In dire need of a aviation related job

TravisR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Travis
Hello, my name is Travis, I am a low time pilot and i have 291 hours and my ifr is currently past that 6 month period. I am looking for a low time pilot job or any job that can point in the right direction of getting a job, I live in Southern Orange county and for the most part all I see is instructing this time of year but I don't have my Instructors Cert. I was hoping that someone could help me by getting a referral to a company out here, or anywhere. I don't have to do flying at first but eventually I will need to segway into that. I'm not just limited to California though I am willing to relocate. Also if you just want a safety pilot or a buddy to fly with I will be glad to fly with you. I am also looking for some contacts to help me in my journey in becoming a successful pilot. So please any help would be appreciated thank you very much.

Last edited:
Have you looked into banner towing, sky diving ops, or aerial photography? I would also suggest getting a job at an FBO doing CS or working the line. You can also work at a flight school doing CS or wash planes.

I will second what Jordan says about the FBO. I did my time on the line and it led directly to a Caravan captain position at a 135 op.

I've no desire for a career in flying, at least not right now, and I'm just a PPL. But.. From what I understand, isn't being a CFI the first step in this?

I will second what Jordan says about the FBO. I did my time on the line and it led directly to a Caravan captain position at a 135 op.

Did you get your CFI before getting this job?

yes I've applied to all of the banner towing and aerial photography ads but no one got back to me. I'm appling for 2015 but still no luck I need contacts and resources

no can do on the cfi until I save up enough money for the training. So it would be strategically best if I wiggled my way into the fbo and met some awesome contacts that could help me with getting a pilot job.

Start looking for line service/FBO jobs.

yes I've applied to all of the banner towing and aerial photography ads but no one got back to me.

If that is all you have done you haven't done enough. You have to make yourself stand out somehow. Visit the address to which you applied and charm the socks off of the receptionist. Flowers may help! Do anything and everything you can think of to get a one-on-one meeting with the hiring manager (and at this point flowers may not help! LOL) but ask him if he needs the planes washed, is there anything you can do to help him?, do the pilots need a grunt to carry the bags etc.etc. Be shameless but polite!

I'm appling for 2015 but still no luck I need contacts and resources

Same response. Give me a reason why everyone reading your post should go out of their way to help an unknown user (2 posts) with references, contacts, etc.

We are a helpful bunch, but we tend to help each other. Sit down, relax here, tell us about yourself, and have a good time. Contribute when/where you can. Don't get into internet **it fights, and show us you are worthy of our trust. If you can do that, good things may happen. It is not an easy task ahead of you, don't get discouraged.

-Skip

Last edited:
Go to work for a FBO,with a charter company. Work the line,you will probably get into the second seat from time to time. It's not easy getting in with low time.

it sounds to me like what you really need is money. That suggests you look for a NON-aviation job.

yes I've applied to all of the banner towing and aerial photography ads but no one got back to me. I'm appling for 2015 but still no luck I need contacts and resources
Follow up. Hang out at the airport. Show your face and be friendly to everyone.

it sounds to me like what you really need is money. That suggests you look for a NON-aviation job.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: My first job after finishing flight school was backhoe/bulldozier work, mostly installing new septic systems.

I've no desire for a career in flying, at least not right now, and I'm just a PPL. But.. From what I understand, isn't being a CFI the first step in this?

Did you get your CFI before getting this job?

I think earning your CPL is the first step.

One idea, you could earn your ground instructor tickets and work as a ground instructor, not many companies looking for a ground instructors but its a thought.

Workin the line will have you around aviation, but its not really a flght type job.

Become an air traffic controller. BEST job in aviation if you ask me. Be a pilot on your personal time, do the math, think about things like retirement.

Yeah I know its not really a flight job but i do get to meet some cool contacts maybe get some referrals to companies like banner towing i understand most of everyone starts flying as a CFI, which is what I to do when I save up enough money however I could "get lucky" and find someone who has some contacts with a banner tow/skydiver pilot that knows the company owner or manager and will be able to help me out, even if they just take me on a ride along it helps. Also I don't really know what to do like airport bums seem okay because its not like we are begging for rides just being friendly but I wouldn't know how to start, like I don't think talking to the front desk would help or just sitting there and I don't think I'm allowed to browse the planes near the hangers so I really wouldn't know where to go.

Most banner tow, glider tow are going to want tailwheel and High performance endorsements. Got those?

