I'm coming to LA

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
It looks like I'll be in LA from March 1st through the 12th or so. Anyone want to go flying? And anyone know where I might be able to rent a plane to fly up to San Francisco? I'll probably want to go visit my dad if he's available.

there's a flight school on the SW corner of Van Nuys VNY. they rent cessnas and seminoles. i think they're called america air or soemthing liek that.

Ted,

I'll be around for most of that time. Where are you staying?

Joe

edit: That's assuming by LA you mean Los Angeles not Lower Alabama or Louisiana.

Joe,

I'll be in the Fullerton area. Where are you located? And yes, I mean Los Angeles. :)

-Ted

Joe,

I'll be in the Fullerton area. Where are you located? And yes, I mean Los Angeles. :)

-Ted
Ted, I do most of my flying out of El Monte which is about 13 nm NNW of the Fullerton airport.

Let me know when you have time, and we'll go flight-seeing

Joe

Excellent! I should be free pretty much anytime while there. Any suggestions for where I could get something with wings for a bit of traveling (probably San Francisco) while there?

there is a DA40, maybe 2 at LA Flight Center http://laflightcenter.com, give them a call and talk to Jessica to see about checkout and taking a plane for a few days.

Although once you meet her you probably won't want to fly with me.

If you want a twin, Universal Air Academy at El Monte has 2 seminoles on line.

Joe

Good idea, Tony, I could just buy a 421 out there and fly it home. I can probably put it on my American Express card...

Joe, I'll look into it. Problem is I don't have time in a Diamond or Seminole, and I'd not want to spend a lot of time on a check-out. We'll see what I can find. Would definitely like to go flying with you either way.

Joe, I'll look into it. Problem is I don't have time in a Diamond or Seminole, and I'd not want to spend a lot of time on a check-out. We'll see what I can find. Would definitely like to go flying with you either way.
How about 182RG? The one at LAFC is on leaseback from a friend of mine. It's in very good shape, has 530W(current Database, 430 (no W not current db), gtx330 with good coverage in LA and SF but lots of dead space in between (traffic concerns are highest where coverage is good).

There's a much better choice and higher prices at Justice Aviation in SMO
http://www.justiceaviation.com/ouraircraft.php

and Van Nuys Flight Center has some very nice Cessnas
http://www.vnfc.com/rentals.cfm

Those are a good drive from Fullerton area but we can go check them out on our flight if you like.

Joe

I've got about 0.5 hours of 1282RG time with Tony, so depending on what their requirements for checkout would be, that might be an option. Basically I want to spend 1 hour or less on checkout since I'm only looking at using whatever I'd be renting for a very small period of time. Low price is, of course, important... I don't need or care about fancy features for something that's just taking me to San Francisco and back.

Twins would be nice and I'd pay extra to rent one, but since I have 0 time in Seminoles, there would probably be a more extensive checkout than is worth it for me, unless they'd take my 370 hours of Aztec time.

It should be noted that I've never rented a plane before, so I really don't know how these procedures go.

Ted,

May I suggest you give Jessica at LAFC a call (626) 579-5232 and discuss experience and checkout requirements for the 182RG.

The other two places will have 172s and straight leg 182s.

Checkouts around here are usually a review of your logbook, a checkout form that you sit down with a POH and answer performance and procedure questions. Then about an hour flight to show you can handle the plane and land it.

It might also be worth a look at your Aztec insurance policy to verify it covers you in rental airplanes. That will bypass any discussion of FBO insurance policies.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it and give her a call.

Either way, let's see if we can't find a time to go flying. It would be great to get to meet you!

I'm looking forward to it. If you have time, we'd like to invite you over for dinner.

Joe

You should check out www.flyafi.com or I rent from http://www.sunriseaviation.com at SNA.

greg
I've flown with surnise and I've heard of but not flown with AFI. They both have good reputations.

I would also think about Mike Brannigan (schmookeeg) over at Corona, that's not too far.

We have plenty of airports and lots of airplanes near where you're going to be.

Joe

I'm looking forward to it. If you have time, we'd like to invite you over for dinner.

Joe

I certainly will graciously take you up on your offer, and should have time pretty much anytime while I'm there!

Shame you won't be there in April, that's when I am going out there. I hope your new "status" doesn't net you a lot of trouble getting on the commercial flights. Weren't you just out that way for the puppy rescue?

Shame you won't be there in April, that's when I am going out there. I hope your new "status" doesn't net you a lot of trouble getting on the commercial flights. Weren't you just out that way for the puppy rescue?

