I'll be in Denver on August 2nd Through 4th...

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
.... Who amongst the Denver gang wants to meet up for dinner/drinks on Wednesday the 2nd?

I'll be staying on the south end of town in the Tech Center area.

How reliable is Uber in the Denver area?

I looked at rental cars for the time I'm in Denver and the prices for my travel dates are crazy crazy crazy.

I looked at rental cars for the time I'm in Denver and the prices for my travel dates are crazy crazy crazy.
Although I haven't used it, I know people who rely on it to go from Centennial to Denver International.

We'll definitely try and meet up with you, @AggieMike88.

So... you're coming to town for the pot tourism, right? LOL. Kidding...

Avis.com was showing me nearly $400 for a "Camry" or equivalent for the two days. Usually Avis is okay, but not this time...

Digging deeper in some of the travel aggregator sites, I was able to find "Advantage Rent A Car" and a Camry sized for about $150 for the two days.

Just an FYI thing, light rail from DIA to the tech center area isn't too bad. One train change at union station.

Just an FYI thing, light rail from DIA to the tech center area isn't too bad. One train change at union station.
I'll file that for future needs.... Thanks!

This trip, I need the additional mobility.

Avis.com was showing me nearly $400 for a "Camry" or equivalent for the two days. Usually Avis is okay, but not this time...

Digging deeper in some of the travel aggregator sites, I was able to find "Advantage Rent A Car" and a Camry sized for about $150 for the two days.

Mike,

Said tongue-in-cheek. Given that you're in the auto salvage business does rent-a wreck come to mind? Might save you a few bucks. :devil:

look at u, bouncing all over the place...clt, den.......

Mike,

Said tongue-in-cheek. Given that you're in the auto salvage business does rent-a wreck come to mind? Might save you a few bucks. :devil:
No it doesn't

At least one major conference. That's why the price is sky high. Enterprise is out of cars entirely.

Possible option - take the light rail from DIA and get off at the Peoria station. Then take the other light rail to the Nine-mile station. Walk across the street to the Red Lion hotel - Enterprise has a local office there, and at this timestamp, cars for under $150 for the Aug 2-4. Return the car back to Red Lion, reverse the light rail or call me. I live 2 blocks from the Nine-mile station (and Red Lion) and will happily drive you back to the airport.

Easy trip but long. The A Line (the high speed line) is limited to 79 mph and has multiple stops. The local light rail is limited to 50 mph (or so) and Union Station down to Tech center can take almost an hour. I do the shorter local trip to downtown and it's 35-40 min each way.

Thanks for the ride offer, but I was able to get a confirmed rental. Expedia's new rental car aggregation site came through.... found something for $125.00 for both days. And at the airport.

I'll be staying at the Hyatt Place in the Tech Center. Plans are to arrive at the hotel around 5:00pm.

When and where for drinks and grub?

Hope to join! May drag Mtns2Skies if he's around. Keep me informed...

Ahhhh... Denver.
Home of the Mile High club that never leaves the ground.

And remember, at least 24 minutes between bottle and throttle.

Sorry I'll miss you and the Denver folks. I'm a left coaster now. My house sold right away, and the buyers requested a 3-week close, which was about as fast as I wanted to do it.

Easy trip but long. The A Line (the high speed line) is limited to 79 mph and has multiple stops. The local light rail is limited to 50 mph (or so) and Union Station down to Tech center can take almost an hour. I do the shorter local trip to downtown and it's 35-40 min each way.
Yeah, the trade-off is time for low cost. I can walk to local station and be downtown 15 minutes later if I time it right, 25 minutes later if I time it wrong.

Sorry I'll miss you and the Denver folks. I'm a left coaster now. My house sold right away, and the buyers requested a 3-week close, which was about as fast as I wanted to do it.

So glad it worked out well! I hope you enjoy the new location.

I'll be staying at the Hyatt Place in the Tech Center. Plans are to arrive at the hotel around 5:00pm.

