"im afraid of those little planes"

NotSure

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Not Sure
Hello everyone, first time posting although longtime lurking.

Anyway, i got my license about a year and a half ago, and silly me, i expected people would WANT to fly with me. Although a few family and friends have gone up with me, almost everyone ive asked has given me some variation of "little planes are deathtraps". Has anyone had success fighting this? Any tips? Women seem to be particularly prone to this fear. Most guys can at least be "shamed" into going up once you question their masculinity a few times (although usually i just let them off the hook). Ive tried the "its no more dangerous than a motorcycle", but to no avail. I have a several nieces and nephews, and their parents have made it clear that they dont want me offering rides to the kids.

I guess im just annoyed with the level of ignorance and fear that aviation seems to receive from the ground dwellers.

So, is there a way around this?

Ask them how many people they know that have been in a car accident. Then ask them how many people they know that have been in a plane accident.

Irrational fears sometimes require irrational arguments.

Offer rides to the kids anyway, and let them hammer away at the parents to go. Get the kids talking about it non-stop. Let them work for you. :D

Ill try that, the parents already hate me for giving the kids soccer horns, so i guess nothing will really change :)

Anyway, i got my license about a year and a half ago, and silly me, i expected people would WANT to fly with me. Although a few family and friends have gone up with me, almost everyone ive asked has given me some variation of "little planes are deathtraps". Has anyone had success fighting this? Any tips? Women seem to be particularly prone to this fear. Most guys can at least be "shamed" into going up once you question their masculinity a few times (although usually i just let them off the hook). Ive tried the "its no more dangerous than a motorcycle", but to no avail. I have a several nieces and nephews, and their parents have made it clear that they dont want me offering rides to the kids.

First: Don't say "It's no more dangerous than a motorcycle." People perceive motorcycles to be dangerous as well.

Second: Focus on the positives. Tell those parents what great values aviation can instill in their kids and how they'll be inspired to pay attention in school, not do drugs or drive drunk, etc. I'm sure EAA's Young Eagles program could help with this sort of information.

Third: Educate. Whether the parents, or just adults you want to take up - Ignorance is the source of their fear. All they ever hear about small airplanes is what they read in the newspaper, and none of that's good. :no:

Tell them about how 85% of accidents are due to pilot error, and how you train to avoid those accidents and read accident reports to learn from the mistakes of others. (You do, don't you?) Show them the airplane on the ground, show them what a preflight inspection is. Maybe have them watch you fly around the pattern. Tell them about the great adventure you had last weekend, or that neat little $100 burger joint you'd like to take them to for dinner. Show them the latest awesome pictures you got.

Once they hear about the fun you're having, they'll get curious. Once they know that you have gone flying every weekend this month and have come back unscathed every time, they'll realize that you can fly.

THEN, offer to take them for a flight. Give them some control: Tell them that as soon as they decide they don't like it that you'll happily bring them right back to the airport. Go through the preflight with them, tell them what you're checking and why. Give them a thorough briefing - That will breed confidence.

Be very careful what you say and how you say it before and during the flight, though - One of the VERY few people I never got to go up in an airplane with me had been offered a ride by his brother, who jokingly said something like "Well, the wings probably won't fall off." That's a guy who will stay on the ground for life, not something we want! :no: Also, don't say things like "oh crap" when you do something simple that's wrong (say, you hit the wrong button on the audio panel or something). That'll lead to panic, at least temporarily.

As you taxi out and do your runup, explain what you're doing and why. Sitting at the hold short line, remind them they're in control by asking if they are ready to go.

On the flight - Do not do any sudden maneuvers. Explain what's happening and why. No stalls, no steep turns - You may even have to explain why you bank to turn an airplane if they haven't been on an airline flight before. Keep everything nice and gentle. Going along with that, be sure to fly when there's likely to be as little turbulence as possible. Winter days without high wind, the rest of the year either early morning or around sunset. (Sunset flights are a good thing to try, too).

