I'm in trouble now

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
When I said I should join the 21st century I meant getting proficient in glass cockpits. I certainly
didn't mean iPods.

Dang impulsive shopping, now I'm in trouble...in only a few minutes I've downloaded 20 songs @ $0.99 per.

Tsk, tsk, tsk... Richard, I thought you were above that craze.

:D

FWIW Richard, I've probably downloaded 10 times that amount...

Dude, that's why you use Napster . . . it's like . . . Free . . . man.

~ Christopher

Dude, that's why you use Napster . . . it's like . . . Free . . . man.

~ Christopher

NOTHING in this world is free but bad advice. IMO you never get something for nothing.
You will eventually pay one way or another for "free" peer to peer downloading.

"On September 8, 2003, the recording industry sued 261 American music fans for sharing songs on peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing networks, kicking off an unprecedented legal campaign against its own customers. The recording industry has now filed, settled, or threatened, legal actions against well over 20,000 individuals, and there is no end in sight. "

When I said I should join the 21st century I meant getting proficient in glass cockpits. I certainly
didn't mean iPods.

Dang impulsive shopping, now I'm in trouble...in only a few minutes I've downloaded 20 songs @ $0.99 per.

Mail it over to me, I'll return it loaded up with music....:yes:

NOTHING in this world is free but bad advice. IMO you never get something for nothing.

"On September 8, 2003, the recording industry sued 261 American music fans for sharing songs on peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing networks, kicking off an unprecedented legal campaign against its own customers. The recording industry has now filed, settled, or threatened, legal actions against well over 20,000 individuals, and there is no end in sight. "

I am noticing a distinct difference in viewpoint between these two posts... :goofy:

He was...joking? After all, Napster is completely legitimate.

Use the USPS and you are violating yet another federal law.
You might get away with it, but illegal nonetheless

Just put your own CDs on it. I think 99 cents per song is great - the alternative used to be spending 15-20 bucks on an entire CD, for one song - unless the artist was really good.

Use the USPS and you are violating yet another federal law.
You might get away with it, but illegal nonetheless

And how do you know that he is doing anything illegal? You need to stop jumping to conclusions. Do you work for the RIIA? Or do you just assume that everything is a crime? For all you know Henning is only intending on loading it up with completely free music. Maybe Henning is planning on writing and recording his own songs to put on it.

And how do you know that he is doing anything illegal? You need to stop jumping to conclusions. Do you work for the RIIA? Or do you just assume that everything is a crime? For all you know Henning is only intending on loading it up with completely free music. Maybe Henning is planning on writing and recording his own songs to put on it.

No Jessie, I dont KNOW if he is or not doing anything illegal.
I dont work for RIIA, or anyone else for that matter. I am self employed as a Finish/trim Carpenter.
I dont assume anything, I was simply trying to point out that it would be another crime to "give away" copyrighted material via USPS.
Admittedly , I did not say anything about copyrighted materail I was thinking that that was a given.
Perhaps he MIGHT be offering "free" music perhaps not, I might lose the bet, but I bet you Breakfast that is not the case.
As far as what I "need" to do, how dare you tell a 50 year old man what he needs to do. Who do you think you are anyway kid?

Just put your own CDs on it. I think 99 cents per song is great - the alternative used to be spending 15-20 bucks on an entire CD, for one song - unless the artist was really good.
I do that if I want more than one song off of the CD. But to buy a CD for say $9.99 to $14.99 for one song is not really economical either.

what's all this ipod, napster, download, and cd stuff y'all are talking about? I just recently found this switch labeled "FM" on my truck radio ... all the songs you could ever want, all for free... :rofl:

yeah ... and it's sort of like my old vinyl, too ... stuck on one track ... same songs, morning, noon and night ... over and over and over and over and ...

http://www.pandora.com
Ad free, customized radio stations (up to 10 per username) and I've never, ever gotten spammed by them. You train the station as to what you like/don't like, by artist, style or genre. And, if you want, I suppose you could stream them to a hard disk and thence onward to an MP3 device, not that I'd know anything about hot to go about it.

Ah, ah, ah, council, the RIAA has occasionally claimed that even doing ripping of CDs you own is "illegal." They pretend there is no concept of fair use.

BTW, there's no "illegal" to copyright violation. It's a civil issue, not criminal.

As long as the recording industry decided that suing thier customers was a good business model, I stopped being a customer. Not that I'm the market they want, but I haven't bought a single CD or song in over 5 years.

As far as what I "need" to do, how dare you tell a 50 year old man what he needs to do. Who do you think you are anyway kid?

I may not be 50 but at least I don't walk around calling people criminals without any proof of such. I don't really feel like getting into an argument over this. If you feel the need to discuss this further you are welcome to utilize the private message feature of the forum.

For all you old deadheads, Allman Brothers fans, and anyone that likes live music, there's a free, legal site called Furthur.net (yes, that's the right spelling). Tons of shows recorded right off the sound board in many cases. The bands on this site have always encouraged taping at their shows and have no problem with P2P sharing.

