I'm in love, this time, I think I'm really in love

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
This may disappoint some of you, and delight yet others... but I think I'm going to have to defect. I had a wonderful experience tonight. Not sure if I'm going back.

Yes, it's true. I flew a Diamond Eclipse and I'm now a low wing convert. My God what a sweet and beautiful plane. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and I will have come to my senses and be ready to go back to the practical side, but for now... sigh. what fun.

13yf11i.jpg

13yf19g.jpg

13yf1fs.jpg

I seriously looked at DA40's last year at Copperstate. Great looking planes (never flown one) but I couldn't help but look at that big bubble canopy and wonder about what happens on 115F days here in Phoenix.

thanks Brooke, I did!

Brian, I thought of that too... it was a beeeeeeee-you-tiful night so it was perfect... not sure what an extra 20 degrees would do...

you should send the "close up" picture into diamond and see if they will use it in a magazine or something....bc you look like a model there.

The smile in pic 2 speaks volumes.

One of the FBO's at KEMT has one on line. On my list of things to do soon.

Good for you!

Joe

Told you the DA-20 would make you want to give up Cessna. :) Looks like you had an amazing time.

Areeda said:
The smile in pic 2 speaks volumes.

One of the FBO's at KEMT has one on line. On my list of things to do soon.

Good for you!

Joe

I was seriously surprised at how nice it was. The extra speed and the bubble canopy just sealed the deal for me. Even with the CFI in there, the plane wanted to jump off the runway. I love it. Can't wait to get back in one.

Cool, Elizabeth. I really enjoyed the few times I flew a DA-20 -- I thought it was a fun, very responsive airplane.

They are VERY nice flying airplanes. Once you go low wing fuggedaboutit. Enjoy Elizabeth!

RotaryWingBob said:
Actually, Anthony, high wings are best :D

... but only if they rotate... :yes:

:heli:

Sometimes does the fuselage rotate and the rotors stay still? :D

Ahhhhh my ears my ears! Repent to the High Wing Gods :)

I tell ya, even as a high winger here (I would own one shhhhh)

Great pics!

They are fun fun airplanes, For a similar fun experience in a high wing, try a symphony.

Warning about both airplanes - they can be less fun in turbulence due to the light weight that makes them so sweet the rest of the time.

Anthony said:
Sometimes does the fuselage rotate and the rotors stay still? :D
I dunno, Anthony :dunno:

Maybe in a low rpm rotor stall you might be able to get the rotor system to stop. But probably not before you made a big hole in the ground :hairraise:

CapeCodJay said:
Whats the Glide Path like on one of those :)
They glide beautifully. So well that if you enter the pattern at cruise speed, you'll have to extend your downwind into East Jibip somewhere in order to get the airplane slowed down enough to land it. ;)

RotaryWingBob said:
They glide beautifully. So well that if you enter the pattern at cruise speed, you'll have to extend your downwind into East Jibip somewhere in order to get the airplane slowed down enough to land it. ;)

you have to be 60 on final.... and keep slowing it down.

Very cool. Looks like a nice plane and you seem to be enjoying yourself just a little. Wish I could say the same. Lots of mountain turbulance today and bad WX ahead. Had to divert because of headwinds keeping us slow. Now I am at KSHD looking to see if I can head further north and maybe make Fort Wayne this evening where I have a relative that I could impose upon.

Brian Austin said:
I seriously looked at DA40's last year at Copperstate. Great looking planes (never flown one) but I couldn't help but look at that big bubble canopy and wonder about what happens on 115F days here in Phoenix.

I think you can look at the POH on line. No flying if the button between the seats says its too hot. As I recall, the structural temp limit is 55C/131F. Ah, you say, it's only 110 here....but sitting in the sun it's much warmer.

Plus, sitting under that canopy....in the sun....it gets toasty.

Still, a great VFR plane. I loved my 40 or so hours in the C1. The 4 in the A1 (rotax engine) were not so good.

Congrats E. You truly look like you had the time of your life. Now get serious and finish the license, rookie! :D ;) :yes:

F.W. Birdman said:
Oh no...we have agreed twice in 24 hours! The apocalypse must be upon us....:D :D :D

Shh... you don't want them to know you've brainwashed me, do you?

wesleyj said:
AH! another highwinger comes to recognise the error of their ways and comes into the light

It could be the overpowering aroma of all that epoxy. :dunno:

That little teeny section of fuselage going back to the tail kinda creeps me out. Other than that it looks like fun.

William and F.W.

Its the magic of PaO - it brings people together :)

ok ok! I'm going flying again this morning. the Diamond is taken though, so it will be another Cessna.

I had to take up the helicopter because they got rid of all of the good airplanes at out airport and got the DAs, I cant close the canopy and set in a DA at the same time, They are getting a lot of resistance because of the awkward entry and the stick mounted where it is.

wesleyj said:
I had to take up the helicopter because they got rid of all of the good airplanes at out airport and got the DAs, I cant close the canopy and set in a DA at the same time, They are getting a lot of resistance because of the awkward entry and the stick mounted where it is.

It's no worse than getting into a Lotus Elan or Europa. You step on the step, the wing, put your foot on the seat and slide in.

The right side canopy latch is only an arms length away.

The resistance comes from people who don't have anything left to complain about. Like I said, it's a great VFR, maybe light IFR, airplane. And those folks who complain about the stick...let them fly a 747 instead of a P-51.:D

The stick doesnt bother me, when i get in even without a headset, i cant close the canopy, not without risking injury to the head and neck.

I watched the other day, while 2 women passengers in dresses, apparently they were going to dinner somewhere, tried to get into one of them, after a few attempts they told the pilot and i assume the husband of one of the women that when he gets a real airplane that they will fly with him again, not until.

it is a great airplane, but it is not female passenger friendly and is not geared for the tall pilot.

wesleyj said:
Diamonds are nice, but not as nice as helicopters :yes:

Do good on your RH checkride!

:heli:

wesleyj said:
The stick doesnt bother me, when i get in even without a headset, i cant close the canopy, not without risking injury to the head and neck.

I watched the other day, while 2 women passengers in dresses, apparently they were going to dinner somewhere, tried to get into one of them, after a few attempts they told the pilot and i assume the husband of one of the women that when he gets a real airplane that they will fly with him again, not until.

it is a great airplane, but it is not female passenger friendly and is not geared for the tall pilot.

you mean female passengers with dresses and heels! I got in just fine.

had a great morning flying. fun fun!

I am surprised no one commented on the title to this thread... doesn't it make ANYONE here hum??

woodstock said:
you mean female passengers with dresses and heels! I got in just fine.

had a great morning flying. fun fun!

I am surprised no one commented on the title to this thread... doesn't it make ANYONE here hum??

I always tell my female passengers to wear pants when flying in GA aircraft - regardless of the airplane. There's generally a high risk of "exposure", whether it's the airplane or the wind.

One poor lady in Frederick would have ended up in the next Victoria Secret's catalog a few months ago if anyone had a camera.

PS - I Hum, but I try to do it in private and wash my hands afterwards.

Back