Finally - KISS. Keep It Short, Stupid! Take off, show them the sights locally, fly over their house and/or their office, and land. That's it, unless they ask for more. The trick is to keep them interested and not allow them to get bored, because if they start getting the slightest bit bored, they'll start thinking about being scared. So, get them on the ground before they even think about being scared, and you will have completed a very successful first flight! :yes:

For example, here in Madison, I ask Clearance for a "city tour", take off on 21 (pointed basically downtown) or 32 (left turn to downtown, keeps them on the "up" side of the plane for the first turn), fly around the capitol, Camp Randall Stadium and the campus, their house or office, and then come back in to land.

I've given a lot of first flights, in many cases it was the person's first time off the ground in any aircraft. The above is how I do it, and it works really well.

It's extremely rewarding, too. I had a guy who was "deathly afraid" of airplanes, had never been on one - Took him to the airport, surreptitiously preflighted under the guise of showing him the parts of the airplane, got in, showed him all the stuff inside and how it worked. Then I just said, "OK, wanna go for a ride?" He said "Well, I reckon!" and off we went. A half hour later we were back at the hangar and he was calling every one of his kids to tell them "Daddy flew on an airplane!" Man, that never gets old! I had another guy do the same thing (calling all the kids), but he wasn't as deathly afraid. Then there was the woman who liked it so much she kept asking to go look at something else, that one ended up being well over an hour long (as opposed to the usual half hour on the Hobbs).

Also, if you get one person from a group to go up, and they have a good time, your chances of getting other people from that group to go up increase significantly.

Hope this helps, and welcome to PoA! :yes:

Part of it is media driven, hyped up fear due to sensationalism and the drive to get viewers, ratings and ultimately advertising revenue. Part of it is the feminization of our society which puts PERCEIVED safety above all else including quality of life.

If someone shows an interest in my airplane or flying I'll offer a ride. However, getting dirty looks and verbal insults from wives and parents at social events has pretty much cured me of bringing it up anymore.

Anyway, i got my license about a year and a half ago, and silly me, i expected people would WANT to fly with me. Although a few family and friends have gone up with me, almost everyone ive asked has given me some variation of "little planes are deathtraps". Has anyone had success fighting this? Any tips?

Why try? If people don't want to go flying then don't even try to persuade them. Go flying and enjoy the time fulfilling your passions.

Seems every new pilots (including me) wants to take everyone they know up and show them "the thrills of flying" that you just discovered. Forget it! If anyone has a passion to go flying they will ask.

Last edited:
If someone shows an interest in my airplane or flying I'll offer a ride. However, getting dirty looks and verbal insults from wives and parents at social events has pretty much cured me of bringing it up anymore.

+1. Don't even bring it up.

Last edited:

Time... perseverance.. and opportunity.

Fly off to family events.. leave after other family members start driving (to grandma's, the reunion, etc).. and then arrive before them..

Take a friend of theirs up for sightseeing or a $100 hamburger.

Make yourself available for opportunities...

Make sure they see you also deciding when NOT to fly.. bad weather days, forecast bad weather over the course of a trip..

I have an aunt and a cousin who's terrified of small planes.. think the worst. Took uncle for a flight from Charleston to Savannah... got read the riot act for getting back after dark and Aunt didn't understand that we could turn the lights on from the air at podunk muni..

The cousin's husband, he had a mission in mind.. Wanted to snap pictures of some golf courses and soon to be developed land. Took him up for his photo mission and spent maybe 1.5-2.0 hrs in the air. Nothing crazy. Straight, level, trimmed hands off. The closest I got to "fancy flying" was a forward slip to move the high wing strut out of the way of a photo, rather than wait a few more minutes. I offered. We tried it. He didn't like that much, so I resumed straight and level and that was it.

