IFR Written Test Procedure Question

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
OK...I'm about 1/2 way through my IFR Written Test studies.

Question...

When you take the test, can you skip a question and come back to it, or does the computer force you to answer each queston before proceeding?

Why am I asking? Some questions have multiple calculations, are complex, take time, and have a lot of room for error. In the interest of getting through the test, can I skip those questions, and come back to them at the end once I'm confident the rest are OK?

Thanks, members!

Yes. It is recommended to skip longer questions and come back to them. They are all worth one point.

All of them are the same. You can skip around.

There's even a "flag this question" option so you can get back to it easily....

Seriously, though... go buy the Dauntless IFR test prep. Not that I'm a fan of rote memorization, but there's only a handful of "compute the cross country" type problems. After doing each one 5 times over, the answer gets burned in to that long term memory register of yours.

Same as your Private. Go through all the ones you know, then come back to the harder ones

I just recently took the test. You can easily skip any question you want, but I recommend "flagging" any questions you skip (also any that you answer, but aren't 100% sure about). At the end, the system will remind you if you have any unanswered or flagged questions. As much as I was taught to stick with your first instinct, I liked having the opportunity to review questions I wasn't sure about the first time through. (If you're REALLY lucky, a later question will help you answer one you flagged earlier. But worst case, you'll have some time to spend figuring out the tough ones after you've answered the ones you already know.)

Good luck!

As much as I was taught to stick with your first instinct...

Common advice, that I think is wrong.

Most times if you change an answer after further reflection, it's the right thing to do. Thing is, getting it right is not memorable.

But get one wrong because you changed it and you really tend to kick yourself for it, it sticks out in your mind, and it confirms your perception.

I think it's what would be called "confirmation bias".

I've scored highly on written tests for most of my adult life, largely on the back of changing answers after further thought.

But whatever works!

Most times if you change an answer after further reflection, it's the right thing to do. Thing is, getting it right is not memorable.

But get one wrong because you changed it and you really tend to kick yourself for it, it sticks out in your mind, and it confirms your perception.

Different people are different. Advanced test prep software will give you a breakdown after each practice test of how many correct answers you changed to incorrect and how many incorrect you changed to correct, so you can figure out which is true for you before the real thing.

(I wouldn't be surprised if nobody bothers to make this kind of software for FAA tests.)

Typical FAA Question -

You are flying the backcourse departure procedure with your ADF as guidance. The backcourse is 345 and your heading is 270. The VOR indicates a TO flag with a needle deflected to the left on a 060 radial selection. After 2:36 of flight time you roll inverted and add left rudder. Which way does the VOR deflect and what is your magnetic bearing to the station ?

Typical FAA Question -

You are flying the backcourse departure procedure with your ADF as guidance. The backcourse is 345 and your heading is 270. The VOR indicates a TO flag with a needle deflected to the left on a 060 radial selection. After 2:36 of flight time you roll inverted and add left rudder. Which way does the VOR deflect and what is your magnetic bearing to the station ?

You left out the part about the napping cat (partial panel) and the duck actually being a goose (un-certified equipment).

Back