I'm kicking the Dr. Pepper habit

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok, I've determined that drinking the amount of Dr. Pepper I drink daily is NOT healthy, and without it, I suspect I'll lose a massive amount of weight as well (bonus). I like the taste of Iced Tea, so I figure I'll get my caffeine from that instead.

Anyone suggest decent, unsweetened tea that I can buy in bulk (like I would buy 12 packs of Dr. Pepper every other day)? I need to do it that way to avoid going bankrupt from starting a new habit.

Oh, and yeah, Dr. Pepper rocks the house. Unfortunately, it also rocked my mind and my waist.

Dude... Brew your own! You can go sweet (manna from heaven) or un-sweetened (yankee tea). Go buy a box of Lipton tea bags for a couple of bucks. Put two bags in a coffee maker like you normally would to make coffee. Take that pot of tea and pour it in a one gallon pitcher with two cups of sugar. Once the sugar has dissolved, add ice and/or cold water to top off the 1 gallon. Chill or pour over ice to serve.

P.S.: If you don't have a coffee maker, just pour the same amount of water you use to make mac-n-cheese in a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, drop in two tea bags and let boil for 2-3 minutes until the boiling water gets 'dark' with brewed tea. Then follow above steps with 'pot of tea'.

Enjoy!

Please....don't use Lipton. The only tea for ice tea is Luzianne (decaf for me) IMNSHO.

Please....don't use Lipton. The only tea for ice tea is Luzianne (decaf for me) IMNSHO.

AAACKKK!! Yes you are RIGHT!! I had a brain fart. Please accept my deepest apologies and don't revoke my 'southern good 'ol boy' membership card!!

Luzianne is the way to go!!!!

I buy Lipton tea in bulk family bags. The flavor works for me. They make a gallon at a time and I brew it in the coffee pot. In fact, that's the only reason I have a coffee pot.

I have a large pitcher that holds about 1.5 gallons. I marked it to show the one-gallon point. I'll brew a full twelve cups, pour it into the pitcher then add sweetener and mix. Then I'll add more water up to the mark and stir. Now that I have a decent water filter on the fridge, I'll just mix in ice for the remainder.

I go through about four gallons of tea a week. I'll even leave the house in the morning with a large cup of ice tea. I still have Coke and Dr. Pepper around but drink a tenth or less of that I used to.

Nick, someday, someone is going to do an anthropological study of online communities, and it's likely, with all the info you've posted here, you will be the "Lucy" of the 327th century.
you're a funny dude.

lol Dave. I like to think my life is an open book 'round here.

I don't keep much private from y'all.

So - I like the idea of Lipton or Luzianne. I drink my tea unsweetened (except for the rare ocassion where I drink southern style sweet tea which would rot my gut and my teeth at the same time if I drank that much of it).

BUT, I'm talking about something I can drink like soda. I get a Dr. Pepper craving, I need to hold either a can or a bottle of something and drink it like a Dr. Pepper. Also, it would be nice to be convenient so I don't have to brew stuff when I'm thirsty.

FWIW, I don't drink water. Never been much a fan of the taste (and yes, it does have a taste, despite what people say. Even distilled water has a taste).

Get a few bottles of water (poland springs with the resealable cap), use the water to brew the tea, then fill up the bottles. Reuse as needed or buy more water.
You can also start off with some variety of lipton in the glass bottle, save your dr pepper bottles, or raid the trash.
You'll be fixed for life.

How about (I hate to say it) Diet Dr. Pepper?
It doesn't taste too bad and you can still get the kick from the caff without the contribution to Donelops Disease.

I went to the flavored water from soda and lost some poundage.....
Eric
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited:
Nick is missing the big picture---he's out in the field in the gawd awful heat & lo humidity and his only liquid intake is Dr Pepper. DP is not in and of itself bad but when that is your only liquid you are well on your way to becoming a patient.

I suggest more non-diuretic liquids. I drink at least 2 liters/day of water interspersed with a sugar-less electrolyte-replenishing drink.

Steve made me drink sweet tea. I still have nightmares.

W.C. Fields used to say that he never drank water because fish f*ck in it. I like the thought of Diet Dr. P, I drink the stuff all the time. I did take some getting used to though.

And stop smoking! :)

Nick, there is Diet Dr. Pepper, 'cept it uses evil Nutrasweet.