You have to accept that not everyone may share your enthusiasm for flying. You also have to accept that sometimes it may not be the plane, but YOU that they dont trust, but use "small planes" as an excuse not to go. Your recourse in that situation is to examine other aspects of your life.. do you speed, have elements of road rage, use power tools without safety gear, ride motorcycles without a helmet, ANYTHING at all that folks might consider haphazard or reckless?

Offer loved ones the opportunity to take a pinch hitter course, so they don't feel helpless. Make airplane friends - married couples who fly.. and go out to dinner with them. Let the wives mingle and do their own thing. You might be surprised.

And in the vast majority of the examples above, you aren't the one bringing up the idea of going for a flight.. others are.. (as has already been recommended)

Join the EAA and fly at local Young Eagles events. You get to share your passion and have fun doing it. If family and friends want to join you there, they'll get to see airplane operations in an organized social setting. Let them decide to go with you. Leave it open when.
There are some people who believe the nonsense they see in the media. Some will eventually realize it's just that.
I've been flying 20 years. There's just some people who will never go with you. Don't even bother to try. It's not you so don't take it personally.

My Bride brings up our flying adventures when we are out, I rather not for the one reason of having to listen to people who know zip but tell you everything that's wrong with "small planes". If they do continue to borea$$ me I'll just end it by asking them where they would normally vacation then let them know while they drive eight hours to Nags Head, NC I'll be there in two. Oh and by the way....I'll have a cold drink waiting for them by the hot tub. It results in that temporary brain fart blank stare look......then I excuse myself and go refill my glass. They some how seem to find me or my wife and start to ask more questions.

Last edited:
A cuople of years ago one of the kids at churh expressed interest in flying. I said, "I can take you up this afternoon if you'd like -- it should be a nice day. You'll have to ask your parents, though."

We walked over to Mom. As soon as he said "Airplane" she nearly shrieked "Absolutely not!!"

And that was it.

I'm surprised at the rude, unthinking reaction by some folks. The implication is that we pilots are suicidal maniacs trying to drag everybody along with us.

Anyway, he later learned to shoot rifles, handguns and arrows at our house. But that was OK.

It is interesting how people perceive the issue. There are some good reasons for them to be concerned though.

1) Flying is more dangerous than driving.
2) You are an inexperienced pilot.
3) You probably fly in an older aircraft than the car you drive.

The way to counter all of this is to gain experience and skill by flying and learning as much as possible about flying skillfully while you continue to talk about flying and how much you are learning. Remember, as mentioned above, to always be positive about flying, but also make it clear that you will only take people flying if they ask you for a ride so that people don't feel you are pressuring them.

As an example, awhile back a co-worker said to me in the office kitchen that he had heard I fly an airplane. I agreed that I do. "Really, I'd be afraid to go in a plane," he continued. I told him that I fly to go visit my grandchildren and left it at that. Later, he asked about what is done to keep a license. That is when I told him that I take training all the time, that I am required to either get an upgraded license or take another flight test and get additional training every two years. I went on to explain that I pass a medical every two years, but that is nothing to the annual tear-down "physical" that my plane undergoes every year. I let that go again. Last week he asked if I take anyone other than family for rides. That is when I told him that my rule is to only take people who ask for a ride, but that I always want to do that when I have the time and the weather is right. So he asked me.

First: Don't say "It's no more dangerous than a motorcycle." People perceive motorcycles to be dangerous as well.

I know its trying to lobby a positive with a negative but it is a good analogy to explain the risks and we have some obligation to inform our passengers, especially those who we cajole into a ride.

I know the statisticians will come off lurking in droves -- but to offer that flight in a light airplane is about like riding on a motorcyle is an accurate context.

I then followup with "now today, the weather is very nice (it is always nice if your are giving rides" and "the airplane is fully fueled" so we have already eliminated our two biggest risks.

I really really enjoy giving rides, one motivation towards that CFI certificate is so I can take the process further. But I do always pause when someone starts to ask "what if..."

