ILAFFT: Almost Killed my Family on an Instrument Approach

The Salinas RNAV Z Rwy 31 approach is somewhat similar to what you're describing with the not-to-scale depiction, except that Big Sur is not an IAF.

Attachments

• 00363RZ31.pdf
    504.1 KB · Views: 172
It seems to be typical for segments before the intermediate fix (IF) to be absent from the profile view.

You're correct, but it's not just "typical", it is actually "standard". The profile view starts at the IF by policy for FAA charts, and I believe that Jepp charts are the same in this regard.

There are "some" exceptions, none of which apply here. Some I can think of:
- Charts actually produced by NGA for the military, for example "HI-" charts, may show more fixes in the profile view. This is a "military" thing even if at a joint-use airport.
- Charts that have multiple IFs (typically only RNAV (RNP) procedures) will usually start the profile view at the FAF and have a note "See planview for multiple IF locations" - but this is the opposite situation as above.
- There is no IF, like if there is a PT at the FAF, then the IAF/FAF is shown.
- Procedures, typically at a major airport, with a long final and/or multiple altitudes where the glideslope could be intercepted as directed by ATC. For example, many of the procedures in LAX's runways 24 and 25.

You're correct, but it's not just "typical", it is actually "standard"....
Thanks. I thought that was probably the case, but I didn't want to go beyond the limits of my knowledge.

Hey, you know, when it's your error, you just go ahead and feel free to post it with your name, address, and social security number if that's your kind of thing!
How does name, address and social security number get into this? The only thing you're protecting is your 'handle' here on POA. And that is certainly your prerogative. If saving face is a priority for you, then so be it. FWIW, you have left a clue as to who you might be. I've taken an educated guess. And no, don't nobody ask, I won't answer.

@luvflyin I was getting pushed to share the approach plate and to your point, I have been trying not to leave too many clues behind because while I do want to be able to discuss this with the community, anonymity is also important to me. My point was that when it's someone else posting about their error, that person should feel free to post as much personally identifying information as they like!

By the way, it's not just your handle here on POA that is at risk, as embarrassing as that might be. FlightAware and ADS-B make it reasonably easy or at least very possible to get back to the actual person (or at least aircraft owner), not just POA handle, so I appreciate your and everyone's discretion.

What about linking to a plate that has the same 'gotcha' ?

It would be nice to know what we are looking for so maybe it prevents someone else from killing their family.

@luvflyin I was getting pushed to share the approach plate and to your point, I have been trying not to leave too many clues behind because while I do want to be able to discuss this with the community, anonymity is also important to me. My point was that when it's someone else posting about their error, that person should feel free to post as much personally identifying information as they like!

By the way, it's not just your handle here on POA that is at risk, as embarrassing as that might be. FlightAware and ADS-B make it reasonably easy or at least very possible to get back to the actual person (or at least aircraft owner), not just POA handle, so I appreciate your and everyone's discretion.
If you think the Chart is really confusing you can go here: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/procedures/ There is a video about how to use it. But all you need to do is type in the Airport ID. No K needed, lowercase is fine. All the Procedures at the Airport will show up. There is an Email FAA button for each. You'll have to create a sign in with them. Just say in plain language what your concerns are. You don't have to say anything about you were flying the Approach. I've sent in squawks on Approaches I've never been within thousands of miles of and got results. They're usually pretty good at getting back to you. Sometimes within that day. I've seen Notams cut within a few hours when there is a significant error on a Chart.

What about linking to a plate that has the same 'gotcha' ?
The Salinas one that I attached to Post #121 looks very similar to what he's describing, except the route from BSR is a feeder and there's a dogleg.

Passengers are a big danger. Short of diverting because they are dying or experiencing and uncontrolled panic attack passengers are best ignored except during cruise.
Not AV related but I thought I'd share...

While running VIP transport missions around Iraq in 2008, I picked up a Battalion Commander and his Operations Officer from Balad and transported them to Ramadi before going to Baghdad. The Commander wanted to know where his headset was so he could interact with the crew. His OPS Officer was a friend of mine (as much as Os and Es can be friends) from previous assignments and understood exactly why I had removed all of the extra headsets from the rear of my Cougar MRAP. He told the LTC that SSG Einarson feels that cargo don't speak. My wife was also a Soldier that went on convoys in Iraq, often with my guys, so she understands that when I say shut up in the plane it is very different than if I said it at home.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back