IFR Routing Question/Request

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
I frequently file and fly IFR from KHFD to KACK. I usually request HFD V167 PVD V146 ACK. However, without fail, I'm always assigned NEWBE and DEEPO between PVD and ACK. These fixes put me as much as 15 miles out over the ocean and away from land. To be honest, I don't feel great about that routing in a single engine aircraft. The question is what can I do about it?

Option 1 - Say, unable to accept NEWBE and DEEPO and ask for routing over land?

Option 2 - I've noticed that if I file KIJD to KACK, I get favorable routing by ATC over MVY instead of out to sea. Should I fly VFR on top (when able) and once I get over KIJD, pickup my IFR KIJD to KACK?

Option 3 - Fly VFR (when able) and request a popup IFR close to ACK?

Other options?

Here are the routes in Skyvector.

Here is my requested routing.

Here is my assigned routing.

I would like to do whatever lowers the workload for ATC without accepting unnecessary risk. Would like to hear people's thoughts.
Thanks,
Hish

Notify ATC "overwater unacceptable, not equipped with survival devices".

Worked for me when routed on the "Shark route" east of NYC.

That's what I do. I usually just get radar vectors, BED ACK.

Probably because you file with /G as your equipment suffix. Or you could include Geezer's note in the remarks section.

You can ask clearance for another route over land. If they can’t give it to you, once you get in the air, ATC will usually accommodate you.

I would ask for exactly the routing you requested (almost direct with the shortest overwater), try the note, and negotiate with ATC when they give you something different.

Cool. That must've been fun with such a short runway and no approaches! :)

File to Martha's Vineyard and then divert to nantucket. ;) Might work a couple times until they catch on. LOL

Cool. That must've been fun with such a short runway and no approaches! :)
It was. You got used to the 1800' runway but instrument training was a challenge. Fortunately, conditions were variable so MVFR there would mean approaches to minimums further south toward the Sound. We would often fly an approach into Bradley and break it off to return to Ellington. I remember once, at the end of a particularly tiring session, my CFII asked, Do yo ave Ellingtonin sight yet?" When I said yes, he pulled the power on me! Good think I didn't have a stuck mic so everyone would hear what I said next!

Hey, isn't there an old story about this? The pilot in a single is routed way over the ocean. Keeps getting an unable to every suggestion he make to ATC. Finally says, "We're declaring an emergency." ATC replies, "state nature of the emergency." "The one I'm going to have if you send me that far off-shore!"

It was. You got used to the 1800' runway but instrument training was a challenge. Fortunately, conditions were variable so MVFR there would mean approaches to minimums further south toward the Sound. We would often fly an approach into Bradley and break it off to return to Ellington. I remember once, at the end of a particularly tiring session, my CFII asked, Do yo ave Ellingtonin sight yet?" When I said yes, he pulled the power on me! Good think I didn't have a stuck mic so everyone would hear what I said next!
When I did my instrument training at Palo Alto, the field had no instrument approaches and Moffett didn't have its ILS yet. SOP was to fly an approach to Hayward, cancel IFR 500 feet below the ceiling, and head across the bay to Palo Alto. Of course that wouldn't work if the ceiling was too low, but usually it was not a problem.

When I did my instrument training at Palo Alto, the field had no instrument approaches and Moffett didn't have its ILS yet. SOP was to fly an approach to Hayward, cancel IFR 500 feet below the ceiling, and head across the bay to Palo Alto. Of course that wouldn't work if the ceiling was too low, but usually it was not a problem.

If there was no ILS then it was certainly still Navy and had Radar Approaches. Did anyone ever request one of those to get underneath and cancel. If so, would they?

I think it was used a lot more before GPS gave all sorts of airports approaches (not all).

If there was no ILS then it was certainly still Navy and had Radar Approaches. Did anyone ever request one of those to get underneath and cancel. If so, would they?
I don't know. Of course, vectors for a visual were an option when the ceiling was high enough.

Back