Todd

It is interesting how people perceive the issue. There are some good reasons for them to be concerned though.

The way to counter all of this is to gain experience and skill by flying and learning as much as possible about flying skillfully while you continue to talk about flying and how much you are learning. Remember, as mentioned above, to always be positive about flying, but also make it clear that you will only take people flying if they ask you for a ride so that people don't feel you are pressuring them.

As an example, awhile back a co-worker said to me in the office kitchen that he had heard I fly an airplane. I agreed that I do. "Really, I'd be afraid to go in a plane," he continued. I told him that I fly to go visit my grandchildren and left it at that. Later, he asked about what is done to keep a license. That is when I told him that I take training all the time, that I am required to either get an upgraded license or take another flight test and get additional training every two years. I went on to explain that I pass a medical every two years, but that is nothing to the annual tear-down "physical" that my plane undergoes every year. I let that go again. Last week he asked if I take anyone other than family for rides. That is when I told him that my rule is to only take people who ask for a ride, but that I always want to do that when I have the time and the weather is right. So he asked me.

Well played, Peggy! Kent's list of first flight tips was great, too... little things like not verbally chastising yourself with 'oh crap' remarks. I always remind folks that any tones or beeps my airplane makes are informational, not warning alarms. Figured that one out after somebody left the marker beacon audio enabled on the audio panel. On departure, we flew over that inner marker, and I swear my passenger thought the plane was about to blow up. ;-) A check of audio levels on both coms and navs and a button state check on the audio panel is part of my post start while-the-engine-is-warming-up routine, now.

a post script (don't tell your passengers "you just drank a lot of cough syrup")

<and this story takes place in one of the CapCity Cherokee's no less!>

A friend of mine was particpating in the Birkie cross country ski race. He talked some friends into how glamerous it is to fly up and would up with more friends that seats. So I wound up flying wingman in a second PA28 to bring two more folks with me.

We get to the airport around 4:30- (remember flying is Glamorous) and these two dear folks who don't know me from Adam are trying to assess my mettle as I gimp around the airplane and try to look like a professional pilot in a touk.

[now for this to make sense you have to know that I have a buddy who was fixated on a whole repertroire of Stripes, Fletch, and Blues Brothers quips - especially Stripes--- now remember the scene where Bill Murray is taking the rich old woman in his cab and says "I just wish I hadn't drank all that cough syrup"]

So these dear people, good sports, load their skis and climb in the back of the airplane and as we are getting ready the woman asks "you aren't too tired are you ... ahhh I mean do you want some coffee ... we have a thermos" and without thinking I go "no, I'm find, I just wish I hadn't drank all that cough syrup"

honestly I do always take care to make folks feel at ease, I really do.

These folks had never seen Stripes, or certainly didn't hang out with the nerds I did .... and were terrified.

Amazingly they flew back with me after the race and never mentioned it until some time later when we met up for drinks "you know Pat was really nervous about the cough syrup ..."

Note to self

Anyway, i got my license about a year and a half ago, and silly me, i expected people would WANT to fly with me. Although a few family and friends have gone up with me, almost everyone ive asked has given me some variation of "little planes are deathtraps". Has anyone had success fighting this? <snip>

I guess im just annoyed with the level of ignorance and fear that aviation seems to receive from the ground dwellers.

Knowledge. Explain that most crashes are pilot error - things like running out of gas, continuing into bad weather, etc. And, being of sound mind, you don't plan to do any of those things. I also explain that in a car (or motorcycle), you're far more dependant on the "other guy". There are plenty of situations where a bad move by the "other guy" endangers you. In flying, you've largely removed the other guy from the equation.

At that point, people will size you up and determine if they trust you and your skills as a pilot. They will make a decision based on that evaluation...

THEN, offer to take them for a flight. Give them some control: Tell them that as soon as they decide they don't like it that you'll happily bring them right back to the airport.

