IFR Training - Opinion Needed

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
I am wrapping up my IFR training and have been caught up in a nasty weather cycle in the Dallas area. In the last 14 days, I've managed to get about an hour in the sim (red bird) and the forecast for the next 10 days is looking like a lot of the same. That, along with the fact that lots of people are in the same boat, and its getting very difficult to get an airplane. I have a bunch of bookings, but it's a crapshoot with the weather and they are typically getting cancelled. Not complaining, it is what it is. And I'm happy to see the lakes refilling. I could do without the severe weather though.

So, my question.... am I better off just schedule 3 or 4 simulator sessions each week, as most of what we're doing are various procedures, or do I just give up for a few weeks, study for the oral, and pickup training again in early June?

I max'd out the sim time during my IFR training. I thought it was worthwhile and saved some money.

Jim

Study for the oral,I would do a little sim time to stay fresh on the procedures.

I would max out the sim time as well. It will help keep you fresh even though this weather is keeping you on the ground. It allowed my instructor change up some approaches to keep things interesting (below mins, different emergencies).

I have been stuck on the ground as well. Checked the weather and almost cried last night. Not looking good in Texas for the next week.

To clarify, I'm maxed out on sim time already, so any additional time is for proficiency only. Not that that is a bad thing.

Yeah Kj, I was gonna say you cannot max out sim time unless you run out of money and/or electricity.

Sure, it won't all count toward training requirements for the cert, but that means very little. It still builds proficiency, allows for lots of 'situations' safely, costs less than being in a plane, and oh yeah it's fun!

Being up in the air is fun. Simulating being up in the air is also fun.

Hit the books. A sim session once or twice a week can only help you and you can practice procedures.

Any flyable IMC?

Not very much of late. This time of the year for the D/FW area is the "normal" unstable atmosphere with higher chance of thunderstorms.

But in 2015, we've had waaaaay more than normal, nearly equating to being called a monsoon season. Nearly 12 inches of measured precip since first of April. And many severe thunderstorms. If you remember, 6PC and I were talking about a Tornado that ripped through Denton. Lots of flooding in areas and local lakes that had been at 50% capacity are now flood stage and spillways are being opened.

There have been a few good flying days, but not many in the past weeks.

Last edited:
Things are actually looking good for today, with some possible actual IMC, which would be great. Oh, please, oh, please, oh, plea......

All of the above. Fly sim (or airplane if able) and study for the oral. Good luck!

Yeah Kj, I was gonna say you cannot max out sim time unless you run out of money and/or electricity.

Sure, it won't all count toward training requirements for the cert, but that means very little. It still builds proficiency, allows for lots of 'situations' safely, costs less than being in a plane, and oh yeah it's fun!

Being up in the air is fun. Simulating being up in the air is also fun.

It'll also count toward his commercial if he plans on getting it. You can do up to 50 hours in the sim toward it.

Back