IMC Clubs - Worth it?

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So, got my IR but I'm still low-time (about 75 hours PIC).

I've not had really good luck with aviation social groups thus far but I understand that groups and organizations differ from location to location. Are there any IR pilots on PoA who participate in an IMC Club? Does it serve a function or is it just another aviation circle jerk in the hangar?

I have never had a problem finding safety pilots. In fact, they often find me. There are four of them (instrument rated, one a CFII) that I see every Tuesday. Plus another several VFR private pilots (some make good safety pilots, some don't).

I suppose if it's a problem, an "IMC club" might be a solution. But pretty much any flight school should have at least a few instrument pilots around. CAP/EAA/whatever can serve as well. Anyplace there are instrument pilots who fly.

I have never had a problem finding safety pilots. In fact, they often find me. There are four of them (instrument rated, one a CFII) that I see every Tuesday. Plus another several VFR private pilots (some make good safety pilots, some don't).

I suppose if it's a problem, an "IMC club" might be a solution. But pretty much any flight school should have at least a few instrument pilots around. CAP/EAA/whatever can serve as well. Anyplace there are instrument pilots who fly.

So I guess that's my question. Are the IMC Clubs just there as a pool of safety pilots or is there more to it than that? I'm in the same boat, I see the CAP pilots in my squadron at least twice a month.

An IMC Club is a real club, not just a nickname for a few friends on Fecesbook.
Attending the IMC Club meetings is a hit-n-miss, it really depends on the location and the members.
For example: our local IMC Club has a meeting every month on a set day at a set time at a set location. There is always a safety presentation and/or IFR quiz etc.
This, of course, will vary from location to location.

I suggest you find your local chapter and pay them a visit or two and see if you are compatible with their format.

An IMC Club is a real club, not just a nickname for a few friends on Fecesbook.
Attending the IMC Club meetings is a hit-n-miss, it really depends on the location and the members.
For example: our local IMC Club has a meeting every month on a set day at a set time at a set location. There is always a safety presentation and/or IFR quiz etc.
This, of course, will vary from location to location.

I suggest you find your local chapter and pay them a visit or two and see if you are compatible with their format.
This.

Like most discussion groups the IMC Clubs (now under the EAA umbrella) are only as good as their members. The better ones tend to choose good discussion topics and have enough of a mix of new and experienced pilots for there to be some real learning taking place. OTOH, it can, of course, be just another hangar flying stage for nonsense.

The IMC / VMC clubs at EAA are pretty lame. Lots of better things are available by listening to the "old salts" here. We've got some real serious IFR pilots, controllers, and even instrument procedure designers here. Frankly, I'll take an IFR (not IFR Refresher) magazine and any of Wally's posts rather than the drivel the EAA puts out (which borders between the trivial to the dangerously incorrect).

Wally has written articles for IFR Refresher. (I don't know whether he is still doing so.)

Wally has written articles for IFR Refresher. (I don't know whether he is still doing so.)
That's good. I dropped my subscription under their former editor because the articles were either completely inane dangerously wrong.

Back