As you taxi out and do your runup, explain what you're doing and why. Sitting at the hold short line, remind them they're in control by asking if they are ready to go.

+1000

Great advice!

I know that my 9 year old daughter had one of her silent fears alleviated when we had to stop suddently on a cross country to go to the bathroom. I didn't realize that I turn into cranky-Dad as I am trying to shepard the bags and dogs and everything out on a trip (plane or car) and I made everything seem like such a production that she had no idea that if she wanted to pull over that it was even possible.

After we were able to find an airport quickly (they are everywhere) stop, go to the bathroom get a drink and get right back going (without all the "did you check the coffee pot?" cursing) some of her resistance to long trips in the Cessna melted.

Perhaps this is more parenting related than flying ....

Just enjoy flying. Those people that are curious and want to go for a ride will eventually ask. I would not cajole anyone. Its their loss not to experience one of the most incredible things we humans can do.

Kent's post above should be copyrighted, published to every new pilot.

And never EVER finish the flight by saying, "well, we cheated death again!"

If you do get them up with you, don't get a Cherokee really slow and say "I wonder what this does" then reach down and pull the lever all the way up then make some weird comment about how the back of the wing is bent while they're still vapor locking from the sudden added lift and pitching moment. :rofl:

+1. Don't even bring it up.

Seriously, drop the very casual passing comment that you fly and leave it at that. Mention you fly, then move onto the next subject. If they ask about it, just say something vague then move on. A routine ho hum everyone does it run of the mill type comment is what you're going for. Don't offer to take them up at all. Don't suggest or give the impression that they can come. The less you say, the more curious and interested they will be.

Last edited:
I pretty much stopped giving rides. A work colleague in here in NE asked for a ride, I gave her one along with her mother from Beatrice, over her farm, and back (she lives down south- for those in Lincoln wondering). before we took off, she had her husband come out with her young son so her son could see mommy flying. After the flight, her husband said, in all seriousness, if I had crashed, he was going to "sue my estate for all it had". I told him not to believe everything he reads in USA Today....pilots aren't all rich.

I expected this sort of comment out east...but not in NE...

Seriously, drop the very casual passing comment that you fly and leave it at that. Mention you fly, then move onto the next subject. If they ask about it, just say something vague then move on.
That's what I do. Actually I go further and don't even mention I'm I'm a pilot unless someone asks what I do. If they are curious they will ask. I don't think there's any point in trying to force interest on anyone.

That said, when I learned to fly I had the opposite reaction from relatives and friends than the OP. Lots of people wanted to go for a ride. My first passenger was my mom. Now that I look (a long ways) back on it I can't believe so many people were willing to go for a ride with a 20-year-old me. :eek:

There's no way around it... no use fighting it. Enjoy your passion, set a good example, safety-wise, and be generous with those who are interested. Keep offering; eventually someone will want to fly with you.
If people respond with ignorance, educate them as best you can, but know when to quit. Life is short- don't waste time arguing with brick walls.

Funny thing about women- all of the women I've asked to fly with me said "yes" without hesitation, whereas some of the guys were hesitant, or not interested at all (my "favorite" was a co-worker who refused because we would not be under ATC the whole time; he was appalled that "they just let you fly around" :rolleyes: ).

At least one of these ladies was very scared; she never flew with me, but I did get her into the front of a D-25 at Old Rhinebeck; she left claw-marks in my forearm during that flight, but she went anyway... that's real courage! But like my friend Faith, who I convinced to take a ride with a friend aboard a Breezy (her first ride in a light single, BTW)... they all were happy they took a chance, even if they probably thought "what am I doing here?" as they left the ground.

That's what makes it worth trying- seeing someone transformed from another ground-pounder into a member of that elite, happy group of people who know about the magic of flight. The blinders of media-driven myths come off, and they see the world anew. It's one of my favorite things about being an aviator.