Just get unsweetened tea and add SPLENDA. Don't mess with anything else.

Arizona Diet Peach Tea is sweetened with Splenda and is $2.49 a gallon at Walgreens here.

Just be aware that drinking splenda and those other artificial sweeteners can result in a, well, laxative effect! :eek:

Nick:

Go to walmart or similar establishment and purchase an inexpensive drip brewer for tea. They come with a half gallon or larger pitcher to put in the fridge. Then just buy any variety of tea you may like and you will save a bundle and enjoy a cold beverage without the artificial sweeteners, etc. Even cheaper, make "sun tea", heaven knows you have alot of that there in Arizona- Take a Gallon Jug of cold water and place 8 to 10 tea bags of your choce and set it out for about 4 hours, then chill. Makes excellent tea!

Scott

Just be aware that drinking splenda and those other artificial sweeteners can result in a, well, laxative effect! :eek:

That's xylicol(sp?) the sugar alcohol. Splenda doesn't do that. For me Nutrasweet makes my brain hurt. Even the pink stuff, saccharine is better than Nutrasweet/aspertame, and it's a carcinogen.

i kicked soda all together a while back. i was a binge dr. pepper drinker. would go all week with none and then drink a twelve pack on saturday night. finally realized i was not being nice to myself. quit cold turkey and lost 10 lbs. its a lot easier to get to sleep now and waking up early isnt as bad. i drink a fair amount of water and juice.

Nick, there is Diet Dr. Pepper, 'cept it uses evil Nutrasweet.

Just get unsweetened tea and add SPLENDA. Don't mess with anything else.

Arizona Diet Peach Tea is sweetened with Splenda and is $2.49 a gallon at Walgreens here.

The Arizona Diet Teas are great - and come in handy size cans or liter bottles. The diet peach, diet blueberry, and even diet white cranberry teas are great, though I generally opt for the diet green tea with honey and ginsing. Gives you a little energy boost, ups the metabolism rate a bit, and is a natural antioxidant - as well as completely calorie and carb free. Good stuff if your motivation is weight loss.

Also, their lite Arnold Palmer is pretty good too, but with regular tea, not the green tea and lemonade version.

Nick:

Go to walmart or similar establishment and purchase an inexpensive drip brewer for tea. They come with a half gallon or larger pitcher to put in the fridge. Then just buy any variety of tea you may like and you will save a bundle and enjoy a cold beverage without the artificial sweeteners, etc. Even cheaper, make "sun tea", heaven knows you have alot of that there in Arizona- Take a Gallon Jug of cold water and place 8 to 10 tea bags of your choce and set it out for about 4 hours, then chill. Makes excellent tea!

Scott

Sun Tea? Do people still do that? That was a big deal when I was a kid.

AAACKKK!! Yes you are RIGHT!! I had a brain fart. Please accept my deepest apologies and don't revoke my 'southern good 'ol boy' membership card!!

Luzianne is the way to go!!!!

It's all good Chris. We'll even let you keep the card :D

Sun Tea? Do people still do that? That was a big deal when I was a kid.
Yes, and do it with Luzaine! Then put it in half-liter plastic bottles and keep one handy to quench that Dr. Pepper thirst. It'll be a LOT cheaper and better for you. Like you, Nick, I used to not drink water. Then I found that if I just kept some cold water next to me I could easily drink 1 - 2 liters a day, even though I didn't particularly like the taste at first!

You go, Nick. The best I have been able to do is to switch to the mini cans. Well half intake is better than full intake.
They used to say 'eating sugar does not cause diabetes'. But now I read "well, sugar intake is related to obesity... and obesity does have a direct link to.....diabetes!". It makes sense that if you blast your blood with glucose, the pancreas is going to churn out insulin in waves matching your consumption. Why not beta cell burn-out, from that? Docs?

I have one more word:
WATER! (esp in the desert Nick, you will feel 1000% better working out in the sun, drinking only water -- well, that is, after your withdrawl is over!)

Later, I will post how my marriage almost did not come off, because of the 'Great Tea Dispute' of 1989, with my in-laws.

Nick, you, Toni and I should start Dr. Pepper ananomous. My wife is always
giving me a hard time about drinking them and not drinking water. Like you I don't care for water (I can tolerate the flavored waters when working out in the sun). I probably have a case a week habit:eek:
So you go first then convince me I can kick it too.

