Ignition Key Warning.....

I used this for the safety section of our Young Eagles ground school: What's wrong with this picture?

View attachment 75986
Back when I was hopping rides in Stearmans, we were taking advantage of some air conditioning, and looking out the window we saw a mom put her kid in front of the airplane, frame the picture, and then go pull the prop down next to the kid so he could put his arm around it for the picture.

All four of us started running out the door at the same time, and you’ve never seen four guys in red suits run so fast!:rolleyes:

An article appeared on Kathryn's Report's about someone killed when the engine fired while he was doing a pre-flight inspection. The throttle was off, mixture idle cutoff and the ignition key was in his pocket.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/07/propeller-contact-with-person-cessna.html

Turns out the key could be removed while in any position in addition to OFF. Apparently it was still R.

Some time ago I noticed that the key on my Beechcraft Sport could be removed in any position. My plane came with several keys. The one I was using was worn pretty bad. Using another key "fixed" the problem.

Everyone should check this on their plane.

For that to happen the ignition switch was worn out and the key was probably falling out of the ignition at times in flight or at least had a very sloppy fit in the ignition. . This is an item a good IA should have caught on inspection.

Back