I'm a pilot!!!!

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
After receiving a couple discontinuance from weather, and another because the plane would not start, today I had my check ride.

I awoke a 7 AM this morning. Filed my flight plan for 1415z out of GAI and received my briefing. I arrived at the airport a little before 830AM. When I arrived the owner of the flight school had my plane out and running. Good to know the plane will start. I gave the plane a little pre flight pre flight. Didn't have to add fuel, that was convenient. I went and met Bob a few minutes before 9. He took my discontinuance sheet, and my log book, and sent me out to pre flight. He arrived after I had completed the pre flight. Go through the briefing, start things up, get all set up and ready to taxi. And then it hits me....I didn't pull the chocks. Got back in, went to start up again. Yelled out to clear the prop, started up, and then learned about an "aviation minute". Essentially, give a little more time for someone to get clear of my prop, then start.

Taxi'd out to the run up area. Had to do a little bobbing and weaving to get away from our hangar as another plane pulled in as we were leaving. As we taxi'd Bob recommended I crack the canopy. Little fogged up on my side. I wonder why, nerves maybe. I will say, I did not need any heat, Bob turned on the heat. Good thing he reminded me to take off my jacket before we got all belted in. The run up went OK. Need to put a lot into the brakes this time to keep the plane from turning while doing the run up. With the run up complete, we go to depart.

Take off went well. I started to level at traffic pattern altitude, Bob reminded me to keep climbing. Duh, departing on a XC. Found my first checkpoint right away that Bob wanted me to plot. Start my timer, and continuing on to the second check point, a fish hatchery. We cross over Sugar Loaf Mountain, and I know it should be visible. I don't see it, and we are about 3 minutes into what I calculated as 4 minutes ETA. I told him I am going to make a couple short turns to look for it. He tells me, try dropping the nose a little, first. Voila, there it is. Arrived there, 10 seconds after my calculated ETE. He has me then figure out how to divert to Carroll County. I figure out my heading to DMW. He then has me climb to 3500 and take him there. Also, he covers up my PFD. On the way there he has me line up with the cement plant, and prepare for steep turns. He asks me which way first, I said left, but I am going to do clearing turns. First he asks me why left first. Left just felt like a good directions start. Which he followed up with asking if overtaking another aircraft which side do you pass on? The right. So, why left first? Then he just said I cold use the 360 left turn as my clearing turn. Left went well, right went well. Off to slow flight, and stalls. Slow flight, easy. He had me set up for my stalls a little differently than I had learned. Never went into a full stall. But, recoveries fine. He then had me go into my emergency descent down to altitude for turns around a point. Which was pre determined at the oral exam with a roll of the dice. Got half way around a pond, with very little wind, and he wanted me to take him to DMW.

We arrive at DMW. Fly over the field. I was going to fly out as I learned and turn back into a 45. He recommended just using turning onto downwind. On to the short field landing with the numbers as my 50 foot obstacle. My turn to final is a little wide, and i tell him I am going to go around. He said that I have plenty of room to get lined up. so, I do. Cleared the obstacle, and landed within his mark, not perfect, but good enough. He asks me who is PIC. I told him me. He asked why I listened to him and did not go around. I told him, he was a lot more experienced than me, and I trusted his judgement. He told me, if I decide to go around, just do it. Don't listen, even if it is an instructor. Luckily I did not fail here. Then off to short field takeoff, easy. Followed by soft field landing. Which was one of my nicest. Yay! Soft field take off, and then follow the VOR home.

On the way home to GAI, het dated me on the autopilot. Which, my instructors never taught me, but I read about a little. I set it for the VOR. Then he had me turn on the altitude. Uh oh, little trouble. He helped me. But, was lenient here. By this point we are inside the SFRA, and almost home. He asks me what I would do if the controls for the power unattached, but the power was still the same. I tell him I will let ATC know, and continue to GAI, and take a long final, cut the power when I am close enough for a power off descent. While he said this would probably work out at GAI, he told me to think a little more. Divert to Baltimore or Dulles where I have a long runway. He wouldn't let me touch the power at all even in the power. Had to deploy the flaps with cruise power. Pitched up to bleed airspeed to get the flaps down. Probably 200 feet over TPS now. By this point I am on a long final. He tells me I have control of the power. He has make make a normal landing by the third centerline marking. Just before the Captains Bars. Nailed it.

Taxi to the hangar. He reviews my performance, and where I could use a little practice. And, where I had a couple hiccups. He then tells me if I can park it without incident there is no reason why he wouldn't be issuing me the white piece of paper. Pull in. Shut down. Receive a hand shake from Bob, and high five from my instructor.

Side note, did this ride with my new Bose A20 headset. Wow! So much better. You just don't know until you know.

Probably missed some things. The accomplishment it still sinking in.

Questions? Please ask.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cool! Time to hit the store for some wings and epaulets!