Well, there's the bar/restaurant at the Hyatt. Or one of the many places around. There's an italian restaurant (Nona's) not far from KAPA that Nate recommends (or has in the past). For BBQ, there's Famous Dave's about a 10 min drive east on Arapahoe. I don't recommend Landry's for seafood (off I-25, just south of Arapahoe).

Of course there's the good, ole' standby, TPL at the airport.

Hm...other places nearby - Hoong's cantonese & szezuan restaurant - very good and not a chain.

Well, there's the bar/restaurant at the Hyatt. Or one of the many places around. There's an italian restaurant (Nona's) not far from KAPA that Nate recommends (or has in the past). For BBQ, there's Famous Dave's about a 10 min drive east on Arapahoe. I don't recommend Landry's for seafood (off I-25, just south of Arapahoe).

Agree about Landry's... Pass on BBQ...

I'll see what the Yelpers recommended

Literally right across the parking lot from my old employer. They moved though.

There's a bunch down there. There's stuff in the Tech Center (which is actually a financial district and not Tech at all) but tends to be pricy in there. Couple of really nice bars though. Great Northern Tavern in there is a little pricey but excellent. Good beer. Meh food. It's a bar.

Nona's is okay, but not easy for a large group -- have done that there before and they set up a long table kinda in the middle and it's a little awkward.

For a more open style pub hangout and food I'd cross the parking lot there and go to Maggie Smith's Irish pub.

(By the way, the shooting range is also there. Haha.)

If you really want BBQ, it's not a meet up place at all. It's literally a hole in the wall and you'd be meeting in the parking lot -- would be Jabo's down there. Probably no good for a meeting. There's also a Brother's BBQ at the corner of Arapahoe and I-25 if the construction there hasn't shut it down. It has room but is "better than average" BBQ but nothing to write home about.

If folks like Mexican, the Brewery Bar III (they're numbered) a couple exits south near Park Meadows mall is excellent, and all of them have been around forever. This is also a great "budget" option. The green chili is very good.

It's also right next door to the indoor skydiving place if anyone wanted to turn this into an all different sort of "event". Hahaha. Never been. Kinda curious about it. LOL.

If someone feels more adventurous there's good Pho and Sushi also nearby there. Lots of stuff in that area. Also a top notch Indian place. But I suspect those aren't good ideas for a group?

Mike,

I called rent-a-wreck one time. They were actually the highest of any place I called in Anchorage.

My brother in law used to be the head chef at Stuben's near downtown and then opened the Arvada location. Kind of a trendy, hipster place, but the food was great. He also took us to a taco place called Los Chingones. The rattlesnake chorizo tacos were sublime. (Actually, I would have just said they were awesome, but it's the kind of place you are expected to use words like "sublime").

Now he's helping open a restaurant in Aruba, so we kinda hate him.

Last edited:
They act like they are Cirrus or BO drivers. :)

No, no. The Denver crowd actually seems to care about someone other than themselves, so they must drive Cessna's, Pipers, and Frankenkotas. Bo and Cirrus people just hang out with themselves.

My brother in law used to be the head chef at Stuben's near downtown and then opened the Arvada location. Kind of a trendy, hipster place, but the food was great. He also took us to a taco place called Los Chongones. The rattlesnake chorizo tacos were sublime. (Actually, I would have just said they were awesome, but it's the kind of place you are expected to use words like "sublime").

Now he's helping open a restaurant in Aruba, so we kinda hate him.

Stuben's has been a mainstay of Denver forever. That's awesome. Will have to check out the taco thing.

And apparently I just found the best place in town for a popcorn shrimp Po Boy. Holy cow.

496c79b27dd034be6931473d214b2f64.jpg

Flaming Joe's Seafood. Aurora. Nice.

The funny thing is, they just won the food cleanliness award for their entire county... which probably says something about restaurants in their county more than anything... they also did a major remodel.

Back