I'm kicking the Dr. Pepper habit

I really want to go to Dublin someday for the Dr Pepper....I had never heard about this cane sugar Dr. Pepper.....

That will be the day that I cheat and drink a crapload of Dr. Pepper again.

I found a six pack of bottles of Dublin Dr. Peppers in the Central Market grocery store in Fort Worth not long ago. Do they have those there? They might carry it.

-- not that I'm trying to knock you off the wagon or anything. :D

I found a six pack of bottles of Dublin Dr. Peppers in the Central Market grocery store in Fort Worth not long ago. Do they have those there? They might carry it.

-- not that I'm trying to knock you off the wagon or anything. :D

Nope, no Central Market.

But hey, I found Vernors at the local Basha's SuperMarket!

I really want to go to Dublin someday for the Dr Pepper....I had never heard about this cane sugar Dr. Pepper.....

That will be the day that I cheat and drink a crapload of Dr. Pepper again.

I think it's funny that you're already planning your fall off of the wagon. :)

gosh this talk about imperial cane sugar and EVEN BETTER tasting DP has got me about ready to buy a case and see how it tastes. 10 bucks a 24 pack on the website. drool.

gosh this talk about imperial cane sugar and EVEN BETTER tasting DP has got me about ready to buy a case and see how it tastes. 10 bucks a 24 pack on the website. drool.

Worth every penny! (disclaimer: I don't work for, nor profit from the sales of Dublin Dr. Pepper... but I should after all the money I've spent on it all these years!)

maybe spike should get a case and bring it to gastons :yes:

Worth every penny! (disclaimer: I don't work for, nor profit from the sales of Dublin Dr. Pepper... but I should after all the money I've spent on it all these years!)
What is so special about this particular sugar?

What is so special about this particular sugar?

It just makes the Dr. Pepper taste better. It was the original formula, but in the 70's most of the bottling plants switched to high fructose corn syrup instead because it was cheaper. The Dublin plant stuck with the cane sugar. It's hard to describe the difference in taste, but it's MUCH better with the cane sugar.

And as a side note, it's even BETTER if you go to the plant soda shop and have them mix it up for you right there!

It just makes the Dr. Pepper taste better. It was the original formula, but in the 70's most of the bottling plants switched to high fructose corn syrup instead because it was cheaper. The Dublin plant stuck with the cane sugar. It's hard to describe the difference in taste, but it's MUCH better with the cane sugar.

And as a side note, it's even BETTER if you go to the plant soda shop and have them mix it up for you right there!
Ya sold me. I'll have to try the original DP experience before I kick the bucket.

I wonder if anyone here has been to the World of Coke in Atlanta. At the end of the tour, you can sample all the drinks they make. Some of them, you know. But, there are several from around the world not available in the US. A couple tasted horrible. I can't believe people drink that stuff.

Sun Tea? Do people still do that? That was a big deal when I was a kid.

As soon as we have warm weather (and we've finally got it) my wife will always have some in the refrigerator, or on the railing of the deck brewing. Good stuff!

Ya sold me. I'll have to try the original DP experience before I kick the bucket.

I wonder if anyone here has been to the World of Coke in Atlanta. At the end of the tour, you can sample all the drinks they make. Some of them, you know. But, there are several from around the world not available in the US. A couple tasted horrible. I can't believe people drink that stuff.
The History Channel has a story about Coke a Cola. Quite fascinating. I think it is part of their "EATS" series. Goes back to the mid 1800s and really had medicinal coke in it.

Think of all the money you could make bootlegging Dr Pepper out of Dublin. It wouldn't be the first time something like that had been done. That's how we got COORS and a major motion picture was based on bootlegging ("Smokey and the Bandit").
Oh... and where did NASCAR come from?

Can anybody bring a case of this stuff to Gaston's? I'm a recovering DP addict myself. My vice was fountain DP from Burger King and McDonald's. Extra sweet and extra yummy. I'd just drive through for a pop and not ever order any food.

I kicked it because I figured up that I was spending over $650 a year on pop.:hairraise:

I feel pretty damn good knowing that I am not alone. For some reason, I figured I had this really bad addiction that no one would understand (I've never personally seen anyone drink as much DP as I do).

