Illegal for US private pilots to fly to the UK

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
Yes it does sound incredible but that's exactly what the UK has done.

Pilot with FAA licenses, whether based in the UK or just visiting, cannot use them in UK airspace unless they have an FAA Class 2 or EASA Class 2 medical, plus got a declaration signed by an Examiner confirming they know the UK air law etc.

Those interested can read from around here
https://www.euroga.org/forums/hanga...ed-to-april-2019-not-quite/post/141893#141893

The effective date is 15th April 2017!

The UK CAA is saying that the FAA Class 2 and Class 3 medicals are not ICAO compliant. The US position is that both are compliant and the FAA Class 3 is equivalent to the ICAO Class 2.

I wonder what the FAA thinks of this?

So they picked out Class 2 and 3 and avoided Class 1 because if they denied the airlines their airspace it would bring a trade war and cripple them? Pure hypocrisy.

This stops anyone in Europe buying a Cirrus since they are ferry flown by CSIPs. And Diamond can forget flying anything from Germany to the USA if a US customers tries to go to Germay to get their plane.

FAA Class 1 would also work OK. This move is for noncommercial operations.

Yes - the clumsy way this UK thing is drafted would make N-reg ferry flights to the UK illegal, once in UK airspace, unless the pilot complies with the requirements.

Any link to an official document or site? Looks like this is just on their version of POA or similar.

I don't think so because BasicMed is useful only in US airspace. It isn't useful to US licensed pilots (N-reg aircraft) outside the USA. These need to hold at least the FAA Class 3 medical, or Class 2 on the latest "proposal" from the UK CAA.

What "Stupid Pilot Tricks" from N-reg aircraft in their air system in the last several years have precipitated this?

What "Stupid Pilot Tricks" from N-reg aircraft in their air system in the last several years have precipitated this?

Probably mostly tax avoidance, but I'm thinking aloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably mostly tax avoidance, but I'm thinking aloud.

What tax avoidance? VAT still applies if you buy a Cirrus and fly it to Europe.

What tax avoidance? VAT still applies if you buy a Cirrus and fly it to Europe.

I said I was thinking aloud. Or they want more European flight training.

Where does it say you need a Class 1? The way I read it Class 2 is acceptable.

Don't ferry pilots need a Class 2 anyway?

"2.1.2 Medical fitness

(a) The applicant shall either have a valid FAA Class 2 aircrew medical or meet the relevant EU medical requirements as stipulated in Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 for the privileges sought by the applicant and obtain a European medical certificate. The medical certificate must be at least Class 2 and appropriate to the licence and ratings held."

Indeed; there is no tax avoidance or evasion angle here. It is purely to do with a political desire for "control", plus probably high level issues with the USA in other aviation related areas (airline rights etc).

Indeed; there is no tax avoidance or evasion angle here. It is purely to do with a political desire for "control", plus probably high level issues with the USA in other aviation related areas (airline rights etc).
If it isn't a tax thing, then why are so many aircraft imported into Europe kept with US registrations? There must be some reason for that.

Sounds like a whole lot of reasons to put barriers in the way of FAA certificated pilots....

Sounds like a whole lot of reasons to put barriers in the way of FAA certificated pilots....

Yep. It's about power and control. And taxes. Like owning a car in other parts of the world, it is not a say.

But don't worry - there are plenty of folks here that would like to restrict private aircraft (because if you won one you must be rich) and because they believe in more government regulation. We are lucky in the US... Let's not screw that up.

I just can't get too excited by this. There are so many places in the US and the rest of North America and even the rest of the Americas that I still haven't flown to that the UK and Europe are not even in my sight picture of places to fly.

Back