In-Flight Wx hardware Pro/Cons

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I'm looking for a comparison of different solutions for in-flight weather for EFB use.

I'd like to propose a solution to my flying club and in order to get buy-in the solution should show the merits and de-merits of each solution and allow people to vote for their choice.

Has anyone (magazine perhaps) already prepared something like this showing examples like:

Works with Forflight
Works with WingX
Works on Android, iOS, Windows
No (or Low) subscription costs
Hardware costs
Installation complexity

I'd rather not re-invent the sun

If you want something that will work with both Apple and Android, I don't think you currently have too many choices. However the Dual XGPS170 should do both, and I think it's supposed to start shipping next week. The Naviator developer seems to give Dual a thumbs up. http://forum.naviatorapp.com/viewtopic.php?pid=2017

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Dual XGPS170 looks like a good option, offering TIS-B (traffic) and FIS-B (NEXRAD) via Bluetooth.

I wonder if Foreflight is married to the Stratus with a 'strategic partnership' for ADS-B?

I've read that for foreflight it's stratus only. I would suggest that you poll the club before you go further and see how many have android tablets vs ipads. I have a Android transformer tablet and love it but if the vast majority of your club is ipad bound then your best bet would be foreflight/stratus. The people I know who have that combo seem to really like it.

I'm looking for a comparison of different solutions for in-flight weather for EFB use.

I'd like to propose a solution to my flying club and in order to get buy-in the solution should show the merits and de-merits of each solution and allow people to vote for their choice.

Has anyone (magazine perhaps) already prepared something like this showing examples like:

Works with Forflight
Works with WingX
Works on Android, iOS, Windows
No (or Low) subscription costs
Hardware costs
Installation complexity

I'd rather not re-invent the sun
Any ADS-B unit will satisfy the last three items. All are turn on and play with buetooth connectivity and after the hardware cost, it going to be free weather.

Your problem is the first three. Unlike GPS which (once you get past Apple's hardware restrictions) is pretty universal and works with all location-based apps on both iPads and Androids, ADS-B units seem to be more app-specific.

So, at least for now, the Garmin app (which is available for both iOS and Android) works only with Garmin's GDL39; ForeFlight works only with Stratus. WingX's web site talks about working with a larger number of them (although maybe not the GDL and Stratus) and the smaller Android developers may have more options because of the more open nature of Android development.

But as a solution for a flying club that may be using multiple platforms? I think for that, you'll most likely want to poll the membership on what platforms and apps they want to use and make the group hardware purchase (or maybe even purchases based on that.

Back