I'm thinking about becoming a Sport CFI...

calberto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Calberto
I'm about to finish up my commercial license and will be off for summer break in a couple of months. (Still in college :))

Once I finish my commercial I could get my normal CFI, but it may be easier to just get my Sport CFI so I can instruct back home for the summer.

Should I go ahead and get my sport CFI to ensure that I'll be ready for the summer or should I just bite the bullet and get the normal CFI?

Is there a market for Sport Pilot CFIs where you will be?

The Sport Pilot CFI certificate is so limiting (both in what you can do and in the people who will need your services) as to make it a non-option for someone who already has a commercial certificate.

You'll need to take two written tests and a checkride anyway, might as well take them for the CFI-Airplane certificate since you meet the other requirements.

With the CFI-Airplane you can, of course, instruct Sport Pilots as well, if there's a nearby market for that.

Probably depends on where you live as Russ already said. Where I am from (FL), there are practically no sport pilot students around. Lotta university students doing aviation programs that require the full CFI.

You don't actually need your commercial or instrument to be a sport CFI though from what I've read, dunno how accurate that is, but man sounds like fun if you don't wanna (or can't due to time) get your commercial.

Maybe that's what you were getting at :)

Thanks, that is actually really helpful. I have a grass strip (where I got my private) less than a mile from my house. Focus is Sport pilot training in Aeronca Champs.

And yeah, Caramon, one of the biggest reasons for wanting to get sport cfi is cuz it's a little easier to get. I know I could finish that before the summer for sure. Normal CFI might take a little longer, but I think it's worth the risk.

Would it really be that much easier? I have no experience with the Sport Pilot CFI training, so maybe it is. But a cursory look through the Sport Pilot CFI PTS shows that the maneuvers required are basically the same as the Private Pilot PTS. It does not require the Commercial maneuvers, but since you're just finishing up your commercial anyway, those should be a piece of cake.

For either CFI-SP or CFI-A you have to:
- Take FOI test
- Take a knowledge test
- Take a checkride, during which you:
- Have an "oral" part
- Teach at least one maneuver on the ground
- Fly from the right seat
- Teach Private Pilot maneuvers

So, the only think I'm seeing that's substantially different is that for the CFI-A you also have to teach some Commercial maneuvers. (I think once you break it down it comes to just two Commercial maneuvers.) Which, again, you will already be proficient at, having just passed your Commercial checkride at that time.

I would think the Sport Pilot CFI would only be really useful for someone who doesn't have or want their Commercial OR their Instrument ratings. If you already have these, I can't see the appeal in limiting yourself.

Why not get the regular CFI? Then you have everything covered. Might want to get your Ground Instructor while you're at it. I don't have that (Grd Instr) but I think it's the same written exams.

Yeah, you guys are right. I guess I've heard that the sport CFI written is easier than the normal CFI written. I realize I still have to take FOI, though. Might as well suck it up and just do the normal CFI! lol

What is the best knowledge test study programs you guys have used? I've heard good things about Sheppard Air, but I've never used it. I've used Gleim, and it's okay... Not my favorite.

I did all the work and did the writtens,after considering the amount of work available,decided against getting the rating. Flight time in Lsa aircraft was going to cost over 3k.

Go for the full CFI

Back