I'm thinking about joining the Air Force.

As with any of the armed services. After basic training, the AF will put you where they want you. My nephew is in the AF and had a Bachelor degree when he went in. They put him in communications. He did several years in comms, and a few tours in mid east. Every time the opportunity came up, he would apply for flight school. They finally accepted him, went for the physical, and was given the boot due to his height. (he's nearly 7' tall) after a while, he got a second chance, and when they measured his height, he slumped a little, and got in.
Graduated about 6 or so years ago. Then they put him to flying C17. After a couple years of that, they transferred him to Drones.
Now, he's back in OK for recurrent training in C-17. (been out of them for about 2 years) So in short, he'd spent nearly half his career doing almost everything except flying. But when they finally put him to flying, he's logged plenty of left seat time in C-17, which would look pretty good on his resume if he wanted to go to the airlines after retirement.

His brother, (my other nephew) also went into the AF with a college education. They put him to turning wrenches on F-15. He's now an F-15 wrench instructor. And probably will be when he retires, or they take all the F-15s out of service.

As with any of the armed services. After basic training, the AF will put you where they want you.
If you choose to join without a guaranteed job. If you have it in writing, they are required to give you the job you agreed to.

"Elected" yeah, did you miss all the leaked emails where the DNC ejected canadates they didn't like, it ain't a election man, the die was cast long before you went into that little voting booth.

....So why not kill for a cartel?

Pays more, you can still take the mindless automaton of its not your place to ask why the higher ups do what they do, kinda like the whole god works in mysterious ways bit, and you'll also make more money, same outcome of inflicting misery and your bosses will on those opposed who are not as well armed.

Shoot a guy while having USMC tatted on your arm, make lower middle range income

Shoot a guy with some Spanish symbol tatted on your arm, make 6 figures tax free.

If you're going to kill for money and not care or ask why, might as well kill for the highest bidder eh?
I didn't do it for the money, actually, I just wasn't all that into critcal analysis as a youngster. You might read my second paragraph more carefully. I sense (and could be wrong, I know) a certain naivety, or immaturity, in your response. I don't mean that as a general description, or as defining you totally - just that your expectations for institutions is not very evolved. . .what we have, what we are, though flawed, compares favorably with all that's gone before, and what is floating around currently.

"My king answers to God for me" was fine for me back then. But there was plenty of precedent for us being (mostly) on the right side of history, and that was as deep as I cared to delve then.

I didn't do it for the money, actually, I just wasn't all that into critcal analysis as a youngster. You might read my second paragraph more carefully. I sense (and could be wrong, I know) a certain naivety, or immaturity, in your response. I don't mean that as a general description, or as defining you totally - just that your expectations for institutions is not very evolved. . .what we have, what we are, though flawed, compares favorably with all that's gone before, and what is floating around currently.

"My king answers to God for me" was fine for me back then. But there was plenty of precedent for us being (mostly) on the right side of history, and that was as deep as I cared to delve then.

Ahh, I'm naieve, and it's complicated and chit, gotcha. And we're actually blowing the crap out of those countries for altruistic reasons... So what's your favorite flavor of that kool aid?

Altruistic? I hope not, or not too often. . .legitimate self interest? Sure, and we've stayed our hand, and/or acted with true restraint, often enough to claim a deserved place on the moral high ground. Did we ever pick a fight that wasn't called for? Yeah, I think so. But flip the coin - is the world better for our actions, taken in toto? Maybe Google the "Marshall Plan"? The good so much outweighs the bad that I'm bemused you don't see it.

You might consider a sense of proportion - we have effed up, and our politics ain't pretty - it isn't hard to find true flaws; but those less than perfect manifestations of who we are don't dim the much brighter light of what we've done. And our constant improvements.

Maybe think about the butcher's bill if we didn't have credible military force.

I
I don't know what's going on now, but back in my day, the AF fighters could carry tactical nukes. If they said "Push the button, Frank." would you do it? That's a huge decision..

There's talk of reintroducing tactical nukes on F-16s stationed in Korea, probably at Osan Air Base. We had 'em on F-4s when I was there in 73-74, and Germany back in the 60-70s.