I've been wondering about that, Bryon. We'll see how much fun it is getting on the flight on Monday. Doubly so since I'm bringing some pilot gear with me. I'll allow extra time.

I've been wondering about that, Bryon. We'll see how much fun it is getting on the flight on Monday. Doubly so since I'm bringing some pilot gear with me. I'll allow extra time.
Well, if you want to breeze through security, make sure you pay for only a one way ticket in cash, and have someone call to report you first.

Well, if you want to breeze through security, make sure you pay for only a one way ticket in cash, and have someone call to report you first.
Awhile back I bought a one way ticket last minute and checked in a handgun. I was expecting to get some crap - but breezed right through security.

Awhile back I bought a one way ticket last minute and checked in a handgun. I was expecting to get some crap - but breezed right through security.

You don't save puppies, Jesse. Start saving puppies and then watch what happens.

Our E33 Debonair would smoke those Seminoles, we'd love to have you :D

Never flown one (or any Beech singles), but it has wings, right? ;)

What are the checkout requirements?

Never flown one (or any Beech singles), but it has wings, right? ;)

What are the checkout requirements?

Basic proficiency only -- with only an hour, it will be a workout, but if you adapt to the plane quickly, it can be done. The thing lands itself -- it will just be a matter of drilling the emergency procedures and getting you familiar with where everything is located.

I'm guessing airspeed control won't be an issue, transitioning from an Aztec. That's really the part that trips up most of our transitions in the E33, it really likes its airspeeds nailed.

I think the plane won't be available until the last half of your stay, though. Feel free to either drop me a line at mike@flycorona.com, or ring the office 951-272-3942 anytime and we can get you going.

If you call the office, let them know I sent ya over :D

Cheers,

- Mike

Basic proficiency only -- with only an hour, it will be a workout, but if you adapt to the plane quickly, it can be done. The thing lands itself -- it will just be a matter of drilling the emergency procedures and getting you familiar with where everything is located.

I'm guessing airspeed control won't be an issue, transitioning from an Aztec. That's really the part that trips up most of our transitions in the E33, it really likes its airspeeds nailed.

I think the plane won't be available until the last half of your stay, though. Feel free to either drop me a line at mike@flycorona.com, or ring the office 951-272-3942 anytime and we can get you going.

If you call the office, let them know I sent ya over :D

Cheers,

- Mike
Sounds like a reasonable setup. Would you mind relocating to Nebraska? I'd appreciate it. I wish I could find a Bo for rent...

Sending you an eMail, Mike.

Ted, El Monte's runway will be closed this Monday thru Friday and a co-owner (I'm learning Wayne) has it on Saturday. How about we fly Sunday 3/7?

Joe

Let's pencil that in - it will depend in part on what I end up doing that weekend, I may go up to San Francisco to visit my dad.

Whew, actually in LA now.

Joe, I'll send you a PM on scheduling.

On Sunday I got the pleasure of meeting Joe and getting to fly with him around the LA area in his Cirrus. A wonderful pilot and host, I was glad to get to meet Joe and fly with him. Unfortunately we didn't end up getting to do the checkout in the 182RG that I was going to fly while here, it just didn't seem to be a great idea heading up there with winds and turbulence being what they are, especially in an unfamiliar area in an unfamiliar plane and with some interesting mountains and coming back home at night, plus freezing levels being pretty low and concerns of occasionsal clouds with icing airmets skirting the edge. Yeah, that's a no-go, I'll just book a Southwest flight.

Thanks again, Joe!

On Sunday I got the pleasure of meeting Joe and getting to fly with him around the LA area in his Cirrus. A wonderful pilot and host, I was glad to get to meet Joe and fly with him. Unfortunately we didn't end up getting to do the checkout in the 182RG that I was going to fly while here, it just didn't seem to be a great idea heading up there with winds and turbulence being what they are, especially in an unfamiliar area in an unfamiliar plane and with some interesting mountains and coming back home at night, plus freezing levels being pretty low and concerns of occasionsal clouds with icing airmets skirting the edge. Yeah, that's a no-go, I'll just book a Southwest flight.

Thanks again, Joe!

Good decision making. I don't like ice, either.

Good decision making. I don't like ice, either.

I don't mind a little ice in a plane that's designed to handle it. But an unfamiliar plane that's not designed to handle ice over some mountains at night (in an unfamiliar area) with the potential for ice in clouds? Yeah, that's too many things for me to want to deal with.

Besides, the Southwest flights were actually pretty nice!

what,.. no pics of your flight with Joe?

It was primarily comprised of me looking like an idiot trying to figure out what everything on the shiny display did. :)

Back