IFR Practice

RMCN172RG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Ray
Just curious about this. Current weather at KPHN is MVFR

KPHN 222037Z AUTO 20006KT 7SM OVC016 M02/M05 A2989 RMK AO2

IF I decide to go out on my own the clouds should be around 2200 MSL which is also the minimum atlitude until GS intercept on the ILS-04 approach

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KPHN/IAP/ILS+RWY+04

If I take off and contact approach for vectors to the ILS-04 to shoot the approach and enter the clouds am I legal?

If not or the ceilings are even 500 feet lower so I will definitely be in the clouds, do I need to file an IFR flightplan PHN - PHN to be legal?

If I file an IFR flight plan for practice approaches in actual IMC weather will I be basically closing the airport for incoming IFR traffic?

IF I decide to go out on my own the clouds should be around 2200 MSL which is also the minimum atlitude until GS intercept on the ILS-04 approach

If I take off and contact approach for vectors to the ILS-04 to shoot the approach and enter the clouds am I legal?
As long as you stay 500 below the clouds until you get your IFR clearance. Note that this gives you a very narrow altitude window between 500 below (91.155) and 1000 AGL (91.119, assuming you're over a "congested area," which I suspect you will be at some point). In addition, you may find they can't give you an IFR clearance that low due to their minimum IFR altitudes if they have any other IFR traffic in the area and can't separate you on radar at that altitude.
If not or the ceilings are even 500 feet lower so I will definitely be in the clouds, do I need to file an IFR flightplan PHN - PHN to be legal?
The clouds are already nearly at the 91.155 VFR limit -- remember, 500 below!
If I file an IFR flight plan for practice approaches in actual IMC weather will I be basically closing the airport for incoming IFR traffic?
Only if they don't have radar coverage, in which case you'd close it to both inbound and outbound traffic while flying the approaches. They'd probably have to get you up to 4000 feet (or park you over Peck VOR or something like that) to let anyone else in or out. However, if they have radar coverage, they can run you around the box pattern and sequence others in and out.

Last edited:

If you picked up an IFR clearance first, yes.

You definitely need an IFR clearance, you should file a flight plan first but if you can call ATC before departure they may waive that.

It's up to ATC to manage the traffic.

Back