Maybe I'm not so bad afterall.

BTW - This concludes my first full day without soda.

I feel pretty damn good knowing that I am not alone. For some reason, I figured I had this really bad addiction that no one would understand (I've never personally seen anyone drink as much DP as I do).

Way to go, Nick. It gets easier...and you will lose weight. I lost 4-5 pounds in the first couple of weeks.

You're definitely not alone.

Ok, I've determined that drinking the amount of Dr. Pepper I drink daily is NOT healthy, and without it, I suspect I'll lose a massive amount of weight as well (bonus). I like the taste of Iced Tea, so I figure I'll get my caffeine from that instead.

Anyone suggest decent, unsweetened tea that I can buy in bulk (like I would buy 12 packs of Dr. Pepper every other day)? I need to do it that way to avoid going bankrupt from starting a new habit.

Oh, and yeah, Dr. Pepper rocks the house. Unfortunately, it also rocked my mind and my waist.

I use Twining's Earl Grey and Ceylon teas, Celestial Seasonings Chai and Constant Comment (orange) tea either independantly or in various mixtures. Any or them is good hot or cold. Boil water in a kettle, pour on bags in a pitcher, let steep to taste (do NOT stir or bounce the bags, this brings out tannin and makes it bitter) pull the bags and refridgerate. Don't use a coffee maker as the water coming out isn't boiling (which is why they make whimpy coffee as well) and you want it boiling as it goes on the bags.

Oh, you're bad alright, it's just that you have plenty of company at it...:p :D

Me too, origional as in made with opium...
I love my green card too much to jump the gun on this version...

But, if I do end up on some opiate, the bucket has been kicked and leaking significantly! :goofy:

I never really drank Dr. Pepper... more of a straight up Pepsi guy. I got to try cane-sugar Coke in the Dominican Republic and it was everything people say it is. The sweetness of the sugar plays better with the acidity of the cola better than corn syrup. It is hard to describe, you'll just have to try it.

A while ago someone convinced me that it would be better for my singing voice if I laid off carbonated beverages, so I started drinking more iced tea than Pepsi. I don't think I'm doing it right, though; I usually add two packets of real sugar for a normal sized glass. Oh well, I have a fast metabolism, I can handle it.

I wish I had your problem...I'm usually pounding about a 12 pack a day of Pepsi. It is my major caloric intake, and if I could just cut back to 4 cans a day I would be rail thin. I tried the diet stuff and it sucks. The only diet soda I like is Diet Mountain Dew or Tropicana Sugar Free Lemonade and they have to be ice cold to enjoy. They should have a support group for all the soda drinkers out there. Keep it up and let us know if the monkey is on your back.

Well, I didn't do so well kicking Dr. Pepper. I made it until the stresses of Gastons and completely fell off the wagon. But here's the good news:

My friend found pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper at a supermarket and bought some. Now I have Dr. Pepper waiting for me next to my Madden 2007 chair. I'll give a report on the pure, tasty goodness of cane Dr. Pepper shortly!

Just be aware that drinking splenda and those other artificial sweeteners can result in a, well, laxative effect! :eek:

As someone who cannot have sugar products (due to an RNY gastric bypass procedure, not diabetes or anything) and tried live tests on everything: Never had issues with splenda. (Not saying others don't.) It's the Maltitol and other "sugar alchohols" that get you. Xylitol might be an option, but not if you share your beverages with your dog.

Nick, the Crystal Light teas are awesome. Powdered, but awesome. I am completely taken with the blueberry white tea (only comes in those stupid little On the Go packs, but the taste is worth it. Dump one in a liter of water and I am good to go.) And Lipton makes some unsweetened teas in a bottle. So do a few other companies. check the beverage aisle in your local grocery. If you have a Trader Joe's in your neigh borhood, try there, I KNOW they have it. You can even get a quart bottle for those really desperate moments.

If you like pop, you might also consider Diet Rite and the Hansens brands. Hansen's makes a no sugar ginger ale that is dry, crisp, and is so gingery it will make you sneeze.

Good luck finding a solution.