Nick, you, Toni and I should start Dr. Pepper anonomous. My wife is always
giving me a hard time about drinking them and not drinking water. Like you I don't care for water (I can tolerate the flavored waters when working out in the sun). I probably have a case a week habit:eek:

don it can be done. i was a total soda addict in high school. i would have a mountain dew for breakfast and then would drink steadily all evening when working at my dad's pizza place. probably was averaging somewhere around a half gallon a day. i didnt work every night.

Nick, you, Toni and I should start Dr. Pepper ananomous. My wife is always

Hi. My name is Lisa, and I'm a Dr. Pepper addict too :yes: . I forced myself to stop drinking them about 3 months ago, but they still call my name every time I walk past the cooler isle at the store.

If you want to REALLY get hooked on Dr. Pepper, stop by the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco or the plant in Dublin, Tx and buy it from the soda shop where it's made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar. OMG! :eek: I'm getting the shakes just thinking about it. :D

Bubbly water is yummy, and there are different flavors. I find the lemon to taste like lemon pledge, but some of the others, like raspberry, are good, and you can buy small bottles and hold em in your hand and you won't get fat from drinking them.
Although, careful opening them at 7k'. whoa

Good for you.

Don't start on the artificial sweeteners, though. It's just another habit you will need to break. Once you stop drinking sweet drinks, you'll find you start to lose the taste for sweet and you don't really need that extra ice cream or whatever. Great for the waist.

I make tea in a coffee maker at home, in a teapot at work. If you get a new favorite cup you can begin a new ritual. I have a beautiful bone china teacup and saucer with a Courier & Ives scene printed on it for work. Probably not the image you want to project, but thats the idea. Make your own self-image statement.

Nick, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I will. Skip the iced tea. Skip the diet drinks. Go right to beer. That's right. Beer. Your worries will be over.

Edit: But I do have a question. Does this mean no Dr Pepper product placement revenue for your builder's cam?

Thank goodness no one mentioned Mr. Pibb... <evil grin>

Make your own tea. Use Green Tea - box of 100 bags is cheap at Costco. There are supposed additional health benefits to Green Tea.

YES, by all means support Maine.The springs of Poland Spring are only about 30 miles from my house.

HR

I keep it simple. I buy the store brand iced tea mix which makes 28 quarts, mix it in Jack Daniels and S. S. Pierce Bourbon(collector's item) bottles; also, former eggnog bottles. Weight?? I've weighed between 138-142 since 1960(3rd year of high school).

HR (and can one imagine the money I've saved(not spent) by not being a beer drinker or a smoker?)

Nick, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I will. Skip the iced tea. Skip the diet drinks. Go right to beer. That's right. Beer. Your worries will be over.

Edit: But I do have a question. Does this mean no Dr Pepper product placement revenue for your builder's cam?

Hops, yeast and barley...my doc did say to increase my fiber intake :yes:

Hi. My name is Lisa, and I'm a Dr. Pepper addict too :yes: . I forced myself to stop drinking them about 3 months ago, but they still call my name every time I walk past the cooler isle at the store.

If you want to REALLY get hooked on Dr. Pepper, stop by the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco or the plant in Dublin, Tx and buy it from the soda shop where it's made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar. OMG! :eek: I'm getting the shakes just thinking about it. :D

Some friends bought me a tall boy six pack of Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar for my 50th birthday. Your right it is good!!

YES, by all means support Maine.The springs of Poland Spring are only about 30 miles from my house.

HR

Yeahbut, after Perrier, aka Nestle' bought them they get the water from Lake Michigan...Ok, from a "spring" about 50 feet from Lake Michigan near the Straits of Mackinaw. There's a fear that they're draining and shipping away enough water to lower the lake levels.

Some friends bought me a tall boy six pack of Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar for my 50th birthday. Your right it is good!!

I really want to go to Dublin someday for the Dr Pepper....I had never heard about this cane sugar Dr. Pepper.....

That will be the day that I cheat and drink a crapload of Dr. Pepper again.

HR

I used to drink PS water all the time up in NH. I have never seen it this far in the SW, except when watching Red Sox games....

Out here, its all Dasani.

Back