I'm very lucky

GaryV

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
GaryV
My wife and I celebrated our 42nd anniversary yesterday and I was thinking about how lucky I am.

I have a lot of friends that have spouses that won't even fly with them but among all the little things she does for me every day she's the one that suggested we buy our 172 in 2003, that we upgrade to our 177RG in 2013, and that I get my IFR the next year. Last year she suggested we take the Cardinal to the Bahamas in the spring and that we do a west coast bucket list trip I'd been talking about in the fall.

I got very lucky when she said yes all those years ago.

Gary

I'd say she's a keeper. Congrats on your anniversary...and many more!

Likewise! (does she know how to make cole slaw?)

Happy Anniversary!

Sure is great to have a wife to share the love of flying with. I wouldn't do it without the support of my lady.

She cooks very well. My mother hated cooking and burned a lot of food. When we got married 1 was 6' 2" and 170 lbs. My wife likes to cook and cooks very well. Within 3 years of our getting married I was 6' 4" and 220 lbs. I've continued to grow but haven't gotten any taller. I've never learned to cook but I do the dishes since she hates that.

We got married over Easter break of our senior year of high school. I was 17. She was 18 (she's six months older than me). My parents actually had to sign a form for me. That took some talking but we got them to agree (good thing her parents didn't have to sign).

A lot of teachers and others we knew were convinced that we were doomed to failure. We moved into a place of our own on that first day and have managed to move up significantly since then. We both worked from the start and put each other through college.

One of her first jobs was as a nurses aid in a nursing home. She met so many people that put off doing things they would enjoy for 'some day' only to have their health fail or had some other major problem come up before 'some day' came that we decided to live within our means but to enjoy life while we could. We're very happy with that choice.

We've been to a lot of places, seen and done a lot of things, had a lot of fun, and still keep coming up with more to look forward to. We still enjoy spending time together and she spoils me rotten.

As I said, I got very lucky.

Gary

She cooks very well. My mother hated cooking and burned a lot of food. When we got married 1 was 6' 2" and 170 lbs. My wife likes to cook and cooks very well. Within 3 years of our getting married I was 6' 4" and 220 lbs. I've continued to grow but haven't gotten any taller. I've never learned to cook but I do the dishes since she hates that.

We got married over Easter break of our senior year of high school. I was 17. She was 18 (she's six months older than me). My parents actually had to sign a form for me. That took some talking but we got them to agree (good thing her parents didn't have to sign).

A lot of teachers and others we knew were convinced that we were doomed to failure. We moved into a place of our own on that first day and have managed to move up significantly since then. We both worked from the start and put each other through college.

One of her first jobs was as a nurses aid in a nursing home. She met so many people that put off doing things they would enjoy for 'some day' only to have their health fail or had some other major problem come up before 'some day' came that we decided to live within our means but to enjoy life while we could. We're very happy with that choice.

We've been to a lot of places, seen and done a lot of things, had a lot of fun, and still keep coming up with more to look forward to. We still enjoy spending time together and she spoils me rotten.

As I said, I got very lucky.

Gary

Awesome story..!!!!! You say you got lucky, does she feel the same way..?? ;):)

Congrats Gary ! That is a long time together, you should be proud. My parents are going on 47 years together. They have always been an inspiration for me. My wife and I were high school sweethearts but broke up before she graduated. She is two years younger. I went my way and she went hers but every couple years she would track me down and we would try to get back together. It just never worked since I was always on the other side of the country and was married to a very abusive woman for ten years. My ex and I separated and within two months my new bride took the train out to my home in Montana and never left, we had our first child together a year later,were married soon after and had a good wedding week since our second child came nine months after that. We were always meant to be together and I am a very happy man. I couldn't ask for a better partner in life. We don't argue, fight, get mad or bicker about anything. We are both very content I guess. We will never make it to 42 years u less by some miracle I can live that long.

Cheers!

Awesome story..!!!!! You say you got lucky, does she feel the same way..?? ;):)

I don't know why but she says she does. I think I got the better side of the deal. She's much nicer than I am

You sir are very lucky. Happy Anniversary! My wife and I will make 41 years this August. My MIL told my wife 2 days before the wedding it wouldn't last and all I was doing was using her for a meal ticket (college student later law student). Every time I see the old bat, I remind her I am still here. Anyway, she likes to fly in our 91 Tiger and has convinced me it's not necessary to figure out what it costs

I didn't have time to comment the other day when you posted, Gary, but our stories are similar. We were high school sweethearts here too, and much to the surprise of her parents who said, "No" to us when we were kids, and sent her off to college out of state (can't say they didn't try to save her from me! hahaha!), and us being broken up for a while during that timeframe, we ended up talking and getting back together in our early 20s and marrying.

I was even the idiot who broke up with her, and she kindly took me back later. Ha.

Best thing that ever happened to me. And the poor girl didn't know she was taking her life into her hands flying with a freshly minted private pilot at 19, so she's been silly enough to come along ever since and loves putting around in anything that flies.

Similar work background for her, too... first jobs were nurses aid, then nurse, then charge nurse, then Assistant Director of Nursing. Then she took a turn and changed from Home Care, to Wound Care, and loves it all. She's just built to be a caregiver.

We're on 25 this year and will be a while to get to 42, but at the speed at which 25 went by, I suspect it'll be here sooner than we think it will. But we'll be in our 70s.

I think we annoy our friends sometimes who've had all the bad luck and messed up relationships. Fortunately my family is full of that, so we can relate. They're usually surprised when the "perfect couple" doesn't judge them or think they're somehow bad people when stuff doesn't work out. We don't care. It's just life.

I think she's fun and I'm boring, and vice-versa, so it all works out pretty good around here. Oh... and her folks turned out to be the nicest people ever. Never had in-law trouble of any sort. Miss her dad as much as mine, sometimes. Wonderful people. They wondered about me at first, I'm sure. A couple of broke kids borrowing their camper trailer to head off to the desert southwest on their honeymoon. A quarter of a century later, we still wander off in the trailer, it's just a nicer trailer!

Life is so much easier when wife is onboard. We flew to KCAE yesterday for the Carolina Cup, and my wife told me to sell the C150 and buy a faster 4-seater... :)

Life is so much easier when wife is onboard. We flew to KCAE yesterday for the Carolina Cup, and my wife told me to sell the C150 and buy a faster 4-seater... :)

Well yeah, if you're going to torture her like that, she'll say anything! :)

Back