IFR Xcountry

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
My plane has the required equipment, but is not currently IFR certified. Can I use it for the IFR training cross country?

I thought that was one of the things you needed in order to accept an IFR clearance. I do remember that you need to make your XC on an IFR flight plan.

My plane has the required equipment, but is not currently IFR certified. Can I use it for the IFR training cross country?
There is a training exemption, but you have to be in visual conditions. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: I think this is it.

5-439 USE OF AIRCRAFT NOT APPROVED FOR IFR OPERATIONS UNDER ITS TYPE CERTIFICATE FOR INSTRUMENT TRAINING AND/OR AIRMAN CERTIFICATION TESTING. The following paragraphs are intended to clarify the use of an aircraft not approved for IFR operations under its type certificate for instrument flight training and/or airman certification testing.
A. IFR Training in Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC). Instrument flight training may be conducted during VMC in any aircraft that meets the equipment requirements of part 91, §§ 91.109, 91.205, and, for an airplane operated in controlled airspace under the IFR system, §§ 91.411 and 91.413. An aircraft may be operated on an IFR flight plan under IFR in VMC, provided the PIC is properly certificated to operate the aircraft under IFR. However, if the aircraft is not approved for IFR operations under its type certificate, or if the appropriate instruments and equipment are not installed or are not operative, operations in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC) are prohibited. The PIC of such an aircraft must cancel the IFR flight plan in use and avoid flight into IMC.

Last edited:
There is a training exemption, but you have to be in visual conditions. I'll see if I can find it. You have to have a CFI on board.
Thanks a lot. The written reference would be much appreciated. Although it would be magical to tell the FAA, "It is OK, don't worry about it, a guy named Cooter told me so."

There are often heated discussions about the unfortunate-but-often-can't-be-helped issue of training time in actual conditions. I'm generally against requiring cloud time because people live in places like Colorado and Arizona where a flyable cloud is rare event. But, somehow, having to make sure to avoid any clouds on a an IFR cross country in IMC-rich Massachusetts just feels wrong :stirpot:

Get the airplane certified and do some actual.It will be well worth it.

A clarification of what you mean by "not currently IFR certified" would be nice. What Cooter posted may be of no value to you, depending on what is currently missing.

Just the pitot static check is missing. I have the equipment needed.

Just the pitot static check is missing. I have the equipment needed.

To make this educational, what regs have the requirement in them for the static check and altimeter check? Are they cited in what Cooter posted?

Thanks a lot. The written reference would be much appreciated. Although it would be magical to tell the FAA, "It is OK, don't worry about it, a guy named Cooter told me so."
Don't forget to attach pic of your source when submitting your explanation

Back