggered a transient ischemic attack. These are often a warning that the BIG ONE could be right around the corner. That means you could be undergrounded.

I'm not sure I buy your diagnosis. AF rarely expresses itself in a TIA, though either a TIA or a minor cardiac event may have caused these symptoms (I suspect since they're not cathing you right now that the cardiac enzymes were normal). Get well first, then worry about the medical. Blood pressure and cholesterol meds are snoozers as far as the medical goes. The syncope event is going to need to have a known cause.

The right side of my body went numb yesterday right after I getting light headed and dizzy for a few seconds. The numbness lasted for about fifteen minutes. CT Scan, EKG, chest X-ray all were fine. Getting MRI and ultra sound this am. My blood pressure was elevated, highest was 160/100. I am assuming I'm grounded awhile but what should I expect.

You should expect a diagnoses before knowing how long before it's safe to return to flying.

You should expect to work with an AME that knows the system before it's legal to return to flying. He will be able to tell you the steps necessary once you have a diagnoses.

You should expect that dozens here will have opinions that aren't useful because we don't have access to your charts.

Sorry this happened to you and good luck!!!

Thanks
1) get proper diagnosis
2) treatment
3) see AME about getting cleared to fly again

So, my flight plan to Texas next week is out

I didn't make a diagnosis, but, yes, I agree with your comments on the epidemiology.

I'm not sure I buy your diagnosis. AF rarely expresses itself in a TIA, though either a TIA or a minor cardiac event may have caused these symptoms (I suspect since they're not cathing you right now that the cardiac enzymes were normal). Get well first, then worry about the medical. Blood pressure and cholesterol meds are snoozers as far as the medical goes. The syncope event is going to need to have a known cause.

Last edited:
yup ... grounded! Follow your doctor's instructions and treatment. When stable and released to fly by your treating docs ... back to your AME!

Forget about the AME and get as thorough evaluation as possible, until you get a confirmed diagnosis and proper treatment and follow up, flying is on the back burner. If you don't get a confirmed diagnosis, the AME is not going to be much help. Just happy u weren't in the air with family when this occurred.

upload_2016-12-14_18-18-25.jpeg

First and foremost, I hope that nothing serious is found and that you are feeling better.

But it is good to ground yourself until this is professionally diagnosed and treated. Health first.

Once you have your diagnosis, you may want to follow up with Dr. Bruce to see what his thoughts are to help preserve your ability to fly.

Best of luck!

The question is Migraine vs TIA. Get the diagnosis right. The FAA is the least of your problems for now. And these two certify very very differently.

See if they will send a neurologist by, for his take on it.

two ct scans, EKG, MRI-MRA, neck sonogram blood work and numerous interviews/physical exams, everything looks normal. They are sending me to a neurologist and getting a heart sonogram next. For now, they can't see anything wrong.

Good news so far, but you need a diagnosis, everything normal is not good enough with those symptoms.

See (e)1(b)3 in the Pilot's Bill of Rights. You need an explanation for loss of control. 12/14/16 at 9:35 PM (currently post #12). And you need it for either certification route (3rd class, or PBOR-2).

So what did the neurologist say?

I have not seen neurologist yet. I get test results back on heart sonogram next week ( rural MS) and see my GP for a recommended NUERO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back