IFR - questions

Yeah, I think the first words out of my mouth will be "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" and request vectors while keeping the AI and turn coordinator real gentle as I work a 180 out of it.

That said, i still don't know how you "blunder" in to clouds if you are actually keeping the clearance from cloud described in the FAR

I would rather risk a 709 ride and a 60 day suspension than death for me and my passengers.

but i'm just an idiot student pilot

There's a difference between knowing you're supposed to remain 2,000ft horizontal from that cloud over there versus judging your distance to it and maneuvering to avoid before you get beyond 1,999 feet from it's edge.

That said, i still don't know how you "blunder" in to clouds if you are actually keeping the clearance from cloud described in the FAR

Easy to blunder into clouds at night, I felt a lot more comfortable flying at night after IR training.

Exactly. You can't see clouds at night. Hence the advantage of flying IFR, especially at night.

This

May explain this

There are times when the visibility is such that it isn't clearly IMC or VMC. Also, conditions change. As temperatures drop, clouds can appear and close in on you. Don't be so quick to think that you can't blunder into clouds. After you have been around a while, you will see that sometimes things aren't so black and white.

Fair point, I hadn't considered night conditions. A sincere thank you for broadening my perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back