Importing a complete airplane project, former US registration

t30mg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
t30mg
I understand that there can be complications importing from Canada.
I also have read somewhere that is a lot easier with an airplane that previously had an N-number.

I found a complete project, was in annual and flying 6 years ago when the owner got sick and been sitting since. It still has the log books from US but has been registered and maintained in Canada for many years.

Is there a broker or someone that offers a service of helping import airplanes that I could contract to help make sure everything is done correctly?

Assuming this is a tc'd plane... Has it ever been in the owner maintained category while in the great white north?

@Nick Geber just brought his plane back stateside.

I believe anything owner maintained in Canada cannot be imported. E-AB might be an exception.

What do you mean by project?

I understand that there can be complications importing from Canada.
Not enough aircraft info to give you any specific answers. But importing an unairworthy aircraft (depending on type) will have additional issues to deal with.
I also have read somewhere that is a lot easier with an airplane that previously had an N-number.
FYI: The key points are country of mfg and country 1st certified in. Having a previous N-reg assists in points.
Is there a broker or someone that offers a service of helping import airplanes that I could contract to help make sure everything is done correctly?
Yes. Perhaps post on an aircraft type forum for shops/DARs that handle importations in the area you require. Then call them for specific input on this aircraft. Regardless, as mentioned above you may want to 1st determine if the aircraft was under the TCCA Owner Maintained category. If so no possibility of import.

Last edited:
Aircraft is a Bellanca Citabria, built in the factory, certified, and flown in the US for 5 years before going to Canada.

Its only unairworthy because it hasn't had an annual inspection for several years and it's close enough to me I would rather take it down, trailer it home, and go through it myself than pay an AME in CA to do an annual.

It was always maintained by an AME, Canadian equivalent of an A&P.

Aircraft is a Bellanca Citabria, built in the factory, certified, and flown in the US for 5 years before going to Canada.

Its only unairworthy because it hasn't had an annual inspection for several years and it's close enough to me I would rather take it down, trailer it home, and go through it myself than pay an AME in CA to do an annual.

It was always maintained by an AME, Canadian equivalent of an A&P.
I’m happy to share what Inknow about importing US built planes from Canada. I went through this is December and it’s not as daunting and it may seem. Feel free to pm me and we can swap numbers if you would like some advice.

On the FAA side of things, I would select your DAR/shop first before starting any of the process. While you can start and finish the dereg/rereg process you won't be able to finish the AWC issue process until the aircraft is airworthy. And based on my experiences, if you wait till after you picked up the aircraft and finished your personal review to engage a DAR, there could be unforeseen issues with the AWC issuance. Good luck.

Back