I think you'll need a commercial rating for banner tow, but not for glider tow.
Have you checked the commercial glider tow operators in the area? You must be willing to move and having an A&P on the side is a plus.

I just saw a posting on another forum looking for a part time glider CFI in Pheonix.

What about CAP? I know some of them are volunteer, but full-timers get paid, right?

Full timeers are at HQ and I doubt many of them fly. Those are the desk jobs.

Line sevice, fueling, Wendy's , etc. Get money, save money. CFI is not always necessary.

Again assuming you have your CPL, skydiving operations are an option also.
Might try some aerial applicators jobs, you won't be flying but will be involved with aviation and might make some useful contacts.

Might also talk to FBO's about trading line work, etc for training for your CFI.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I have cpl complex high performance and tailwheel and no aireal photo and banner towing werent the only things i looked into, I looked into every possibility even volunteer flights but I couldnt really find too much.

Find folks doing volunteer dog rescue flights. I often bring pilots along as helpers; during the leg with the dogs, the helper keeps an eye on them while I fly. On the return leg, I'll Let them fly. It helps that I'm a CFI too. I can usually log an approach or two and use them as the safety pilot.

most of the time I've seen volunteers ads where it says you have to pay for half of the flight which if I had the money I would partake however I'm stripped on cash and cant do that anymore. XD

Again assuming you have your CPL, skydiving operations are an option also.

DZ (skydive) jobs typicall want 500tt

Banner and glider tow places usually want some amout of tailwheel time over over just the endorsement training.

Might try some aerial applicators jobs, you won't be flying but will be involved with aviation and might make some useful contacts.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

No kidding he won't be flying. Unless he has a gang of tailwheel time, AG training (light bar, spray, etc) he ain't getting a job in AG even with contacts, insurance won't touch him.

no can do on the cfi until I save up enough money for the training. So it would be strategically best if I wiggled my way into the fbo and met some awesome contacts that could help me with getting a pilot job.

There are flight schools that, with a contract, will "pay" for your CFI.

It may be worth looking into Envoy Air (formerly American Eagle) Pipeline program.

DZ (skydive) jobs typicall want 500tt

I am going to interview with a place in a few days for a DZ. I am excited about the prospect.

ETA: I forgot to add that they wanted 500TT and also want me to work part time as a CFI.

It would also benifit you to get yourself known. POA is a good start but don't be afraid to stick your head in EAA meetings.

Skydiving jobs are pretty easy and will get you in aviation but keep in mind the size of the operation will show how much you'll be flying and, as far as a career, it's really only good for building total time. It won't keep you IFR current nor will you get experience going anywhere. I work on occasion at a small one and there are two types of pilots: time builders and pilots who do it for fun. Most of the part 135 pilots at my job were picked up by word of mouth or as line guys with the required pilot qualifications. Being a line guy and showing you're a hard worker and trustworthy is not a bad way to go. Plus it will get you in aviation even if you are looking at other places. Many line guys are hired off the street but preferred having aviation knowledge which you do. To be honest though, the tips you're getting so far may be as much as you'll get from a forum until the "locals" know you better. Gotta play the game! Good luck!

Remember, every contact is an interview. Every POST on this board is an interview. People judge you by what you say, how you say it, how you look and how you carry yourself.

I'm not saying I'm the end-all be-all when it comes to grammar, but you've got to help yourself out and throw some punctuation in here! I read this post of yours and it screams lack of attention to detail, desperation, and maturity questions come to mind.

A potential employer is asking him/herself: "Do I want this person representing me? Do I trust them with my equipment and reputation?" You're talking to people here who might give you a shot at a job, or are sticking their neck out to throw you a bone. This isn't a text to your drinking buddies, present yourself professionally and you'll be considered as such.

Best of luck in the job search. You've got the right attitude, polish up the edges and put your best foot forward! It's tough but doable!

Yeah I know its not really a flight job but i do get to meet some cool contacts maybe get some referrals to companies like banner towing i understand most of everyone starts flying as a CFI, which is what I to do when I save up enough money however I could "get lucky" and find someone who has some contacts with a banner tow/skydiver pilot that knows the company owner or manager and will be able to help me out, even if they just take me on a ride along it helps. Also I don't really know what to do like airport bums seem okay because its not like we are begging for rides just being friendly but I wouldn't know how to start, like I don't think talking to the front desk would help or just sitting there and I don't think I'm allowed to browse the planes near the hangers so I really wouldn't know where to go.

