IFR Written This Week - Nervous / Any Advice?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Thursday's the day! I have the rest of the week off and am using King course, Rod Machado's book, the FAA book for my IFR Written studies. If I have time I'll use Gleim.

Any advice for me? Has anyone taken the test recently and has anything changed (other than they no longer use the published questions)? Any new emphasis or study items?

Thanks, all!

If you've studied well enough to gain the endorsement, I wouldn't sweat it. You should do well enough to pass.

Get a good nights rest before the exam. Eat a nutritious breakfast.

If you have an iPad, get ASA's Prepware product and use that for review. It's affordable, and it allows you to review all the questions as well as quizzes of random ones.

You'll do fine.

Oops...do I need an endorsement just for the written?

Yes, endorsements are required for written tests up to and including commercial pilot. The certificate of completion from king includes your endorsement however.

My advice for test taking that worked well for me...answer all of the softball questions first. That will boost your confidence. You can jump around in any order, skip, and mark questions. I went through both my PPL and IFR tests by first skipping all questions that required calculations and answered the easy ones. Went back and next hit the questions that I had to think about, flagging the ones that I was not 100% about. Then went for all of the calculations questions again flagging. After that, went back and reviewed all of the flagged questions and sure enough through my process testing process my mind would get jogged enough to either understand that question better or realize what the answer was.

Good luck!

Great advise Shawn...that's exactly how I take tests. And Jordan, that was 42 years ago!

But I got the answer anyway...King Schools records your scores on-line. Once you've passed the practice tests 3 times, they issue an endorsement you can take into the test.

they issue an endorsement you can take into the test.
A reminder that you will need to have the printed endorsement with you when you check in at the testing center.

So if you don't already have that, call their customer service and obtain it.

They told me the printed paper endorsement can be printed on-line from home and its still valid.

They told me the printed paper endorsement can be printed on-line from home and its still valid.

Who said that? King Schools CSR's? Or the testing center?

Before you sit for the exam, check in with the testing center to make sure they will accept this. Better to get any hiccups solved today or tomorrow than encounter them on exam day when you're amped up and nervous.

If you were scoring over 85 consistently on several practice tests in a row, you'll do fine. Remember you only need to pass the test, not ace the test!

A reminder that you will need to have the printed endorsement with you when you check in at the testing center.

So if you don't already have that, call their customer service and obtain it.
Hmm....I wonder if upon receiving it, an image of it on an EFB (ie iPAD) would suffice or would they simply send you away as a wise-guy :D

Can't speak to showing a photo on your phone or tablet. The testing center that I used chose to make a photo copy of my endorsement. Likely for their record keeping since I wasn't a "regular" customer of their flight school activities.

Remember anything over 70% is just showing off ;-)

I just heard a DPE at a FAA seminar say that he definitely looked at the score an applicant had gotten on his written, and adjusted his oral accordingly. If the pilot had a 90+ score, he figured you knew your stuff, and he wouldn't sweat you unduly on the oral.

I just heard a DPE at a FAA seminar say that he definitely looked at the score an applicant had gotten on his written, and adjusted his oral accordingly. If the pilot had a 90+ score, he figured you knew your stuff, and he wouldn't sweat you unduly on the oral.
Most of the stuff on the written didn't really reflect what my CFI and I did during training. I think I scored in the high 80's but my oral was still about 2 hours long. I scored in the high 80's for my commercial and my oral was almost 4 hours

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. Get a good nights sleep.
2. Eat something before the exam.
3. Try to limit distractions the day of the exam (work, family, etc).
4. Don't change an answer! Go with your first response, it's more than likely correct.
5. Take your own calculator.

Correct. I've used everything from a handwritten instructor's endorsement, one torn from the back of a Gleim book signed by an instructor, one rubber stamped by John King, and one printed by the Gleim software at various times to take writtes.

This is what I used when I took my test, and I did not have any problems.

Back