IMC at home is ALMOST as nice as VFR in the Southern Bahamas!!

beestforwardspeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CoopAir
A few weeks ago I finally got the chance to launch into some worthwhile IMC, and while not perfect, it was the best I've flown in for a while. 500 ovc with tops around 4000----give or take.

In this video, I filmed from 3 cameras simultaneously, and overlayed each.

After mounting 3 Gopro's I taxi and launch on runway 2 at Roberts (4b8). Get my usual void time clearance from Bradly Approach and am instructed to enter controlled airspace on 270 hdg.

I enter the clag just a bit above approach minimums but it's not until about 300 ft higher that I'm 100% in solid IMC.

I ask for vectors for the RVAV 2 into 4B8 and am given a 180 hdg and told to maintain 3000. Leveling off at this Altitude I'm still in the milk bottle so I ask for 5000 to hopefully skim the tops and get some good video cloud surfing. The skew t had shown that the tops were likely at this Altitude.

ATC grants my request for 5000, and when passing 3500, it clearly gets brighter and at 3800, I'm above it all, other than a much higher broken cirrus. At this point I don my sunglasses whih I knew I'd probably need.

Passing 4300 for 5000, I realized that I forgot to plug in the audio cable to my cameras. ****kkkkkkkkk

I quickly reach for the cords, making sure not to get too distracted. A min later they are all up and running.

I ask for a hold at DRESS as published and do a few turns on top and the start the approach. Coming up on the FAF I'm shipped to the CTAF and tell him that I'll be going missed for another one.

I break out at about 60' above the MDA, do a T&G, and then fly the pub missed. Checking in with approach, I ask for another RVAV 2 and get above the wx again at 5000.

The 2nd approach is uneventful and I break out again at 500 AGL and make an uneventful full stop landing, clear the runway and the cancel IFR on the BDL app RCO.

ALMOST as much fun as VFR in the Bahamas Out Islands:--))
user_online.gif
progress.gif

LOL. As a CFI I specialize in instrument training, and while I agree It's fun to shoot approaches in real clouds, given the choice I'll taking flying in the Bahamas 99 times out of hundred.*

*that one in hundred includes class 3+ hurricanes!

Nice. Looked like a good day to go wash the airplane. ;)

Only critique I'd have is that I'd like to hear you brief the approach completely out loud before you start down it. I also fall into that trap of looking again at the plate (might as well confirm) for altitudes at times, but I'd rather hear them out loud to myself before the FAF. I think it will help you if you add that habit also.

Nice. Looked like a good day to go wash the airplane. ;)

Only critique I'd have is that I'd like to hear you brief the approach completely out loud before you start down it. I also fall into that trap of looking again at the plate (might as well confirm) for altitudes at times, but I'd rather hear them out loud to myself before the FAF. I think it will help you if you add that habit also.

Good suggestion, thanks

Why not get a mount for the tablet? Stick it on the yoke or something?

I have a nexus tablet that I'm trying to find a good spot to mount as well.

Back