IFR to West Houston from Northeast

tsts4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Auburntsts
So we're planning an IFR trip to West Houston (KIWS)--first time flying into the Houston area.. We'll be approaching from the NE. What kind of routing can I expect from Houston approach? If it's VMC would there be any advantage to cancelling and completing the flight VFR?

They'll get you low and take you around across the north side, then south, so as to avoid interfering with arrivals to IAH from the west. If possible, cancel IFR and you can save some time.

Don't be a rube, and they'll be very helpful - great controllers in HOU APP.

I don't think you'll save very much time from that direction by canceling and going VFR. They will route you around to the west, if busy far enough west to avoid KDWH airspace and then straight into KIWS either on the RNAV15 or visual depending on conditions.

Good controllers, they'll work with you. Have fun!

We get together Saturdays about 10:30am. Usually at least a dozen of us. Stop by and hitch a ride to lunch!

If it's a nice day, that area is quite busy. GA is for sure alive and well in that area especially at West Houston. I've flown in there a few times and I prefer to stay IFR with the controllers and they have tended to keep me below the IAH traffic but in the Bravo and away from the crazies flying below the shelf ;) until as late as possible.

If it's on a weekend, look out for the high density glider traffic at the Soaring Club of Houston. Just outside of the mode C veil on the west side of the class B.

The only advantage to canceling might be to come a bit south and shoot the I-10 corridor from the East for a pretty view of the San Jacinto monument, the Battleship Texas, and downtown Houston. But, if you did, depending on when, pay attention to the stadium TFRs. West Houston is a great little airport, though. It's where I'm based.

I can't see canceling IFR in a busy and unfamiliar Class B. That is one of the main reasons to be IFR in the first place. :dunno:

Going into /out of KIWS I always file a STAR & DP and I've always found that it just fits me into their flow and it isn't any harder than flying any other routing. I come in from the NW so I file CLL.BLUBL3 but obviously yours will be one of the NE procedures.

The new 'procedures' feature on ForeFlight makes sifting through procedures WAY easier so I'm taking a look. I haven't looked at these in any detail (your job - some may be "turbojet only" ones that don't apply - I assume you'll be in an RV) but here's what I see at quick glance:

WAAPL2
OHIIO2
HUDZY2
CESAN2
BLUBL3 (less likely)

Good luck!

Back