I never really drank Dr. Pepper... more of a straight up Pepsi guy. I got to try cane-sugar Coke in the Dominican Republic and it was everything people say it is. The sweetness of the sugar plays better with the acidity of the cola better than corn syrup. It is hard to describe, you'll just have to try it.
<SNIP>

I used to get the "Kosher for Passover" Coke- that had cane sugar for a sweetener. I haven't seen it in a while, but I haven't been in the New York City area around Passover in a long time either. Look for the little red Hebrew letters on the top of the can (that translate to "Kosher for Passover").

As someone who cannot have sugar products (due to an RNY gastric bypass procedure, not diabetes or anything) and tried live tests on everything: Never had issues with splenda. (Not saying others don't.) It's the Maltitol and other "sugar alchohols" that get you. Xylitol might be an option, but not if you share your beverages with your dog.

Nick, the Crystal Light teas are awesome. Powdered, but awesome. I am completely taken with the blueberry white tea (only comes in those stupid little On the Go packs, but the taste is worth it. Dump one in a liter of water and I am good to go.) And Lipton makes some unsweetened teas in a bottle. So do a few other companies. check the beverage aisle in your local grocery. If you have a Trader Joe's in your neigh borhood, try there, I KNOW they have it. You can even get a quart bottle for those really desperate moments.

If you like pop, you might also consider Diet Rite and the Hansens brands. Hansen's makes a no sugar ginger ale that is dry, crisp, and is so gingery it will make you sneeze.

Good luck finding a solution.

Mmmmmmmmmmm! I love that blueberry white tea! I to like to pour it in a bigger bottle of water. I find that the stuff is too concentrated in the smaller bottles. The Lipton green tea cherry blossom is another yummy flavor!:)

I used to get the "Kosher for Passover" Coke- that had cane sugar for a sweetener. I haven't seen it in a while, but I haven't been in the New York City area around Passover in a long time either. Look for the little red Hebrew letters on the top of the can (that translate to "Kosher for Passover").

So what's up with the cane sugar? It's better for you than processed sugar? (what's not I guess).

I've been on a "sugar free" diet for about two weeks. It's not so bad except for the inconvenience and the lack of alcohol. I'm not much of a soft drink person so I guess that makes it a bit easier.

Hang in there Nick. Find a substitute for the Dr. Pepper if you can. Maybe beer? No, wait! Bad plan! I've gone from drinking "a few" drinks every evening to carrying around a glass of caffein free iced tea with sugar free lemonade powder mix in it. Not too bad but the buzz isn't quite the same. :mad:

The cane sugar isn't better for you- it just tastes better.

I dropped my intake of soda and flavorings (lemonade, etc) over the past year. Along with portioning my food, I lost 15 pounds.

One disappointment- Jolt cola is now made with corn syrup :(

So what's up with the cane sugar? It's better for you than processed sugar? (what's not I guess).

Like most soft drinks, DP was changed over, by most licensed bottlers, to using corn syrup in place of cane sugar. Less costly, but not as good.

Dr. Pepper Bottling of Dublin, Texas (one of the last small-town bottlers, too) has never abandoned the true formula, and it is from there that the near-mythic "Dublin Dr. Pepper," with real Imperial Pure-Cane Sugar, is shipped.

Dublin is, for this reason, a popular pilots' trip.

Wow - it was absolutely wonderful. Had a totally different print on the can too. But man, oh man, it was delicious.

I could get hooked on sugar Dr. Pepper too. Ahh!

Wow - it was absolutely wonderful. Had a totally different print on the can too. But man, oh man, it was delicious.

I could get hooked on sugar Dr. Pepper too. Ahh!

I TOLD you!:p You've done it now though. It's twice as addictive as regular DP.. it'll be twice as difficult to kick the habit now that you've had a "little taste". :rofl:

OK, Nick, when (not if, but "when") you come to Dallas, we'll organize a little DP Fly-in.

dang now i really got to get some. not sure if i can hold back

There is a Wisconsin soda maker and also beer maker as it is Wisconsin, called Sprecher's. They make a great Root Beer that uses cane sugar and you can really taste the difference. I also love their Cranberry ginseng soda.

Back