Another thought, regarding motorcycles: I know a guy whose Dad was a Cold-War USAF fighter and test pilot... his father and mother both died in dad's light single (wx-related accident) when this guy was just a baby. There is sort of a taboo among the entire family, especially with him and his siblings, about GA flying because of this devastating loss. They all equate "those little planes" with a moment that tore their lives apart. It's soprt of a tradition in that family... they just don't fly in "those little planes".

But he's an avid motorcyclist- even rides in amateur races at the track.
He has declined my offers to come flying, but mostly because his siblings would "kill" him if they found out. He also has his own gut fear of joining his ill-fated parents; he knows it's illogical, but there you have it. We did discuss the relative merits of racing bikes vs. taking a hop in a light single on a fine day, but he just shrugged. Maybe eventually he'll cave, because at the same time, he's curious about his father's passion... maybe it's in the blood.

Many, many families have been devastated by car accidents, but how many of those survivors no longer drive? I know people who spent months in the hospital after being in wrecks, yet they still drive, because they "have to". It's easy to avoid flying, because it's not considered "necessary"... and that makes it easy, for them, to rationalize that GA is inherently unsafe.

Last edited:
Knowledge. Explain that most crashes are pilot error - things like running out of gas, continuing into bad weather, etc. And, being of sound mind, you don't plan to do any of those things.

Most of my friends are engineers -- so instead of trying to say "I'm not dumb enough to make mistakes", I tell them "and I am human just like everyone else, and expect I will make mistakes."

So then I explain the multiple layers of redundancy that is built into everything we do, and how I make a habit of avoiding shortcuts (such as skipping checklists). That way when I _do_ make an inevitable mistake, something in the procedure I use catches the error before it becomes the final link in the chain of errors leading to an accident.

When they show up to go flying they see that my preflight still takes 25-30 minutes, even after 250 hours of flying (I fly rentals, who knows what condition the plane is really in?). That seems to hammer the point home.

Chris

I used to ride Motorcycles. Whenever someone mentioned the risk , pointed out that Snow skiing and High school football have Higher death rates. Do these naysayers ski? Would they let their sons play highschool football? I have a habit of ignoring put-downs and dirty looks, letting them slide off like water off a duck. If you refuse to acknowledge a persons intentional slight or insult then you have effectively blunted thier attempt to put you down. You win. Example " Oh. I would NEVER flyin gone of those little Deathtraps. " Reply.." I feel the same way everytime i have to drive to the airport, I can't wait to get off the public roads and up where i am safer. By the way did you know tha FISHING is the most dangerous sport in america? good thing i do something less risky like flying. " Dave

My father flew (mil) and so did I. My mom was petrified of the things. She'd literally turn white (and that would be a good trick at that).

She came to the states in a ship. My dad came to the states in the wired shut bomb bay of a PBY.

Peggy, I've got to disagree with you on this one.

1) Flying is NOT more dangerous than driving. Most car accidents are attributed to the actions of someone else. When you fly you are primarily a victim of your OWN actions. Yes, aircraft / aircraft collisions occur, but at a far less percentage rate than with aircraft.

2) OK, sure, inexperienced pilots are, well, less experienced. But again, you're a victim of your own actions. Don't be flying someone into someplace new. Most people who take people up tend to fly around the patch. Airspace that they're pretty familiar with since they've probably trained in that area. Flying to Sedona with only 60 hours on a windy day isn't the wisest thing to do.

3) Age of the aircraft is irrelevant! Fact is, my 43 year old Cessna is in better shape than my 11 year old car! Does your car have to go through 14 man hours a year (minimum in the case of a 172) of inspection? Nope. Most people drive their cars "until the wheels fall off". Aircraft, on the other hand, have massive amounts of inspection and maintenance. Sure, there's bad A&Ps out there, but you are PIC, you are responsible! Don't go cheap, and don't let them, or you, bend the rules.

