IFR training books?

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Call me old school if you want, but if you were to give a recommendation on an actual paper and print book for IFR training, what would you suggest? While I don't mind having some training on a computer, I sometimes feel like I get more out of print on paper. Of course, the editing would need to be at least slightly engaging so I don't fall asleep while reading but that even applies to online based training.

I recall liking Bill Kershner's advanced book...but that is quite dated now
but looking it up, I see that his son apparently did an updated addition of it in 2015.

Call me old school if you want, but if you were to give a recommendation on an actual paper and print book for IFR training, what would you suggest? While I don't mind having some training on a computer, I sometimes feel like I get more out of print on paper. Of course, the editing would need to be at least slightly engaging so I don't fall asleep while reading but that even applies to online based training.
https://skyroamers.com/

For instrument training it is hard to beat Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Manual but it is an insanely expensive book. Second choice is the FAA Instrument Flying and Instrument Procedures Handbooks.

IFR training book for the written or flying?

For written, I know Gleim offers a book based package with a companion on line test taking system for the written prep.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I don't mind Rod Machado's dad humor so that's a solid possibility. I'm mainly looking for something to read as a prequel to actual IFR training. I don't necessarily want it to teach the test as I want it to give me a basic foundation to build on once I start IFR training. I'd like to have a decent understanding of what to expect once training begins. Charts, weather, a proper scan technique, different approaches and how to prepare for them as well as tips or tricks to making the learning and doing of IFR training a little easier.

I don't necessarily want it to teach the test as I want it to give me a basic foundation to build on once I start IFR training. I'd like to have a decent understanding of what to expect once training begins. Charts, weather, a proper scan technique, different approaches and how to prepare for them as well as tips or tricks to making the learning and doing of IFR training a little easier.
I know you specifically requested info on IFR books, but don’t overlook the wealth of knowledge and good IFR videos on YouTube. I really like this channel and it would provide the prep knowledge you are looking for with automated examples.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCAHvg_6KCB3MgOY_PvNZCDQ

Update? Will, have you kicked into IFR training?

Update? Will, have you kicked into IFR training?
No official IFR training yet. I got the Rod Machado book and I'm reading through it to get ready. I got a promotion at work and its taking a little time from me as I get ready for my new job but I hope to start flying with an IFR instructor soon-ish. The one gripe I have on the Machado book is the lack of review questions so I might consider flash cards or something similar when I get ready to take the written test.

For instrument training it is hard to beat Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Manual but it is an insanely expensive book. Second choice is the FAA Instrument Flying and Instrument Procedures Handbooks.

Umm...sure it is. Pick up any object within a 10ft radius. You're more likely to pick up more about instrument procedures from that vase, coaster or USB type A to type C adapter than you are the Jepp text.

I was SO excited as budding instrument pilot when my Jepp text arrived, having sold a child's kidney to buy it - and before anyone complains or "calls child services," don't panic, it wasn't my kid - only to discover that it was almost unreadable. It's all factually accurate, but was about as compelling as a vacuum cleaner service manual.

Machado's instrument Survival Manual was great (I would skip the joke setup if I wasn't in the mood). Don't let the corny humor fool you, he's a master at teaching underlying concepts that will help you retain the information much more so than a rote recital of the facts and figures. He helps you put it all into context.

I will agree on the IFH and IPH, they're surprisingly readable.

when I get ready to take the written test.
Simplest most straightforward IFR written teat preppy is SheppardAir, full stop.

Follow their study program, and memorize the “Memory Aid” sheet to the level where you can recreate it on blank paper from scratch. You will be assured a a high grade.

Back