I joined the USAF during VN the era. Could have went to college on a football scholarship (small school offers) but was sick of school (dummy me). So joined the USAF (dad was retired USAF), did basic, and went to tech school for ground radio repairman (6 month course I think), flunked out after about 2-3 months, and was assigned a job repairing/maintain heating equipment on base, such as furnaces and boilers, most oil-fired and some gas and coal fired. This was my first base and I started going to college at night. After about 8 years cross trained into air traffic control and did that for the next 12 years. I completed college around the 15 year mark and thought about getting commissioned, but one has to be on commissioned status for 10 to retire as an officer. Probably meant going to 25 years in my case, so I didn't apply.

I used tuition assistance for college (AF paid 75% of it) and after I got my PPC I used my GI Bill for the rest of my flight training(paid 90% of it). When I retired from the USAF as an E7 (MSgt) I had a BS in Bus Admin and my ATP. Flew for a year or so and got hired at a regional airline. Flew there for 24 years based out of ATL and flew the Brasilia and ATR turbo-props, and the CRJ 200,700, and 900.

Basic was 6 weeks back then. Tech schools can be up to a year or more. Some such as combat controllers and PJs go to schools for about 2 years. Almost did the combat controller deal but I was married with kids, and that job means one is gone a lot. My dad went to radar maintenance school and that was for an entire year. Some specialties you don't go to tech school, you learn OTJ.

As for James, I sometimes wish there was still a draft. Just saying.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to add my experience in the Air Force which I enjoyed for the most part. A lot of opportunities and advancing your education possible if one wants it.

There's talk of reintroducing tactical nukes on F-16s stationed in Korea, probably at Osan Air Base. We had 'em on F-4s when I was there in 73-74, and Germany back in the 60-70s.

I remember talking to a Navy flyboy, back in 71(?), who said "Do you want tactical nukes on a plane slamming into a aircraft carrier. I sure as hell don't."
Made perfect sense at the time.

I remember talking to a Navy flyboy, back in 71(?), who said "Do you want tactical nukes on a plane slamming into a aircraft carrier. I sure as hell don't."
Made perfect sense at the time.

LOL still does Sheperd, still does.

Comparing the US military to Mexican drug cartel. Nice.

Edited to add: I grew up the son of an Army, later Air Force Officer. I eventually enlisted in the Navy myself. My advice is finish college first and join as an officer. Big difference in lifestyle between enlisted and officer.

Last edited:
Story I heard, wrt to nukes on CVN's was that they finally offloaded them (along with the Marine "special weapons security" details) just prior to Desert Storm kicking off, and never brought them back on since. Some of the old USN/USMC guys probably can comment on whether or not this is true, just here say from my perspective.

Go ATC! "It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman." Yeah, because today you can join and be transgender. :D

Last edited:
I remember during Vietnam era they showed us film of a control tower being blown up by the Vietcong at ATC school. Guess it didn't matter, they already had us sworn in. :rofl:

Last edited:
In 20 yrs I was fortunate enough to pick my jobs and duty stations. It can be done.

No guarantees when I was in as far as what job (67-88). After 4 years at a base one could put in for a base of preference. Usually after a remote assignment (Korea, VNam, Alaska etc) you could get your first choice for your next assignment. This was for USAF.

In 20 yrs I was fortunate enough to pick my jobs and duty stations. It can be done.

Same here. I never was sent anywhere in which I didn't have some choice and certainly never anywhere I absolutely didn't want to go. I didn't spend over 20 years in uniform because it all sucked and I hated it. Sadly, many who have never served will never understand how good it can be in some ways.

I'm about 50/50, if you don't count flight school duty stations (3 of them). Last 2 tours (including this one) were where I wanted to go.

I'm about 50/50, if you don't count flight school duty stations (3 of them). Last 2 tours (including this one) were where I wanted to go.

Yeah but are you counting aircraft selection also? I know you wanted P-3s out of flight school but got forced into F-18s...don't lie! :)

Yes, and back in the day you could get a guaranteed base assignment. Maybe you still can?
Not sure about now. 16 years ago I went in guaranteed ATC and if you finished top of your class in tech school you got to pick anywhere in the world you wanted to go.

