IFR Training Question

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
I am using Sheppard Air for the written exam prep. Put, I was wondering any thoughts on the FAA Instruments Flying Book and Procedures Book vs. a third party IFR book like Rod Machado IFR?

Any thoughts?

Sheppard will help memorize questions and answers but it won’t help much with comprehension and application of the information.

Yes, the FAA material is free and is the source material for study. If you’re not happy with reading books to pick up things and would prefer a different format (or in the case of Mr. Machado’s material, more humor and interesting anecdotes to keep someone interested) there’s a large number of commercial options for video, audio, and other book formats.

There’s also all the IFR rules in the FAR/AIM. You’ll need to understand those and why they exist.

The instrument is a lot of information. Probably one of the “heaviest” ratings for raw need to study heavily, but almost all of what you read actually does apply to understanding the IFR “system” and how everything works together.

Have fun with it. Eat the elephant one bite at a time! :)

Use whatever helps you to understand the subjects. Don't be surprised if it's more than one book.

FAA Instruments Flying Book and Procedures Book are great resources to learn and understand the material, but IMO you still need a program that teaches you what you need to know for the test.

While learning the material is one thing, there is value also in a program the teaches to the test.

Kinda like trying to study for a driving test by reading the vehicle code...there is lot in there and you need to know what you need to know.

The FAA instrument books used to be terrible, but now they are okay. However, they're still lacking in practical advice. I think getting a 3rd party book, or more than one, is not a bad idea. Besides Machado, there's ASA (PM3-Instrument Flying) (which is the one I used), and the Professional Instrument Courses book.

I found Rod Machado's book to "chatty" for my taste.

[Note: I'm not a leisure reader. People who read for enjoyment will disagree with me]

Sheppard will help memorize questions and answers but it won’t help much with comprehension and application of the information.

I agree and was aware of this prior to signing up. It isn't for real "learning" at all. I just wasn't sure what other material would be helpful in the actual learning process. Thanks for the feedback.

Use whatever helps you to understand the subjects. Don't be surprised if it's more than one book.
:yeahthat:

It's really all about style and what helps you learn. The FAA's IFH and IPH almost literally have everything you need to know. But the others, in various ways, may hit on a way of explaining it that helps your understanding.

I used Sheppard to pass the writtens. Then I learned the material. The FAA written has little in common with what you really need to know, it is just a hurdle to clear.

I used Sheppard to pass the writtens. Then I learned the material. The FAA written has little in common with what you really need to know, it is just a hurdle to clear.
But it is an important hurdle. Absent some specific learning disability, if you can't pass a multiple choice test you study for by drilling all the questions and answers, you probably should not be near anything with moving parts, let alone an airplane.

But it is an important hurdle. Absent some specific learning disability, if you can't pass a multiple choice test you study for by drilling all the questions and answers, you probably should not be near anything with moving parts, let alone an airplane.

The problem with the FAA writtens, are they are very poorly written. Many questions are ambigious, some requiring calcuations can be wrong just from rounding errors, and some answers are just plain wrong. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was able to get 100% (other than I did on the FOI), no matter how much studying and prep they do. That is why I say, do what you must to pass the written (70% is passing, scary right?), then learn the material and how to fly the airplane.

The FAA books are good, I also like Peter Dogan's "Instrument Pilot Training Manual" but not sure if it's still in print and/or updated. Brings much of the information to a practical level.

Last edited:
I agree and was aware of this prior to signing up. It isn't for real "learning" at all. I just wasn't sure what other material would be helpful in the actual learning process. Thanks for the feedback.

Yep. It’s all good.

I also personally liked “IFR - A Structured Approach” but it’s out of date somewhat. Not much in the way of GPS information in it since it’s an older book.

I'd just use the king program.

Work ALL the questions on holds in the question database. They are the hardest thing, based on what people seem to have trouble with. And dont just concentrate on hold entries. Understand where holds are based on ATC holding instructions. Read and understand what is in the AIM on holds.

Take practice tests repeatedly until you score in high 80's or 90's, then go pass the test.

I read the two FAA publications, then did the Sheppard Air course with the FAR/AIM by my side. Skim the FAA books VERY quickly, then refer back as needed while going through the questions. My plan is to give another quick read through before the oral/practical. Sheppard Air does a really good job on how to take the test, not what is in it.

For example, entering a hold right on the border or teardrop or parallel, but only one is the correct answer. Seems they are divided by IAP or enroute into which answer is right, and also if they give you a general direction, which could be taken as an exact heading which would lead to the correct answer. Crap like that instead of just checking for comprehension.

I can't recommend the King courses enough. They go through to understanding, not just memorization. And you can access it on your phone, PC, iPad. It costs more but you will understand what you're being taught, and for the instrument that is whicked important and stuff.

I am using Sheppard Air for the written exam prep. Put, I was wondering any thoughts on the FAA Instruments Flying Book and Procedures Book vs. a third party IFR book like Rod Machado IFR?

Any thoughts?
They're all good books. If you're looking for a supplement to clear up questions from your prep software, the FAA books are very good, though not very entralling to Read. Rod's book is useful and entertaining...though a bit corny...so the humor tend to help the info stick. The focus for the written is basically passing the test with a decent score and then start prepping for the oral.

So...taking my IFR written tomorrow. For prep I read an older Jeppesen book and followed it with King program. The nice thing about the question banks king uses allows you to review all the questions you ever got wrong. If the test was on the 944 King questions, I’ve got it made in the shade!!! But reality is sinking in that they might not be a great representation, plus I find myself getting question familiar... I’m a physician assistant and find myself more nervous then when I take my boards!!! I probably have taken about a dozen practice tests, all King generated. Hopefully I get some good Zzzz’s tonight.
i should be on safe ground going totally with king program right???
Will update in 15 hours

Good luck, you'll be fine. You only need a 70. Everything after that is gravy.

So...taking my IFR written tomorrow. For prep I read an older Jeppesen book and followed it with King program. The nice thing about the question banks king uses allows you to review all the questions you ever got wrong. If the test was on the 944 King questions, I’ve got it made in the shade!!! But reality is sinking in that they might not be a great representation, plus I find myself getting question familiar... I’m a physician assistant and find myself more nervous then when I take my boards!!! I probably have taken about a dozen practice tests, all King generated. Hopefully I get some good Zzzz’s tonight.
i should be on safe ground going totally with king program right???
Will update in 15 hours

Good luck!

Are there any new books out?
Seems like the only books in the past few years were from decades ago.
I'd love to see a new book covering all the latest tech advances.

I used the Kings Course. It was pretty cheesy and had that 1987 VHS feel to it, but, I passed written, oral, and practical on my first try. Things that worked for me:

*diligently did the Kings course
*took all 900 of the Kings questions several times over
*it sounds nuts, but I actually did read, highlight, and bookmark many parts of the FAR / AIM

If I couldn't sleep at night, or had an hour to kill during the day, I would pick up the FAR / AIM and open to page and learn what was on it. Did the same thing with the instrument flying handbook

Like others have said, it is a ton of knowledge and can be very daunting, but if you bight off manageable chunks at a time you should do fine

I’m using Gleim’s online tool and it’s fairly good. Ask me next week when the exam is done :)

I found the ASA instrument handbook not very useful.

The Jeppesen “Commercial Instrument: Guided Flight Discovery “ textbook is very very good. I’m one of those ‘you have to have this ‘ people about this book.

Update.. got a 97%. Super stoked. Two that i got wrong weren’t even ones that i marked. In the end King did a great job if you really immerse and read all questions and read all descriptions of why the answer is the right one.
On to the next phase!!!

Back