IFR/ VFR flight plan

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
How long before the proposed time of departure should I file a flight plan?

Is there any regulatory requirements for this?

John.

I've submitted an IFR flight plan 5 mins before cranking the engine. if you use FF you'll get a confirmation of ATC receipt.

I've also called 800wxbrief and filed that way 10 mins before engine on.

So it's all good.

Never filed a VFR flight plan and probably never will

5-1-8. LM can do 5 mins prior to ETD.

Last edited:
I've filed from 15 minutes to 4 hours before departure. IIRC, after some period of time they are purged from the system.

I've been in the jet configured for takeoff and filed using Foreflight. As soon as the strip printed out they let me go.

I recently filed IFR via my Garmin Pilot Android (Nexus 7) from the plane. I then completed the preflight, started the engine and called CD, and they immediately gave me my clearance.

I've done 24 hours prior and 5 minutes prior. In fact, I departed one day in MVFR conditions and ceiling turned out lower than forecasted so I came back and landed. I pulled over to the run up area, filed through the FltPlan go app, and off I went.

Last edited:
I've had delays getting a clearance when filing IFR right before engine start. But before preflight seems to be enough.

VFR doesn't matter. ATC never sees it. You can file and open it after you leave if you don't mind being on FSS frequency for a while.

Recommended is 30 minutes prior but I think that is a number of the past. Seems like I get most clearances back within 10 minutes.

I sometimes file the night before with a departure time and as long as I call for clearance 30 minutes before to 2 hours after have never had a problem!!

Usually I put in in the night before and FltPlan.com sends it off about 2 hours before. However, I've also been sitting in the runup area looking at low clouds rolling in and told the tower I was going to file, did so from my iPhone and they called me back a few minutes later with the clearance.

Even when it's a longer trip, I wait to file right before I head to the airport. Although I probably don't have much say, I like to think I have some control over what routing and altitude I am going to get. Waiting until the last hour gives me the best wind and weather forecasts and heavily reduce the amount of wasted time day/s before trying to figure out my route.
Ideally, I have a passenger and can do it all driving to the airport.
Or even better, if I am flying within the NorCal Tracon environment I just review weather, notams, tfrs etc. on my iPad and ask for a TEC clearance if I need it. That only takes about 5 minutes of my life to do

More than once I had hoped to depart VFR..got to the airport and it became IFR before I could get wheels up. Filed at engine start and by time I taxied and got through my runup was able to depart IFR.

Answer to your question...there is no regulatory time but if you are in busy airspace you are more subject to delays while they fit ya in the longer you wait.

Heck, you could cold call on the radio and request a pop up IFR clearance without filing. They may not be happy about it but it is possible.

Back