USAF, Enlisted in '76. Guaranteed job. Was shocked to find out in basic that some people got guaranteed duty assignment, too.
I had a guaranted job, first base of assignment choice, and a gurantee to cross-train to a diffrent AFSC after, I think, 24 months. If I recall, the new job had to be in a shortage speciailty. I did try to exercise the option late in year three, but they wouldn't approve a move requiring a PCS (budget) - negotiated a transfer to the Reserves. . .funny thing, I kept getting activated, and so spent more time on AD as a Reservist than I did on, well, AD.

Yeah but are you counting aircraft selection also? I know you wanted P-3s out of flight school but got forced into F-18s...don't lie! :)

haha no, I just meant location. With that having been said, I will admit that my #1 choice out of jet advanced was the EA-6B. Luckily, fate intervened, and it all worked out for the best. It was funny because at the time, I felt like if I asked for them, I'd get them since nobody else wanted Prowlers. Wife and I wanted to go back to the PNW (where we are from), and were counting down the days. I'll never forget the phone call after selection when I told her I got Hornets and we were going to Miramar. She started crying haha. I was like "come on......it's F'ing San Diego!" Fast forward 2 years, and she was crying that we were leaving, and didn't want to go to VA Beach/Oceana (we had asked for Lemoore stupidly). Fast forward another 3 years, and she was crying that we were leaving VA Beach for Fallon (ok, I kinda got that one). Fast forward another 3 years, and she was like "(the kid) and I are moving back to Oregon if you go to Lemoore or Japan". Luckily we got our first choice of Oceana, but I guess she ended up liking VA Beach after all. So much that she wants to settle down here after I get out. Whoda thunk? :)

haha no, I just meant location. With that having been said, I will admit that my #1 choice out of jet advanced was the EA-6B. Luckily, fate intervened, and it all worked out for the best. It was funny because at the time, I felt like if I asked for them, I'd get them since nobody else wanted Prowlers. Wife and I wanted to go back to the PNW (where we are from), and were counting down the days. I'll never forget the phone call after selection when I told her I got Hornets and we were going to Miramar. She started crying haha. I was like "come on......it's F'ing San Diego!" Fast forward 2 years, and she was crying that we were leaving, and didn't want to go to VA Beach/Oceana (we had asked for Lemoore stupidly). Fast forward another 3 years, and she was crying that we were leaving VA Beach for Fallon (ok, I kinda got that one). Fast forward another 3 years, and she was like "(the kid) and I are moving back to Oregon if you go to Lemoore or Japan". Luckily we got our first choice of Oceana, but I guess she ended up liking VA Beach after all. So much that she wants to settle down here after I get out. Whoda thunk? :)

Prowlers would have been cool. I'm more of an Intruder fan but those were probably long gone at your selection. Had Prowlers at Bagram when I was there. Those guys would come screaming in for the overhead! The noise on takeoff in the mornings was unmistakable as well.

Sometimes it's interesting where people gravitate to and then settle down after the military. The foreign countries especially. I have friends that decided to stay in places like Japan or Germany. They just got hooked on the culture and decided to stay. Even Yuma. Don't know what people see in that place but I know guys doing DOD ATC there. Guess we all have places during our tours where we just seem to mesh with our surroundings. Six different duty stations in 20 years, but none of them I really considered staying for good.

Now VA Beach? I don't know of anyone who doesn't like that area. Lot of retired military there.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think my draw to them was having watched Intruders flying around as a kid, and thinking it was the coolest jet ever. I know the Prowler guys always said it was real fast down low......and they definitely made a lot of noise. You probably didn't get to see this, but watching a Prowler doing FCLPs (or landing on the boat) was always a cool experience. Very loud, and those motors made noises that I have never heard from another airplane. I think part of it is the downward cant to the exhaust pipes, and the compressor noise from a military turbojet being manhandled on a carrier approach is very different from the more subdued slow spooling of the turbofans that power the rest of the airwing.

VA Beach is nice. I don't know if I fully appreciated it the first time we were here, but it's nice to finally go somewhere we have been before. This was my 7th move/duty station of my career.

Back