I'm a mess!

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I eat right and exercise regularly. Went to my very pretty AME yesterday. My vision sucks, my blood pressure was sky high, and I've shrunk.

Anyone who's witnessed my diminutive stature knows the last thing I need to be is shorter. This getting old stuff really sucks. No, it isn't better than the alternative. Lots of beasties are paedogenic.

I eat right and exercise regularly. Went to my very pretty AME yesterday. My vision sucks, my blood pressure was sky high, and I've shrunk.

Anyone who's witnessed my diminutive stature knows the last thing I need to be is shorter. This getting old stuff really sucks. No, it isn't better than the alternative. Lots of beasties are paedogenic.

Sorry to hear of this. You can't do much about the height thing - it is what it is.

Perhaps the eating right and regular exercise is the problem? Exercise needlessly uses up heartbeats, and we all have a fixed number of them. Also a good vice might be of use, at least it would help improve your outlook! :D

Gary

I eat right

How did you determine that? What's your reference metric and how valid is it?

and exercise regularly.
Exercising every Monday would make the above a true statement. How often, for how long, and what is the nature of this regular exercise?

Went to my very pretty AME yesterday. My vision sucks, my blood pressure was sky high, and I've shrunk.
As I understand it, neither exercise, and absent some nutritional deficiency, or eating have any influence over aging vision. With respect to aging and shared mortality, as Red Green said "We're all in this together."

For BP, maybe increase potassium intake and reduce sodium? I believe very few people get adequate potassium in their diet:

http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org...nts/PotassiumRecommendationFactSheetFINAL.pdf

Safety of using potassium supplements:
http://www.crnusa.org/safetypdfs/019CRNSafetyPotassium.pdf

How did you determine that? What's your reference metric and how valid is it?

I am a vegetarian, and eat a very balanced diet with little fat and not so many carbohydrates (any starch I eat is whole grain and often ancient grains).

Exercising every Monday would make the above a true statement. How often, for how long, and what is the nature of this regular exercise?

I walk 6 miles a day, 5 days a week.

For BP, maybe increase potassium intake and reduce sodium? I believe very few people get adequate potassium in their diet:

Possibly. I have the suspicion that the BP reading was artifactual, and that the spike was due to the reintroduction of allopurinol, which can boost BP. If I am right I am seeing a spike that should correct itself over time. If I'm wrong positive action will have to be taken, starting with a weight loss of no less than 10 pounds. Unfortunately, to do that I'll have to give up alcohol, and most days I'd rather give up eating. But based on previous results I suspect that will cure both my BP and my gout. I'll be taking BP readings quite regularly for the next little bit, and we'll see how it goes. Also, since my weight loss will involve drastic portion control, I'll have to perforce ingest a multivitamin, which will likely remediate any nutritional or ionic imbalance.

Well, Michael, I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well.

As for age, my paternal grandmother (who, by the way, ate whatever she wanted, drank whatever she wanted, couldn't spell "cholesterol" in either language, and outlived several of her doctors) used to tell me: "Richie, if-a you no getta old, then-a you getta dead."

When you look at it that way, it's-a notta so bad.

-Rich

PS: You may want to consider Cat's Claw (Uncaria tomentosa) for the gout.

I am a vegetarian, and eat a very balanced diet with little fat and not so many carbohydrates (any starch I eat is whole grain and often ancient grains).

Possibly. I have the suspicion that the BP reading was artifactual, and that the spike was due to the reintroduction of allopurinol, which can boost BP. If I am right I am seeing a spike that should correct itself over time. If I'm wrong positive action will have to be taken, starting with a weight loss of no less than 10 pounds. Unfortunately, to do that I'll have to give up alcohol, and most days I'd rather give up eating. But based on previous results I suspect that will cure both my BP and my gout. I'll be taking BP readings quite regularly for the next little bit, and we'll see how it goes. Also, since my weight loss will involve drastic portion control, I'll have to perforce ingest a multivitamin, which will likely remediate any nutritional or ionic imbalance.

The notion that vegetarian is the cover-all to a healthy body it just bogus. That implies everyone's body is the same and functions better eating that way. It's not true.

I frequently wonder why our society consistantly poisons ourselves with prescription medications to meet "ideal" lab report numbers instead of working with our own genetics.

Last edited:
wow, sorry about that shrinkage thing .... she have cold hands? :D

The notion that vegetarian is the cover-all to a healthy body it just bogus. That implies everyone's body is the same and functions better eating that way. It's not true.

Eating a balanced diet low in fat and high in vitamins and fiber is good for everyone not suffering an acute metabolic disease.

I frequently wonder why our society consistantly poisons ourselves with prescription medications to meet "ideal" lab report numbers instead of working with our own genetics.

My genetics predispose me to gout, and there isn't so much I can do about it. Thus allopurinol is the only medication of any kind I take on a regular basis, and whatever its side effects it beats attacks of gout, which are debilitating and raise my blood pressure even more from acute and mostly unrelieved pain.

