Illinois taxes Pilots and Airplanes. Letter from IDOT

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
I received this and a few other things like this from IDOT.

Idot%20Pilot%20taxe%203_zps5uiyufve.jpg

IDOT%20pilot%20tax%204_zps3gptlwdh.jpg

According to Webster's definition of Commerce if you have sex while flying in more than one state you would be exempt.
Definition of commerce
  1. 1: social intercourse : interchange of ideas, opinions, or sentiments … a negotiated peace that will reestablish intellectual commerceamong them … — P. B. Rice

2. 2: the exchange or buying and selling of commodities on a large scale involving transportation from place to place a major center of commerce interstate commerce

3. 3: sexual intercourse

Illinois is one of the states I would not live in, even if they paid me.
California, Oregon, Washington; More of the same.
Very, very soon, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut will achieve the same level of thieving stupidity.
And I will be moving to Tennessee.

Did you read the exceptions? It doesn't apply to most of us:

"A pilot, who is not a resident of Illinois, who is legally authorized to operate a plane in his/her state of residence."

that and the exception for those in "interstate commerce" pretty much lets out all but Illinois resident recreational pilots.

Very, very soon, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut will achieve the same level of thieving stupidity.
Maybe add Maryland? From which I will be departing in the relatively near future.

I feel most badly about CA and MD, two places I have lived for significant periods, but which, to my mind, have deteriorated terribly, both politically and culturally. I was a very young when I lived in WA, so that one doesn't burn as much. Oddly enough, I was born in IL (Chicago) but spent no time there. That one is particularly sad, as it is so egregious. CA, MD, etc., still have money, so the rot is less evident for now.

I don't know about the other states, but I agree about California. I've lived here my entire life, and every year, the state government gets dumber, and the special snowflakes keep multiplying exponentially. Unfortunately, my wife refuses to give up her job, despite the fact that we would save twice her annual salary by moving to a state with no income tax.

Wonder what the registration will cost.
$20, one-time-fee. it used to be an annual, then bi-annual, now one-time registration. I've had my SPL for 4-yrs now and have never been asked to show my card by anyone.

Oregon, the plane was $65 and the pilot $24, don't remember how many years each. But no sales or property taxes on the plane, so I'm ok with this.

I paid that the first year I lived in IL. Then I figured out it was a scam and never paid again.

WA was $65/year. I didn't mind it when I lived there; the state Aeronautics Dept. is very supportive of GA, and maintains several state-owned airports in remote areas; likewise Oregon. WA used to have a pilot registration system as well, but discontinued that several years ago.

I just moved to Arizona, and registration for a light single is $25/year here.

When I lived in Ohio, there was an annual aircraft registration fee of $15/seat, payable to Ohio Dept of Transportation, Aviation Div.

Never heard of pilots needing to register their federal license with any state government . . . Isn't the list publicly available? Based on what shows up in my mail, it must be--Sportys & King catalogs, Trade A Plane, offers to buy my plane (for cash!), etc. It all started miraculously right after my PPL checkride.

But I guess no one in the state government can be bothered to run a Google search, or look through the FAA website and sort the results by state (that requires a touch of basic intelligence and a bit of motivation).

I can tell you that despite what the statute says in Maryland, there is ZERO enforcement of any pilot or aircraft registration requirements in MD. I had my plane there for years and they never even asked.

While living in Illinois, I attended a couple of pilot events where they asked how many in the audience knew of the requirement to register. Less than half knew and when they were asked if they had complied, far fewer said yes.

i would love to see the outcome of the case in a federal court. a state charging for a federal issued certificate. can you say violation of the interstate commerce clause.

Years ago when I lived in another "I" state (Idaho), there was a registration fee for pilots. I haven't encountered one in other states I've lived in while I was a pilot; California, Colorado, and Missouri.

You forgot maryland

I read an article just today that Illinois' bonds are officially juck status.
Is there a Democratically controlled state that is running a budget surplus?

i would love to see the outcome of the case in a federal court. a state charging for a federal issued certificate. can you say violation of the interstate commerce clause.

If you had taken the time to read, the fee is not imposed on pilots who are engaged in interstate commerence.

Michigan also requires an annual registration fee for aircraft and has a one-time 6% use tax. But no such registration for PILOTS. This is the first I've heard of any state requiring this.

Vermont has the one-time use tax but there appears to be zero enforcement, as I was never asked to prove that I had paid the tax in MI. There is no annual registration.

Wonder what the registration will cost.

Read the brochure and wonder no more.

This is a particularly odious example of government intrusion into private life. The seemingly innocuous registration and $20 fee does something we should all abhor, it gives the government your name and other information.

What future use will come from that information? Who knows. Will the information become public and pilots vilified as privileged wealthy? This already happens in comments on news stories online.

Last edited:
So they think they can they can create additional requirements for a federal certificate? What's next, are they going to start suspending the state registration of the pilot certificate if have an unpaid ticket or something? How about requiring you to register and pay a fee for your passport. Someone needs to take this bs to court.

"This program has been effect since 1948."

Years ago when I lived in another "I" state (Idaho), there was a registration fee for pilots. I haven't encountered one in other states I've lived in while I was a pilot; California, Colorado, and Missouri.

California is good about not applying a fee to the pilot as that bites the hand that feeds them. Instead they just tax the aircraft up front (use tax) and make the municipal airports report tail numbers. Why nickel and dime when you can get 8-10% of the aircraft's sales or their assessed value of the aircraft in advance?

Arizona is calling my name with a vengeance...

$20, one-time-fee. it used to be an annual, then bi-annual, now one-time registration. I've had my SPL for 4-yrs now and have never been asked to show my card by anyone.
The pilot certificate registration is one time, but the aircraft registration has to be renewed every two years. It's a little confusing due to the layout of the brochure as shown above, but this is confirmed by the January 1st amendment to the state statute:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=099-0605

In before the lock!

I'm not sure about surpluses, but deficits don't seem to have much correlation with which party is in control.

https://www.multistate.us/blog/thirty-one-states-face-revenue-shortfalls-for-the-2017-fiscal-year

One correction to that article is that shortly after it was published, California's governor announced a projected deficit after a few years of surpluses:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-budget-trump-risks-20170110-story.html

Back