Awesome Day for sure!! Congrats!

Congratulations! excellent write up!

Thank you all.
I don't know if I want to be that Private Pilot in the Epaulettes.
Maybe if I owned a Cirrus. ::wink::

Congratulations, pilot! :yes:

He asks me who is PIC. I told him me. He asked why I listened to him and did not go around. I told him, he was a lot more experienced than me, and I trusted his judgement. He told me, if I decide to go around, just do it. Don't listen, even if it is an instructor.
I had a similar occurrence on my check ride in July. I was way high on one approach. DPE scoffed and said, "Oh, you can make that. Just cut power, full flaps and drop it in." I wasn't falling for it... told him there was no reason to try to salvage a crap landing, I was going around. FORTUNATELY, I think that was what he wanted to hear. :) They're tricky like that!

Congratulations, pilot! :yes:

I had a similar occurrence on my check ride in July. I was way high on one approach. DPE scoffed and said, "Oh, you can make that. Just cut power, full flaps and drop it in." I wasn't falling for it... told him there was no reason to try to salvage a crap landing, I was going around. FORTUNATELY, I think that was what he wanted to hear. :) They're tricky like that!

I am glad he used it as an educational experience, and not a failing experience.

Congrats! I cant wait for my turn!

Wheres your first trip as a pilot gonna be?!

Congratulations, explore & learn safely.
Interesting philosophy of the DPE. You may be in the position of being PIC but, that doesn't mean you shouldn't rapidly judge whether or not to act upon info given to you by anybody on board, regardless of credentials, for the best interests of the flight's safe completion.

Last edited:
Congrats! I cant wait for my turn!

Wheres your first trip as a pilot gonna be?!

First flight slot I am offering up to my Dad. Head out to a short XC for lunch somewhere.

Awesome man! Good job.

Congratulations. Sounded like you had a really good DPE, someone who put you at ease, and used the Checkride as a way to tell if you are safe and teach you as well. Some of the descriptions of checkrides sound like the DPE is trying to do the opposite. Mine has the reputation of being difficult, but I did both my PPL and IFR with him and found him to be just the opposite. I learned more on my checkrides than I did in any other lesson I had before.
My turn to final is a little wide, and i tell him I am going to go around. He said that I have plenty of room to get lined up. so, I do. Cleared the obstacle, and landed within his mark, not perfect, but good enough. He asks me who is PIC. I told him me. He asked why I listened to him and did not go around. I told him, he was a lot more experienced than me, and I trusted his judgement. He told me, if I decide to go around, just do it. Don't listen, even if it is an instructor. Luckily I did not fail here.

Do not think he should have failed you. You did what is exactly expected by PPL training. You made a decision as PIC, to do a go-around, which is perfectly legitimate, your co-pilot(the DPE) gave you some additional data on the situation, you reassessed the situation based on this additional data, and revised your plan based on it. This is exactly how it should work. The FAA covers it in one their mneumonics on how to deal with PIC decision making.

He reviews my performance, and where I could use a little practice. And, where I had a couple hiccups.

He used the checkride as a teaching platform, sounds to me like a great DPE.

He then tells me if I can park it without incident there is no reason why he wouldn't be issuing me the white piece of paper.

Good advice. At my home airport, a PPL candidate had from what I have been told from a reliable source, a great checkride, only to fail it when he hit the parked fuel truck while taxiing on the ramp to park.

Pull in. Shut down. Receive a hand shake from Bob, and high five from my instructor.

And high fives from the rest of us.

82326283.jpg

Good, now what? You have friends/relatives on the other side of the country to go fly to and see? Nothing like a 30hr flying vacation to really set in flying and get you ready to start your IR. You can pick up the other 20x/c during IR training flights.

:cheerswine: :happydance:

Congratulations!!!!!

Getting my PPL was the happiest aviation day of my life. Until I got my IFR ticket. :)

Fantastic Job Matt. Now on to some winter wx flying. Have a blast and keep us informed of your xc trips.

Good, now what? You have friends/relatives on the other side of the country to go fly to and see? Nothing like a 30hr flying vacation to really set in flying and get you ready to start your IR. You can pick up the other 20x/c during IR training flights.

Now it is time to build some experience, and learn some more. I plan to take Family and Friends up to get acquainted with GA. Hopefully, find some XC companions. Build up some time, and move on to step two..... IR.

Time to chane your name to "Matt flys" :)

Congrats!!! :cheerswine:

I find it "liberating" to no longer have the limitations of a stundent pilot and be PIC at all times.

If you don't already, soon you'll dream about having your own plane - and you already got da Bose :D

You also got it done before the year's end, must feel very good.

Pulling out of Afghanistan would be a huge cut in spending, let's do that before Christmas. At this pace Afghanistan will have brought down both the USSR and the USA.

Back