For all you techno-phobes like me, most of the shows are a .SHN file and and you have to download a free program to burn them on CD. It can't be too hard if I manage to do it.

If nothing else, check it out and explore some cool bands you probably never heard of.

Also, at Setlist.com, you can search for shows and songs and artists.

Mike

I may not be 50 but at least I don't walk around calling people criminals without any proof of such. I don't really feel like getting into an argument over this. If you feel the need to discuss this further you are welcome to utilize the private message feature of the forum.
No, I am not gonna PM you, you have challenged me in public, so I will respond in public.
I challenge you to show where I called anyone a criminal.
I was simply pointing out it is a crime to use the mail to send anyone copyrighted material. (again, admittedly, I did not use the term "copyrighted material") however ,you and anyone else reading the thread knows that is what is being discussed. Logic and common sense would tell you that.
Tell you what, lets agree to ignore each other. To be honest , I cant stand your arrogance.

I was simply pointing out it is a crime to use the mail to send anyone copyrighted material.

Can you cite that statute? I never heard of any such thing, and do see it as possible since most everything that goes through the mail is copyrighted. So, when my mom cuts out and sends me a magazine or newspaper clipping, she is in violation of what statute?

Can you cite that statute? I never heard of any such thing, and do see it as possible since most everything that goes through the mail is copyrighted. So, when my mom cuts out and sends me a magazine or newspaper clipping, she is in violation of what statute?

come on Henning, give me a break, you know exactly what I meant.

come on Henning, give me a break, you know exactly what I meant.

No, seriously I don't. Copyrighted material is what you refered to, so I took you at your word. That's why I'm asking for a cite of the statute so I can figure out what you're talking about. I've been involved with copyrighted material (photographs) of my own since I was 15 and am quite familiar with most of it, but I'm unaware of Postal restrictions. Actually, I still have copies of my stuff in sealed postmarked envelopes establishing copyright.

No, seriously I don't. Copyrighted material is what you refered to, so I took you at your word. That's why I'm asking for a cite of the statute so I can figure out what you're talking about. I've been involved with copyrighted material (photographs) of my own since I was 15 and am quite familiar with most of it, but I'm unaware of Postal restrictions. Actually, I still have copies of my stuff in sealed postmarked envelopes establishing copyright.

okay, I have no statute to cite, What I should have said is if you
use the USPS to further a crime, you have committed another crime.
Now that it has been pointed out copyright violation is a civil matter, my point is moot.
I am not a barrister, and did not stay at the well known Inn ,so in reality, I dont know what I am talking about.

I'll be 10-8 if ya'll want to beat up on me some more.

Last edited:
okay, I have no statute to cite, What I should have said is if you
use the USPS to further a crime, you have committed another crime.
Now that it has been pointed out copyright violation is a civil matter, my point is moot.
I am not a barrister, and did not stay at the well known Inn ,so in reality, I dont know what I am talking about.

I'll be 10-18 if ya'll want to beat up on me some more.

There is nothing "criminal" about copying and disseminating copyrighted material that is not in and of itself criminal. It is a civil violation, not criminal, therefore not subject to your claim.

I dont know what I am talking about.

\.

There is nothing "criminal" about copying and disseminating copyrighted material that is not in and of itself criminal. It is a civil violation, not criminal, therefore not subject to your claim.
I was attempting to withdraw my claim....

No, I am not gonna PM you, you have challenged me in public, so I will respond in public.
(snip)
To be honest , I cant stand your arrogance.

Holy overreaction Skip. Jesse pointed out that it wasn't necessarily illegal, and you go off the deep end and start calling him "kid," thereby demonstrating your own level of... wait for it... arrogance. IMHO, an apology is in order.

Isn't the entire basis of civil suits by RIIA based on defrauding the artists of their right to collect royalties and defendant's attempt to bypass payment of said royalties?

940 18 U.S.C. Section 1341 -- Elements of Mail Fraud

"There are two elements in mail fraud: (1) having devised or intending to devise a scheme to defraud (or to perform specified fraudulent acts), and (2) use of the mail for the purpose of executing, or attempting to execute, the scheme (or specified fraudulent acts)." Schmuck v. United States, 489 U.S. 705, 721 n. 10 (1989); see also Pereira v. United States, 347 U.S. 1, 8 (1954) ("The elements of the offense of mail fraud under . . . § 1341 are (1) a scheme to defraud, and (2) the mailing of a letter, etc., for the purpose of executing the scheme."); Laura A. Eilers & Harvey B. Silikovitz, Mail and Wire Fraud, 31 Am. Crim. L. Rev. 703, 704 (1994) (cases cited).

The RIAA is too sissy to follow through with anyone who doesn't give up anymore.

Download away....show the RIAA that being a Nazi doesn't work.

I was attempting to withdraw my claim....

Best way to do it. Get angry, call out someone more intelligent than you who happens to be 1/2 your age, and then back out realizing you're wrong, without apologizing.

By my count, this is twice you'll pulled something similar. Good on ya!

Back