Give them some control: Tell them that as soon as they decide they don't like it that you'll happily bring them right back to the airport. Go through the preflight with them, tell them what you're checking and why. Give them a thorough briefing - That will breed confidence.

I've found that it helps to just chat about concerns and fears at but outside the airplane but prefer to avoid keeping up a conversation during a preflight inspection so I don't end up missing something due to distraction. In fact, if you explain what the preflight is about and state that you'd prefer that questions be held until after it's finished folks will likely be impressed with your "professionalism". That said, a thorough briefing and Q&A session before the flight can go a long ways towards setting the stage for a pleasant experience once the flight begins. Similarly IMO it's worth explaining what your pre-takeoff checks are about but probably best to do that just prior to rather than during the runnup itself.

Keep in mind that apprehensive first time passengers will be experiencing a combination of strong emotions centered primarily on curiosity and fear. If you keep their curiosity engaged you will likely reduce their fear significantly simply by providing an alternative.

Also, don't say things like "oh crap" when you do something simple that's wrong (say, you hit the wrong button on the audio panel or something). That'll lead to panic, at least temporarily.

I've struggled with that and have come to the conclusion that if like me it's in your nature to utter such exclamatories in response to some minor issue before your conscious mind has time to recognize the impact it might have on a tense newbie, your best bet is to explain to them before the flight that you might indeed do this and then when it happens immediately assure them there's nothing wrong and apologize for scaring them.

As you taxi out and do your runup, explain what you're doing and why.
As I said earlier, you might want to separate explanations from activities to eliminate the distraction. Your passenger probably won't be impressed if you run off the side of the taxiway while explaining how wings produce lift or jam on the brakes when you suddenly realize you were about to cross an active runway you were supposed to hold short of.
Sitting at the hold short line, remind them they're in control by asking if they are ready to go.
Excellent and important point. The whole idea of telling the passenger they can terminate the flight at various points can go a long way toward mitigating any internal terror, especially if they really believe it's true. Asking periodically whether or not to continue amplifies that sense of having at least some control. And I've found that for some, the lack of control is their biggest fear.

On the flight - Do not do any sudden maneuvers. Explain what's happening and why. No stalls, no steep turns - You may even have to explain why you bank to turn an airplane if they haven't been on an airline flight before. Keep everything nice and gentle.
Absolutely important. There's a strong temptation, (especially for relatively low time pilots) to want to "show their skill" by performing maneuvers that they had struggled to master and for all but the most daring and enthusiastic passengers this can only lead to one or more bad outcomes. The difficult skill you should strive to demonstrate is to fly as smoothly as possible making each change in bank or pitch so progressive that it's hard to say when you started to apply control pressure. And this can be more difficult than it sounds so it's worth practicing when you don't have nervous passengers along. It also makes a big difference if you can stay well ahead of the airplane, when you get rushed you are much more likely to make abrupt control inputs (and don't forget that the distraction provided by the passenger can contribute to you're getting behind the plane).

Finally - KISS. Keep It Short, Stupid! Take off, show them the sights locally, fly over their house and/or their office, and land. That's it, unless they ask for more. The trick is to keep them interested and not allow them to get bored, because if they start getting the slightest bit bored, they'll start thinking about being scared. So, get them on the ground before they even think about being scared, and you will have completed a very successful first flight! :yes:
Yup, that's consistent with my earlier statement about driving their focus to the curiosity venue and away from fear.

For example, here in Madison, I ask Clearance for a "city tour", take off on 21 (pointed basically downtown) or 32 (left turn to downtown, keeps them on the "up" side of the plane for the first turn), fly around the capitol, Camp Randall Stadium and the campus, their house or office, and then come back in to land.
I like your idea of keeping the passenger on the "high side" of turns, especially when near the ground. I once took a friend and his young (around 9 yo) son for a ride. The son was very enthusiastic until the first time I turned towards his side. Even a 15 degree bank in that direction terrified him and there was no talking him out of that fear so we made our way back to the airport with nothing but left turns. Prior to that it hadn't dawned on me that there was any difference in turning one way vs the other.

