IFR Proficiency (and currency)

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Hey everyone, as luck would have it I've been unable to get up in any actual in the last 2 months since my IR check ride. The weather has just been too good!

Right now I'm planning on grabbing my CFI for a quick refresher flight when my schedule and weather cooperates, but was curious what others have done early on in their IR flying to maintain proficiency when you have not been able to get any actual time.

Get a safety pilot and go. Return the favor if the other pilot is also instrument rated. A good safety pilot can throw in some curveballs for you. Make sure you practice compass turns and failures once in a while.

Actual is not generally a problem where I live, though. But sometimes the weather is too nice.

You can use an instructor, but it's not truly necessary. Unless you use a simulator (advisible on occasion, for failing instruments).

Make sure you fly a hold once in a while, too. That seems to be the hardest part about maintaining currency. ATC assigned holds are not common, though you can ask for them.

You can also fly IFR in VFR weather. Even if you don't have a safety pilot, and therefore can't log it, it allows you to practice at least some of the skills.

Use a simulator.
Wayne,
I use the sim over at Dragonfly quite often. From a visual perspective, it is quite immersive and since the audio panel and altimeter are all touchscreen screen it is quite realistic. They have quite a few planes loaded and would probably be able to sim what you are currently flying. I don't know how close Winder (KWDR) it to you but, it is worth checking out if you plan on using simulators to keep your muscle memory skills up.

You can also fly IFR in VFR weather. Even if you don't have a safety pilot, and therefore can't log it, it allows you to practice at least some of the skills.

This.
After getting my IR, I made it a point to fly every single flight away from my home field on IFR for the next few months, even if I paid for it (sometimes dearly) in overhead. Just being current in getting clearances, following ATC instructions and shooting approaches in VMC was well worth the extra time.
Even now, many years and thousands of hours later, I still do that sometimes just to feel current, although I prefer to find rainy days to get the real thing done, if I don't get them "naturally".

Sim at home. I'd be so hosed without it.

With PE it would make sense, but not just the mechanics of flying. I think the ATC interaction part is at least 50% of "IFR flying".

This is a good way of staying proficient. Even though you may not be shooting an approach, it's still a good way to keep yourself in the system and comfortable copying clearances, flying SIDs, etc.

I grab an instructor every 2 months or so if I have not flown in actual and shoot 2-3 approaches in VMC. I guess I could just use a safety pilot but for the $70 I believe it represents a good value for a more educated criticism. It keeps me honest and I feel much more confident afterwards.

For example last time I flew in IMC was in May. 2 weeks ago I went an flew 3 approaches with my CFII in VMC. This week I had some time to go flying and it happened to be OVC@V400. I ended flying a good hour in IMC and shooting an approach to minimums. I wouldn't have felt so comfortable doing that without the brush-up I had recently.

On a side note is there honestly anything more satisfying in aviation than shooting a approach in LIFR and breaking out at minimums and seeing the airport right where it should be?

On a side note is there honestly anything more satisfying in aviation than shooting a approach in LIFR and breaking out at minimums and seeing the airport right where it should be?

Yes. Breaking out of the top of cloud layer that would have stopped you VFR is pretty damn cool, too.

Staying current, proficient and comfortable is difficult for those of us who don't have a business reason to fly. On top of that, if you have kids and/or are married, the activities and family time add to the difficulty. I practice a lot in VMC. I also spend time at home "hand flying" approaches, subscribe to IFR Mastery, take advantage of AOPA safety quizzes, chart challenge, etc. to keep my head in the game.

This is a good way of staying proficient. Even though you may not be shooting an approach, it's still a good way to keep yourself in the system and comfortable copying clearances, flying SIDs, etc.
And there's nothing wrong with flying approaches in VFR conditions. In one respect, it's more challenging than flying under the hood, because you have to add looking outside to your scan.

Get a safety pilot ,go fly,you buy the lunch.

Staying current, proficient and comfortable is difficult for those of us who don't have a business reason to fly. On top of that, if you have kids and/or are married, the activities and family time add to the difficulty. I practice a lot in VMC. I also spend time at home "hand flying" approaches, subscribe to IFR Mastery, take advantage of AOPA safety quizzes, chart challenge, etc. to keep my head in the game.

Add IFR Refresher, Aviation safety and whatever else I can read to that list. I use a safety pilot to keep current when I don't get enough actual. Proficient over current when getting into OXB. The clag tends to linger low over the beach and runway. Last two approaches getting home had me breaking out at 280' on the RNAV GPS 32 LPV (261') and a more comfortable 850'. Around here it can be VFR 10 minutes away and I have chosen to wait out wx there until it clears.

Bottom line it takes work to keep the skills sharp....plenty of good ideas posted to keep you in the game.

Back