I'll 2nd the FBO line guy work. Did it for years wile I was coming up through the ranks. You will learn more than you could ever imagine/ meet a lot of like minded people. Also get to fuel all the corporate flight dept on the field.

That's how it worked for me

It's not about the time in your book for a flight dept. It's about the person.

Good luck buddy. Seems like you have the right attitude

Remember, every contact is an interview. Every POST on this board is an interview. People judge you by what you say, how you say it, how you look and how you carry yourself.

I'm not saying I'm the end-all be-all when it comes to grammar, but you've got to help yourself out and throw some punctuation in here! I read this post of yours and it screams lack of attention to detail, desperation, and maturity questions come to mind.

A potential employer is asking him/herself: "Do I want this person representing me? Do I trust them with my equipment and reputation?" You're talking to people here who might give you a shot at a job, or are sticking their neck out to throw you a bone. This isn't a text to your drinking buddies, present yourself professionally and you'll be considered as such.

Best of luck in the job search. You've got the right attitude, polish up the edges and put your best foot forward! It's tough but doable!

This x 1000! Your writing skills are, frankly, terrible. That doesn't present you in a good light to anyone reading this thread that might want to hire you, or recommend you to someone who might.

I said it earlier, just get a job with line service... you'll be around planes and pilots, get paid, and make contacts and just generally learn about the industry. It is a fun job that can lead to other opportunities in aviation.

This x 1000! Your writing skills are, frankly, terrible. That doesn't present you in a good light to anyone reading this thread that might want to hire you, or recommend you to someone who might.

I said it earlier, just get a job with line service... you'll be around planes and pilots, get paid, and make contacts and just generally learn about the industry. It is a fun job that can lead to other opportunities in aviation.
I got the feeling that perhaps English is his second language.
Or that he is a reincarnation of a previous poster. Perhaps he could get job hauling Propane canisters to OSH. Or perhaps I'm all wet, in which case I apologize in advance.

I got the feeling that perhaps English is his second language.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that isn't the case. That's a bit like congratulating someone on being pregnant only to learn that they're not. :)

Some great advice here. I sincerely wish the OP luck, though.

Travis, you might try the international schools (such as Sierra Flight Academy in Atwater, CA). I believe they have programs where they will cover the cost of your CFII in return for your service as an instructor for 2 years, something along those lines.

+1 on the writing style, btw. I wear many hats at my company, one of them involves a lot of tech support. Dealing with a wide range of people and writing abilities/styles, I can vouch for the fact that potential employers are going to make snap judgments based on how you present yourself in writing.

I suspect he is just another young person that communicates mostly in shorthand text messages with no discernible sentence structure punctuation or capitalization and it makes it really hard to read and understand but at least he hasn't used u 2 4 etc for abbreviations yet because that really makes a terrible impression.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Start bartending and save your dollars. I know a major airline captain that got there without a single penny of debt or special contacts. He busted his ass bartending and working multiple jobs and paid his way.

I mean seriously, you're not far from having your CFI. Getting your CFI is not an expensive thing. Work a non-aviation related job for a month or two and you'll have the money. Get your CFI and bust your ass instructing. You'll meet plenty of contacts by doing so.

Last edited:
Get your commercial, find some older pilots who can't get medicals and have them pay you to be "PIC" - there should be a lot of retirees near you in SoCal

Did you try Northern States Aviation, Air America, Desert Winds, Landcare Aviation, Air Associates, or Aperture Aviation? Usually the aerial photo season starts around October and goes through May. Most of those places are contractors for a company called Pictometry. And sorry to say, but most of them are gonna want about 500 hours minimum. Most people get to that 500 mark by doing the CFI. Honestly what Jesse said, working as a bartender sounds like a good way to do it. From my friends that do it, they say they make decent money, and you learn a cool skill. You wont need much money for the CFI cause it is mostly ground work. See if your previous instructors will hook you up. I have a good friend that is basically the pilot coordinator for Air Associates and have high school and college friends that flew for Air America. I will ask around and relay some information to you. But realize...I don't know you...at all. I, and probably everyone else on here, isn't gonna stick their neck out for you and throw in a "good word" for you.

The OP has his commercial already.

Just re-read - it's hidden in his 4th or 5th post - my advice still stands, be "on-call" get paid a retainer and build hours in probably something you wouldn't ordinarily get to fly

Back