iMac Pro - $5k - WTF

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
So out of curiosity I went on the Apple site and I see they have an iMac Pro now. Click on the "Buy Now" icon and I figure the price would be like $3k. $5k. 5 effing k. Are you kidding me? Oh and that's the base configuration. Seems insane to me.

My top of the line gaming PC I built was like 2.5k and that was for the best of the best.

I like Apple, but it seems like their prices are getting so out of hand now a days. But they must be selling their stuff like hot cakes cause it keeps a'risin!

It's meant to be the new mac pro.... a higher end machine targeted towards power users, video editing, etc where they need a really top of the line high performance PC. That's always been in that price range from apple, nothing really new. The regular iMac is probably just fine for most users and most of those are in the $1-2k range.

I probably wouldn't buy an iMac- pro or otherwise though, just don't like how everything is integrated and difficult to impossible to upgrade. I do like the macbook pro though, I'm on my second one now. My wife is still using my first and it's still working despite being nearly 7 years old at this point.

*edit to add
I wouldn't buy a new PC with an Intel chip right now. They just found a major security flaw in the CPUs which is going to take a while to sort out and most of the fixes will slow the computer down. This pretty much means Apple's entire lineup I believe. AMD's CPUs have no issue and the Ryzen lineup is very nice if you want to go the PC route.

AMD's CPUs have no issue and the Ryzen lineup is very nice if you want to go the PC route.
No issue for AMD with one of the two problems which is basically Intel only and the easier one to 'fix'. Susceptible to the other one which is many more architectures.

With how long it takes to create new CPU designs we may be stuck with workarounds for quite a while before they can ship new CPUs based on how low level the problem is.

It's meant to be the new mac pro.... a higher end machine targeted towards power users, video editing, etc where they need a really top of the line high performance PC. That's always been in that price range from apple, nothing really new. The regular iMac is probably just fine for most users and most of those are in the $1-2k range.

I probably wouldn't buy an iMac- pro or otherwise though, just don't like how everything is integrated and difficult to impossible to upgrade. I do like the macbook pro though, I'm on my second one now. My wife is still using my first and it's still working despite being nearly 7 years old at this point.

*edit to add
I wouldn't buy a new PC with an Intel chip right now. They just found a major security flaw in the CPUs which is going to take a while to sort out and most of the fixes will slow the computer down. This pretty much means Apple's entire lineup I believe. AMD's CPUs have no issue and the Ryzen lineup is very nice if you want to go the PC route.

Yea I mean I understand the target market...it just seems crazy. You don't need a $5k-10k computer for great video editing. I do 4K video editing on Premiere Pro with my 2.5k desktop all the time. But I understand what your saying. It is really probably more suited towards businesses or maybe some professionals who need that. I was looking at the regular iMac and even that would cost me 3k with the way I would want it configured. In today's day and age it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on a computer for personal use. The technology just changes too rapidly.

Man that is pricy and the base gpu's are kinda meh.
For that price i'd just build my own tier 1 cpu and 1080ti sli multimonitor setup and pocket the 2-3 grand i have left over.

Man that is pricy and the base gpu's are kinda meh.
For that price i'd just build my own tier 1 cpu and 1080ti sli multimonitor setup and pocket the 2-3 grand i have left over.

yep...I had a 980ti sli setup at one point ;p

Latest MacBreak Weekly has Leo Laporte unboxing his, setting it up and running some performance tests.

Apropos of nothing my first Mac in 1985 was nearly $3k*. With 128k of memory and a 400k floppy drive.

I’m very content with my well-spec’d Mac Mini, but certainly there will be a market for a top-of-the-line iMac.

But it’s certainly not for everybody.

*Over $7k in today’s dollars

Back