IFR written test before PPL

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
I have completed my PPL written and am working on hours when weather and aircraft will allow. Our new plane will be delivered 12/15 so at least that solves one of the problems.

Am I able to study for and take the IFR written now or do I have to wait to take the written a certain amount of time after I get my PPL. I know the written test is good for 24 months and don't see any problems completing the PPl and IFR flight work in that time frame.

Just figured I would continue the book work while the air stuff is limited for weather

Get your PPL first then worry about the written. You will still need to build up 50 hours PIC X country.

You can study for the test all you want, but I believe you have to get an instructor to sign off on the written before you actually take it.

Assuming that happens, I don't see why you couldn't take the written, maybe someone else will disagree :)

On the CATS testing page, these are the requirements they give to sign up for and take one:

• Certificate of graduation or a statement of accomplishment certifying the satisfactory completion of the ground school portion of a course from a FAA certificated pilot school. (14 CFR 61.71(a))
  • Written statement or logbook endorsement from an FAA authorized ground or flight instructor certifying that the applicant is prepared to take the required knowledge test. (14 CFR 61.65(a)(4))

But uhm..yeah I'd get my PPL before embarking on the next rating. You're a LONG way from the instrument practical. The best thing to do is to take the written and the practical as close as possible together so you retain all of the knowledge for the oral portion of the practical (in my opinion).

Long and short, just take it one step at a time.

Also don't use CATS, LassrGrade is much better, the onscreen E6B is reason alone to only use them.

I have completed my PPL written and am working on hours when weather and aircraft will allow. Our new plane will be delivered 12/15 so at least that solves one of the problems.

Am I able to study for and take the IFR written now or do I have to wait to take the written a certain amount of time after I get my PPL. I know the written test is good for 24 months and don't see any problems completing the PPl and IFR flight work in that time frame.

Just figured I would continue the book work while the air stuff is limited for weather

My experience has been that the instrument written is best taken after having had some instrument training (anf I do not mean the three hours of flight training in flight by instruments required for the private ticket).

Bob Gardner

You can take it now if you want.

Whether you should is a different question. I tend to agree with those who suggest taking things one step at a time and especially with Bob's observation that, even more than the private written, it's very helpful to have at least a couple of hours of training for the rating under your belt for some context. IFR is about 20% about flying and 80% about rules, regulations and procedures.

You can take it now if you want.

Whether you should is a different question. I tend to agree with those who suggest taking things one step at a time and especially with Bob's observation that, even more than the private written, it's very helpful to have at least a couple of hours of training for the rating under your belt for some context. IFR is about 20% about flying and 80% about rules, regulations and procedures.

And many of those rules, regulations and procedures are irrelevant for VFR flight.

Like, you're required to have an alternate destination in your IFR flight plan if weather one hour before and after planned arrival is less than 2000 or 3 miles, and if that alternate has a precision approach, its weather must be above 600 and 2 miles at the ETA. None of that matters for VFR flight; you only care about basic VFR minima and VFR flight plans are not required at all. And yes it is on the test (I got multiple questions on mine).

Seems like a massive distraction to me.

And I've never heard of someone "building time" on a private pilot certificate, except for the case where someone was taught how to fly by a non-instructor and now has to do it again for real. If that's the case, you might have some bad habits that will be real hard to get rid of.

Last edited:
I vote for taking the test when you have started instrument training. Take it early and you'll forget half of what you learned. It's good information to have when you're doing your flight training.

Why confuse the issue,get. Your private,then start on the instrument training.

A buddy of mine just took the instrument written. He is almost done with his ppl stuff but no certificate. He did one of the weekend courses and passed. He said it was a ton of info crammed into 2-3 days.

Better Plan is to start studying for your Private Pilot Oral Test. Get an Oral Test Prep guide and start working on it. When you and your instructor are convinced you can pass the Oral part of the practical test, then you might start working on the instrument Knowledge test. But would be better to pass or PP Practical test 1st.

These are designed to build on each other...

Pre-solo quiz leads to Knowledge Test Leads to Practical Test leads to Instrument Knowledge test leads to Instrument Practical test leads to etc....

You can skip parts of the sequence but it is harder when you do.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Best to get the PPL first then fly a while for fun then start instrument training then take the IR written exam.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll continue to focus on ppl and make the transition immediately after. Did a few landings today so I'm getting closer and loving everything minute of it.

Keep in mind the tests are only valid for 24 months... so... why take the IFR exam with the pressure of finishing the PPL and getting your IFR training and 50 XC within 24.

Trust me, best made plans...

Look at that! I got ... into a single post three times :)

Back