Peggy, I've got to disagree with you on this one.

There are a lot of different ways to present the statistics (per mile, per hour, per travel event) but its generally accepted that GA flying is about 5-7 times more dangerous than driving, and about 40x more dangerous than commercial air travel.

It simply is.

Because we are poor at estimating risks, it may be more satisfying to be airborne where there are no drunk drivers, or icy roads. It may be that the risks are more personally controllable in the airplane. We can also argue that our individual experience puts us above the statistics (the Lake Woebegon affect). But I know of the friends that I have lost to aviation accidents -- they were all more accomplished than I.

I liked Kent's post a lot. Maybe his and Peggy's deserve a sticky. I always turn to my passenger and say "Everything checks out -- do you have any questions?" before taking the runway to depart. His language of "letting the passenger have some control" is excellent. I've done one (successful) ride where we agreed that we were going to (a) sit in the plane and see how that went (b) taxi it around and see how that went (c) take one lap around the pattern and then they could decide about a ride. That assurance that there was no embarassement and no foul if we changed our minds was the key.

But I do feel that without whipping out this years Nall report -- we have to be very honest about the risks. Perhaps like Peggy I will say "I fly to visit relatives pretty frequently" to take the daredevil edge off of it. But I also never gloss over it.

Todd

Most of my friends are engineers -- so instead of trying to say "I'm not dumb enough to make mistakes", I tell them "and I am human just like everyone else, and expect I will make mistakes."

So then I explain the multiple layers of redundancy that is built into everything we do, and how I make a habit of avoiding shortcuts (such as skipping checklists). That way when I _do_ make an inevitable mistake, something in the procedure I use catches the error before it becomes the final link in the chain of errors leading to an accident.

When they show up to go flying they see that my preflight still takes 25-30 minutes, even after 250 hours of flying (I fly rentals, who knows what condition the plane is really in?). That seems to hammer the point home.

Chris

I'm an engineer too. Not surprisingly, I occasionally make mistakes too. However, the causal factors I listed above are about poor choices, which I would differentiate from mistakes. Avoid poor choices and you'll have a bigger margin for error when you eventually make a mistake.

Number one mistake- talking too much. Start blabbering about safer than, as safe as, etc and you sound like a bad used car salesman. Most folks aren't inclined, others have tucked their nuts in so far to fit in the modern world we've allowed to evolve that they don't realize they might enjoy something ever so slightly hazardous. Let em be, if someone asks take them. Otherwise it just wastes your energy and bothers the sheep.

I hand the check list to my new passenger and have them read off items as i ck them. I show them what we are looking for,& why. I am real proud of the condition & maintanince on our club planes. We continue this inside. Dave

Yup, I did that too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Madison1.jpg
    Madison1.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 154
I don't do any of that stuff. I try to focus the psychology on the TREAT that are gonig to see. That would be, our business district from the air, Eagle's nests along the river, their home ahead of the right wing, etc.

Yes, and the G vector remains pointed STRIAGHT down, +-.05 G please.

If they are psychologically opposed you won't win, no matter what you do.

As for risk, if these folks don't drive drunk, then going flying with you is likely to be the most dangerous thing in their lives by a good margin.

As for risk, if these folks don't drive drunk, then going flying with you is likely to be the most dangerous thing in their lives by a good margin.

Ill try not to take that personally :)

As for the other responses, its given me something to think about. Sounds like my best course of action is not to argue the point with these people, simply accept their irrational, illogical, infuriating opinions regarding aviation. Thanks for the suggestion about the Young Eagles program, im starting to look into that.

The tips regarding the actual flying with fearful passengers is appreciated, i always try to give a smooth coordinated flight for my passengers, with a few teaching moments thrown in.

Thanks for the feedback, i see im not the only one running into this on a regular basis.

Back