If my BP doesn't come down of its own accord the first thing I give up is alcohol. Anyone who knows me will realize that this is a pretty big lifestyle change for me. My genetics also give me a profound attraction for the stuff, another thing I can't help. I'm no alcoholic, but in a different life I could be one pretty damn easily. But if I have to give it up to maintain good health by Odin I will. There are lots of cardiovascular illnesses running through my family, and those are genetic as well, though they are heavily affected by metabolism. If I keep mine in good order I may skip them, and that would be well worth giving up booze. I'd just rather keep my metabolism in good stead with the booze.

wow, sorry about that shrinkage thing .... she have cold hands? :D

That, er, ahem, particular part of anatomy is in no need of any growth hormone treatments, thank you very much. It was my stature to which I was referring. I don't need to wear a necktie to keep the foreskin from creeping up over my head, unlike some people.

Although you say elsewhere that you believe you have a genetic predisposition for gout (presumably higher than average uric acid in the blood) it seems to me that a vegetarian diet need not automatically reduce purine intake, which (if I understand these things at all correctly) I assume is probably a causal factor regardless of genetics. Some otherwise "healthy" vegetables are definitely high in purines (http://www.livestrong.com/article/313628-vegetables-high-in-purines/)

Sounds reasonable. I only get in about 35 minutes a day, 5 days a week, of exercise on an elliptical.

BTW, I only mention potassium as a possible supplement to lower BP because for a while I was taking about ~1 gm three times a day of elemental potassium by mixing potassium chloride into orange (or apple) juice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The KCl added a bit of "body" (or saltiness) to the juice. Not surprising, since KCl is a salt. When I was doing that I was checking my BP since KCl can lower the BP. The lowest my BP readings went during the month of supplementing was 97/63; I had started with a near-normal 120/80. (Some BP lowering foods and supplements are listing on this page with a nice BP chart: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.htm)

(Large potassium chloride solutions injected intravenously are used as one means of capital punishment, and may be one reason many people seem skittish about using it as a supplement. Yet there are cultures that consume up to 8 to 11 gms/day of K with no negative side effects, yet most western diets allegedly result in 3 gms/day or less, so other than gastrointestinal upset, you are exceedingly unlikely to kill yourself with a few gms/day extra K.)

I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV.

Eating a balanced diet low in fat and high in vitamins and fiber is good for everyone not suffering an acute metabolic disease.

I think we'd be much healthier as a whole if we worried less about our fat intake and more about our sugar addiction....including an over abundance of grains. The class "Food Pyramid" pushed since the late 60s has probably contributed more to our obesity epidemic than anything else.

I think we'd be much healthier as a whole if we worried less about our fat intake and more about our sugar addiction....including an over abundance of grains. The class "Food Pyramid" pushed since the late 60s has probably contributed more to our obesity epidemic than anything else.

I'm inclined to agree. I also blame the increase of processed foods. A lot of young adults don't even know how to cook a meal anymore. Their idea of "cooking" is opening a can or popping something in the microwave.

-Rich

You guys who don't worry about the fat and cut the sugar, I couldn't agree more!

Just tried amaranth grain for the first time tonight. Good stuff. I'm a fan of red amaranth leaves as well, "vleta" in the vernacular.

Flours made from ancient grains are far higher in protein and fiber than white flour, and consequently somewhat lower in carbohydrate.

My only word of advice: Stop hanging around your buddy, nicknamed: "China".

Your health will improve, almost instantly. :D

Eating a balanced diet low in fat and high in vitamins and fiber is good for everyone.

Right, so how are you figuring a a vegetarian diet low in carbs is balanced for an animal that has the teeth of an omnivore and can't digest cellulose?:dunno: Doesn't sound balanced in the slightest and has your metabolism in a catabolic mode to me.

Well, it looks like I was right. The heightened BP was artifactual, probably due to the reintroduction of allopurinol and of course the stress of the medical itself, despite the pretty AME and the even prettier assistant. It is now back to normal.

About alcohol and cardiovascular disease - moderate, regular consumption puts you in one of the lowest risk classes for it. Teetotallers have a higher risk. Drunks screw up other organs, like their livers, and that ain't good. But my local pathologist assures me that she's never seen a drunk's corpse with anything but whistle clean arteries. The trick is drinking enough for that beneficial effect without becoming an addict who ruins the rest of their body.

About alcohol and cardiovascular disease - moderate, regular consumption puts you in one of the lowest risk classes for it. Teetotallers have a higher risk. Drunks screw up other organs, like their livers, and that ain't good. But my local pathologist assures me that she's never seen a drunk's corpse with anything but whistle clean arteries. The trick is drinking enough for that beneficial effect without becoming an addict who ruins the rest of their body.

It isn't such a good thing for those of us who suffer gout. Doesn't seem to stop me much, though.

My only word of advice: Stop hanging around your buddy, nicknamed: "China".

Your health will improve, almost instantly. :D

I'm afraid that advice applies to you more than me. I know enough to decline the invitation to chug Grant's margaritas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back