I'm old

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
When I was a young whipper-snapper of 33 years of age, I started my quest in aviation. My first lesson was days before 9/11.

Now, today I received my coveted AOPA 10-year pin. Seems like just yesterday that I started.

It's been a very good ride.

You are still a whipper-snapper, Ben. Wait'll you break 50...

...you guys ever playing down this way again, or did I screw up by missing the only legitimate opportunity to hear you live without flying to Yankee-land?

You are still a whipper-snapper, Ben. Wait'll you break 50...

...you guys ever playing down this way again, or did I screw up by missing the only legitimate opportunity to hear you live without flying to Yankee-land?

Oh! We'll be down there again soon, I'm sure! Maybe for the 2012-2013 season.

On another note, my lil' sister just graduated SMU a few months ago. I'm the only one in my family who wasn't associated with that university!

I felt old when a kid I babysat for once had his own kid

I felt old when talking to someone who wasn't alive when the Challenger blew up

Heck, I felt old when I needed to switch to cleats when playing softball - I couldn't beat the throw on grounders to third anymore.

A 10 year pin? feh.

<mutter mutter>

I just realized that I have been flying longer than most of you kids have been alive. :(

I had a 102.7 fever two days ago. I not only felt old, but It seemed like my grandfather was right.... you have to be one tough SOB to get old :(

God bless penicillin :)

hhmm. Not quite true....:(

Note that he said "most". You and I, Bruce, aren't "most" (along with some others on this board). Then, again, Tom is an old coot, so he might well have been flying longer than you and I have been alive. :D

That's good to read - it means I'm still a young whipper-snapper! (Born in 1956.)

I was hatched in '58...
First time I really felt old was the day I was driving down the road listening to a new radio station doing a "Lunchtime with the Oldies" show.

They were playing stuff I grew up with.:rofl:

Oh well;
From the day your're born 'till you ride in the Hearse,
It ain't never so bad it couldn't get worse.

Chris
Official Aged Flatuent

:DBen don't feel bad. My grandaughter is older than you.

Why yes. Yes you are.

:rolleyes:

1939 - and next year I get my 40 year AOPA pin.

If you never flew XC using a Superhomer with a couple of crystals in your shirt pocket for the transmitter you are a wet nosed pup....
If you never flew XC using a Mobile gas station road map for locating the names on the water towers you haven't even hatched yet - man oh man, there are a lot of small towns no one ever heard of in the back country of Oklahoma and Texas...
Ahh yes, the days of the Flying Red Horse... I had hair in those days and the girls behind the counter at the pharmacy soda counter giggled when I ostentatiously peered down their blouses as they bent over to scoop ice cream... We both enjoyed it...

OTOH, I like my moving map GPS...

denny-o

I may be old, but I sure don't feel it. And you know what? Flying has a LOT to do with that. Every new airplane type I fly, and there have been a lot of them lately, makes me feel younger. If this keeps going, I may start getting acne.

A few years ago I learned that I was eligible for the "Wright Brothers Memorial Award" that the FAA bestows on pilots with more than 50 years experience. I called and got the application package but never got around to submitting it.

A few years ago I learned that I was eligible for the "Wright Brothers Memorial Award" that the FAA bestows on pilots with more than 50 years experience. I called and got the application package but never got around to submitting it.

I'd have to live another 41 years and still be flying to reach your milestone. Congrats. Submit the package, it's no small feat and deserves to be recognized.

If you never flew XC using a Superhomer with a couple of crystals in your shirt pocket for the transmitter you are a wet nosed pup....
If you never flew XC using a Mobile gas station road map for locating the names on the water towers you haven't even hatched yet - man oh man, there are a lot of small towns no one ever heard of in the back country of Oklahoma and Texas...
Ahh yes, the days of the Flying Red Horse... I had hair in those days and the girls behind the counter at the pharmacy soda counter giggled when I ostentatiously peered down their blouses as they bent over to scoop ice cream... We both enjoyed it...
You know you’re an old pilot when …

– You remember when “upgrading avionics” meant trading in the radio with “whistle-stop” tuning for a complete “1-1/2″ system.
– … when sectional charts were only printed on one side*;
– … when VORs were called "omnis" and had voice identification;
– … when aeronautical chart symbols included airway beacons, drive-in movies and mooring masts.
– You have ever had to circumnavigate around a Military Climb Corridor.
– You know what “one for the run and five for the hive” meant.
– You have drained green or purple avgas from the sump.

*Pretty soon we may be waxing nostalgic about when sectional charts were printed at all, rather than being electronically displayed.

My first lesson was days before 9/11.
I was surprised recently to look in my first logbook and discover that my first lesson was on the day Lee Harvey Oswald was shot.

I may be old, but I sure don't feel it. And you know what? Flying has a LOT to do with that. Every new airplane type I fly, and there have been a lot of them lately, makes me feel younger. If this keeps going, I may start getting acne.
Very well said, Lance, and I agree totally. I'm grateful for every minute.

It's been a very good ride.
Amen! :)

I'm currently too busy for that stuff. My current assignment is scout team quarterback for the Y football team.

I'd have to live another 41 years and still be flying to reach your milestone. Congrats. Submit the package, it's no small feat and deserves to be recognized.

Old? I'll consider myself old when I figure I'm done learning.

Here's a picture of what you young pups might like to see someday. And for those few that already have it, let's have a party when we get the next one! :D

Attachments

• AOPA-40b.jpg
    AOPA-40b.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 14
Back